Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel i7-8770/Intel Graphics 630. After installing the new DCH driver the Intel Graphics Control Panel no longer opens and Quicksync fails to initialize.

JRapp2
New Contributor I

Using an AMD RX 560 as the main display graphics (4K@60Hz monitor) and Intel Graphics 630 for encoding/video editing. This worked fine up until the new DCH driver was installed. Windows 10 Pro (latest with all updates for 1803) lists the Intel 630 graphics adapter as being installed and working properly but the graphics control panel does not display and QuickSync (QSV) does not work with Handbrake, Vegas Pro 15 or PowerDirector 16. The choices to use it are there for all software but it is unable to be used. Again worked fine before DCH driver updates!

I've tried both the DCH 6444 and the 6448 drivers - Quicksync does not work!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bryce_Intel

I understand the frustration when apps stop working after an update to other software. I feel your pain first hand; I used a piece of software daily that no longer even launches with the Windows 10 April 2018 update and later releases. And that app was abandoned by it's developers so there's no chance of me getting an update to make it work ever again. 😪

On one system I found two different apps to use in its place, which I'll note are still NOWHERE near the functionality of the other but it fills the gap, and on my other system I actually rolled back to the previous OS update where the app still works and I just won't be able to update my OS on that system again.

Unfortunately in this instance Intel was required to make changes to our code base to conform with the Microsoft DCH standards, this was out of our control. Due to this conformity it just wasn't feasible to ensure backwards compatibility with all apps but what we did do was ensure there was an SDK available so developers could update their apps to work with Microsoft's new code standards we changed in our drivers.

It's unfortunate that all our favorite software and hardware can't always work forever but that's the process of technology moving forward. You do have a workaround in this case though! If you would like to roll back to a Legacy driver and wait for your other software to make their updates, let me know and we can walk you through that process.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

50 Replies
JRapp2
New Contributor I

I have noticed that my cpu is not listed in the release of the DCH drivers? My CPU is an i7-8700 - it's a very popular 8th gen processor and uses the same platform and chipset as many of the CPUs that are in the list. Is that just an oversight? The installer sees my i7-8700 and installs the driver without any issues.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi again @JRapp2​ 

This is an oversight... to better explain, the 1st page you land on for the DCH drivers is mainly informative (with the big warning about improper installation, etc). This is where the Core i7-8700 and many other SKUs are absent.

However on the page where the actual .exe is available for download all the supported SKUs are listed. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28567/

Anyway, thank you very much for bringing this to our attention, I'll have this fixed on the 1st page asap.

Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel
Hello everyone, Thank you for your patience on this one. After checking in with our devs it was determined that the affected applications need to be rebuild using an updated Intel® Media SDK. I know this is not the easiest approach but with the massive shift to DCH some portions of the driver code cannot work the same anymore. We won't be making DCH drivers backwards compatible so our recommendation is to wait for the affected applications to get updated (per example just like Handbrake 1.2.2 did). Best Regards, Ronald M.
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

AWFUL!!!!! You come out with a new driver and break all existing apps!!!!! What an awful decision - all existing applications are now obsolete because you broke Quicksync functionality with a new driver.

Quicksync and GPUs performance are major features fully advertised and a selling point of your new processors -

THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!

Enabling Quicksync functionality cannot be related to new driver models or the model does not work and needs to be revised!!!!

I don't have the ability to rebuild all the apps I use! Sure I can download a new Handbrake as it is freeware but I use many other commercial apps and I do not have control over their releases. Their apps worked until you broke them!

AWFUL, TERRIBLE - Intel showing no regard at all for customers!

This issue needs to be revisited at the management level. I've been in this industry for almost 40 years in operating systems, real-time systems, systems and software design and engineering. Compatibility is a #1 prior!

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

I understand the frustration when apps stop working after an update to other software. I feel your pain first hand; I used a piece of software daily that no longer even launches with the Windows 10 April 2018 update and later releases. And that app was abandoned by it's developers so there's no chance of me getting an update to make it work ever again. 😪

On one system I found two different apps to use in its place, which I'll note are still NOWHERE near the functionality of the other but it fills the gap, and on my other system I actually rolled back to the previous OS update where the app still works and I just won't be able to update my OS on that system again.

Unfortunately in this instance Intel was required to make changes to our code base to conform with the Microsoft DCH standards, this was out of our control. Due to this conformity it just wasn't feasible to ensure backwards compatibility with all apps but what we did do was ensure there was an SDK available so developers could update their apps to work with Microsoft's new code standards we changed in our drivers.

It's unfortunate that all our favorite software and hardware can't always work forever but that's the process of technology moving forward. You do have a workaround in this case though! If you would like to roll back to a Legacy driver and wait for your other software to make their updates, let me know and we can walk you through that process.

.:Bryce:.

JRapp2
New Contributor I

Here's the issue - you did not just break old outdated apps - you broke functionality in EVERY EXISTING app (including commercial apps) that use Quicksync, including current versions!!!!!

And it's on a major feature that Intel has used to market it's newest products!

I've been in software development forever - if you can fix it with a SDK update you can fix it in the driver! Just make the initialize routine do whatever needs to be done!

No, I don't have a real solution - again, I do not have the ability to rebuild all the commercial products I use!

Yes, I have installed an older working driver but that will get no bugfixes, and yes there are bugs in your drivers!

0 Kudos
SLaze
Beginner

I just encountered this issue. I have a fully functional program that I was trying to deploy to a production system and I couldn't initialize QSV. After a full day of troubleshooting wasted, I find out that the Intel's new DCH drivers were the cause of my frustrations. The worst part about it is the Windows has you locked out of reverting back to the pre-DCH drivers!!! Are there updated DLLs included with the updated SDK that the that can be replaced in the System32 folder that will fix this issue?

0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

I am not currently developing anything that uses the Intel Media SDK but my understanding is that you can build with the newest SDK and you should be able to initiate. Turns out that with the newest DCH driver Vegas can actually initiate for QSV and use it, unfortunately it does not work well, it is much close for encodes (like 3 times) and Vegas cannot use it for some timeline editing where it can using the pre-DCH driver. The newer DCH drivers also seem to disable use of my RX 560 in Vegas. I've stopped even trying to use it. My next processor may just be an AMD!

You can revert to a pre-DCH driver (at least I can). The last one that worked for me was 25.20.100.6373. MS is not pushing out a DCH driver in Windows update for me but it keeps installing the 6374 driver and for me that driver blows up in Vegas (after a few seconds of editing) and randomly in Photoshop - have no idea what changed between 6373 and 6374 except they added blowups!

0 Kudos
GSlaz
Beginner

Use "Intel Graphics Command Center" app

0 Kudos