Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Iris Plus Graphics flickering on Surface Laptop 3 after Windows 11 upgrade

SeattleJosh
Beginner

Hi - after 8 hours of working with no screen issues on my Laptop 3, my screen started flickering.  I've tried uninstalling / reinstalling the driver, confirmed there are no new updates on Windows Update, and restarted the computer multiple times.  Attached is the result file from the System Support Utility.

Please let me know if there's anything else you need to diagnose / propose a solution.

thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

SeattleJosh, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Was the screen working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SeattleJosh
Beginner

Hi Albert,

The computer was new January 2021

It was purchased by my employer at that time.

Screen was working fine before I upgraded to Windows 11, and was fine for about 8 hours after the upgrade.  Then, after the device was asleep for about a hour, the screen began to flicker when I woke it up.

Currently on Windows 11

I work from home.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi SeattleJosh, Thank you very much for providing that information.

According to the information in the SSU report, the graphics driver currently installed on your computer is version 27.20.100.9621.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

Even though you mentioned that the laptop was working fine after the Windows* 11 upgrade, I looked in Microsoft's website and the very first thing I notice, as you can see in the link below, under "System Requirements", is that the Surface Laptop 3 has not been tested nor validated yet by Microsoft as fully compatible with Windows* 11. Still, they have a driver packager for you to install, for Windows* 10, it contains all the proper drivers for your device that support the features and functions advertised by Microsoft for this computer:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Even though the Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your platform, still, for testing purposes we can try a clean installation of Intel® graphics driver version 30.0.100.9955 following the instructions in the following links:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

We also advise to get in contact directly with Microsoft to verify that the latest BIOS version is currently installed on this machine or to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://support.microsoft.com/

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
tim_profile
Beginner

This is still an outstanding issue, I had originally thought it was Windows 11 from the post but after trying all the drivers available from Intel and Microsoft on both Windows 10, 11 (clean installs), as soon as I remove the Intel driver the when the machine default back to Microsoft's native driver this issue goes away. 

Using the Surface Dock 1, connecting to a 2nd monitor the issue seems to also go away.

I'm narrowing down the issue to be the Intel driver for the Irs Plus Graphics. I'm using a Surface Laptop 3 running 1065G7. This might be the last machine running Intel I would purchase. Losing confidence in the product and support... 

0 Kudos