Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel support 120Hz only?

IBaha
Beginner

I have a monitor that support up to 1080p@144hz and connected via HDMI 2.0

I connected to my friend laptop which is AMD ryzen, its running on 144hz,

and then i connected to my laptop which is Intel 630 ( i7 8750H ) with 1050ti, the monitor running on 120hz. Did i miss any setting or it just like that. Tq ( dont look at my grammar 😄 ) oh and i did change on advance setting, but it only have 120 hz soo... yeah

0 Kudos
11 Replies
IBaha
Beginner

can anyone help....

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
IBaha, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system: What is the model of the monitor? There might be a firmware update available for it. What is the model of the laptop? Is this a new computer? Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? Was the monitor working fine before? When did the issue start? Which Windows* version are you using? You mentioned that the laptop has as the graphics controller Intel® and Nvidia, do you know which of the two is the main graphics controller? We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform. Since the computer works with Intel® UHD Graphics 630 we can always try to install the Intel® generic graphics driver version DCH 25.20.100.6577: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28566/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126790 Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Xeniez
Beginner

Hello I have a inter Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz  and Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics, and I want to run 120hz on my external monitor which has HDMI 2.0 what graphics driver should I use?

0 Kudos
XIIonll
Beginner
Hello friend, I bought a gamer laptop (MSI GF63 11UD-5027jp/I7 & 3050ti) recently, I have a similar problem to the guy, I use an external monitor with 144hz support, but the intel panel only limits it to 120hz, the main control panel is the intel commend center, I think the problem is not so much in the cable as in the HDMI input, I tested it on a DELL g7 and the monitor is at 144hz, I've tried everything to change that, but it's no use, could you help me with this problem?
0 Kudos
MicahvanderMost
Beginner

So Xiionll do you still got this problem because im also searching for a fix.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
IBaha, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
IBaha
Beginner

sorry for late replay, im a little busy. How do i get all the information u need in one time, or i just need to gather all the information in my laptop. Mine is 6 month old, ang recenly i just buy a new monitor for my laptop which is 144hz monitor, my laptop is Asus TUF FX504g , Intel i7-8750h and GTX1050ti.

I cant use all my monitor performance cause of limitation from intel igpu which is 120hz only. Can i change that? so far i didnt change any system or hardware setting. Tq for replay my question.

0 Kudos
IBaha
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
IBaha, Thank you very much for providing the report. I was checking the specifications of your laptop and it shows that the main graphics controller that is working with this unit belongs to Nvidia. That means that probably the video outputs are also supported by the video card as well: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX504/specifications/ Just to confirm, did you try to install the latest graphics drivers provided by Nvidia? The manufacturer of the laptop has the option to do customizations on their computer, disable/enable settings and features, did you check with ASUS directly if the laptop, in fact, is capable of supporting 144Hz? Are you sure that the HDMI port in the laptop is HDMI 1.4 or higher? Do you have the option to disable the Nvidia graphics controller and use just the Intel® UHD Graphics 630? This is to confirm if the problem persists when using just the Intel® Graphics controller. The problem could also be related to bandwidth, in the following link you will find a calculator that you can use to verify if that might be the issue: https://k.kramerav.com/support/bwcalculator.asp Make sure that the latest BIOS version is installed. Additionally, please provide the SSU report in order for us to be able to verify some details and components working with the laptop: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
IBaha
Beginner

Untitled.pngThe Intel and Nvidia driver controller is uptodate. The Nvidia is not the main controller for the HDMI connector, and i do have HDMI 2.0 cable which is up to 18Gbps data trasfer.

The laptop its self can support 144hz considering the spectifications is high enough.

I tried to custom edit the refresh rate and the intel control panel tell that the bandwidth have reach the limit.....

Theres nothing to do with the cable cause i connected to other kind of laptop which is AMD based, it can run perfectly 144hz in my monitor. Thats why i think , this is the intel problem. Since the laptop main controller is Intel not the nvidia, all the setting for the graphic is in the Intel control panel but there is no setting for changing 120hz to 144hz. The intel show that the bandwidth hit the limit when i tried to change it. Is there any problem with this? or can i change this?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

IBaha, Thank you very much for providing that information and the report.

Even though the cable you are using is an HDMI 2.0 cable, the Intel® Core™ i7-8750H processor works with HDMI 1.4.

For this scenario, the problem is related to a bandwidth limitation, I used the Kramer calculator and as you can confirm in the following screenshot, the total signal bandwidth required is 8.96 Gbps and HDMI 1.4 max effective bandwidth is 8 Gbps, so basically there are not enough hardware resources to use 144Hz:

Graphics.PNG

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos