Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20496 Discussions

Iris 540 - Black screen ONLY on laptop display ONLY in Windows ONLY after installing Intel drivers

MHayn2
Beginner

I have a Dell XPS 13 9350. This issue is brand new to me, but I'm not sure if it's related to any recent software/firmware updates. See the thread here (https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9350-Black-Screen/td-p/5912336/page/10) for the Dell forums thread.

This issue does not appear to be one with hardware. External displays still work fine, the backlight is on (but the laptop screen is still black). The display works fine when POSTing, and when in the UEFI, and when displaying the windows boot animation.

The Microsoft Basic Display Driver works as well, although this is not a reasonable solution, since this forces everything to use software rendering, which is an awful experience for both battery and cpu on a 3200x1800 pixel display.

Safe mode also works flawlessly, since it forces the use of the Microsoft Basic Display Driver. The issue is also not present in all flavors of Linux I have tried, even though they are using some form of GPU acceleration.

The issue is present in every major version of Windows 10 I have tried, which includes 1703, 1803, and 1809.

Attached is the output of the Intel System Support Utility.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

try to use intel generic drivers , standard or dch driver

0 Kudos
MHayn2
Beginner

I have tried both the standard and DCH driver. They all produce the same issue, even versions that previously were known to work.

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

sorry further ideas from my side

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MHayn2, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. First, I would like to recommend to install the latest graphics driver provided by Dell* for your system, this is because we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. Here is the link to download the latest version provided by Dell*: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-13-9350-laptop/drivers If that is the version you have currently installed and it's working then please stay with that version, also, before installing the DCH driver remember that you need to read the description since this driver could present problems when trying to rollback to a previous version, according to the report you attached you do not have that driver installed so keep in mind that using this driver could work as well. Here is the link so you can check the description and information: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28445/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88358 Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MHayn2, Were you able to check my post? Please follow the instructions recommended above and let me know the outcome. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MHayn2, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NWenn1
Beginner

This problem is not specific to Windows 10 or Dell. For the past 2 weeks I have had the exact same issue with my Intel NUC. I have Deleted video drivers, I have installed the latest drivers. Nothing seems to work..... The only way I can get my computer to run is to go into Safe Mode and delete the video drivers and the reboot. Once I log in, it will install the new drivers and then on next reboot to apply drivers it will repeat with the black screen. I have tried also to go back several driver versions and still no fix.. :<

Extremely frustrating!!!

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MHayn2, Thank you for your response. Upon review of the report you have attached I was able to see that you do not yet have the latest update of Windows with your system, this could cause some incompatibilities between the driver and the operating system, this is taking into consideration that the latest drivers have been updated to work with the latest Windows 10* updates. Please attempt to update Windows fully and try with the drivers to see if the issue persists. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NWenn1
Beginner
Thank you David, I downloaded the drivers that were recommended for Windows 7 and it does not work. I then downloaded old drivers (2015) and they still don't work. Which drivers would work with Windows 7 pro? Where could I download those elusive drivers? Thanks, Nelson
0 Kudos