Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Iris XE Graphics

Residentx
New Contributor III

I'm hoping to get some exposure to Xe Graphics on HP Firefly 8th Generation.

I'm hoping to play Starcraft 2.

But what do this statements below mean?

- Integrated on System on Chip (SOC)

- Only supported with dual channel memory configurations

1. I know what an SOC is but is the lighter then the old model that was next to the chip?

2. The Firefly is the only zbook unit with 2 sodimms, is this what is meant by dual channel?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is possible that you have a 16GB card, but the manufacturer incorrectly installed a Video BIOS OpROM onto it that contains strings saying 8GB. This happens somewhat regularly. This shouldn't be an issue for proper operation, however, since BIOS POST and Setup uses so little VRAM and the Windows drivers should be able to figure out how much VRAM is actually there. If you really think you received a card with 8GB and you paid for 16GB, then by all means contact the manufacturer and get is straightened out.

I rather doubt the Intel add-in cards will be any cooler. They have to be as sophisticated if they want to compete on performance and there is a thermal cost for this performance. Smaller gates (better silicon processes) can make a difference, however. We'll see how Intel brings it out.

...S

View solution in original post

14 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Residentx

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Generally speaking, Chipset is an integrated circuit that takes care of the communication between the CPU, RAM, storage, and other peripherals. Chipsets are usually comprised of one to four chips and feature controllers for commonly used peripherals, like the keyboard, mouse, or monitor. An SoC, or System-on-a-Chip, integrates almost all these components (chipset features) into a single silicon chip. Along with a processor, the SoC usually contains a GPU (graphics processor), memory, USB controller, power management circuits, and wireless radios. Because an SoC includes both the hardware and software, it uses less power, has better performance, requires less space and is more reliable than multichip systems.

Actual features may vary from one manufacturer and model to another, so you may want to check with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for more accurate details.

With respect to Dual-channel memory, this refers to multi-channel memory architecture which is a technology that increases the data transfer rate between the DRAM memory and the memory controller by adding more channels of communication between them. Theoretically, this multiplies the data rate by exactly the number of channels present. Dual-channel memory employs two channels and it is enabled when the memory capacities of both DIMM channels are equal.

If the memory capacities of both DIMMs on the HP* ZBook Firefly are equal, it seems it would be Dual-Channel; however, we would recommend checking directly with HP* Support for an official response and accurate information.

Now, regarding your concerns, could you please elaborate more if you have any particular issue with the system or with an application where SoC and Dual-channel memory are related/relevant? Where are those statements from? Do you have a link or document as a reference?

Also, are you having any issues with the game "Starcraft 2"?

Finally, what do you mean or what are you trying to achieve when you said "hoping to get some exposure to Xe Graphics on HP Firefly 8th Generation"

In case we need to gather more details about the system, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and provide us with the report following these steps:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Residentx
New Contributor III

Hi AndrewG 😀

Thanks for the prompt reply and I look forward to your reply after the holiday. Thank you so much!!!

1. I've bought systems in the past that have dual-channel. I've had HP Zbook Studios for the  past few years (5) and I've just not noticed.

The term "SOC" concerned me and I wonder if it was lower performing.

1a. I'm buying/bought a new Zbook. I had these options (Embedded/Integrated memory, Dual Channel and 4 Channels). I bought the 4 channel so I could get 128GB. Integrated only allowed 32GB, and Dual Channel I was neutral about. I just want the best performance.

2. Xe Graphics I don't have an references for. I think there is Iris Xe, Iris XE-HPJ/HPG? I just don't know how this hybrid/discrete Graphics card works. If you have a handy reference url I would be so grateful.

3. The issues with SC2, I cannot talk about at this time. I had no problems on my Zbook Studio with 4GB and Iris Pro. I get New Notebook next week. I'm on CrapAir now so I can't play any games with it.

I'm committed to Intel and look forward one day to buying a system with Xe - HPC card.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Residentx

Thank you for your response and for your patience in this matter.

In regards to your concerns, we would like to share the following details:

A- Generally speaking, An SoC is becoming more popular and an "active player" in the current and future development, for instance, on mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc). We would say that users shouldn't worry about SoC and low performance. Because an SoC integrates several components in a single chip besides just a microprocessor, it uses less power (which may help with battery utilization on mobile devices), has better performance, requires less space, and is more reliable than multichip systems.

In order to understand better your concerns and provide you with the most accurate information, when you talk about "SOC", are you referring to the regular SoC on computers? Or are you talking about Graphics Cards built on SoCs? Could you please elaborate more on the exact concerns that you have? Are you referring to Intel® Arc?

We would also like to share with you the following article for more details about the difference between integrated graphics and discrete graphics: What Is the Difference Between Integrated Graphics and Discrete Graphics?

It is worth noting that the latest officially released discrete graphics are Intel® Iris® Xe Dedicated Graphics Card and Intel® Iris® Xe MAX Graphics.

B- With respect to Memory RAM, it is expected that more channels would have a positive impact, for instance, by offering higher memory throughput, reducing overall memory latency, etc. Since integrated Intel® Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) doesn't use a separate memory bank for graphics/video and instead uses system memory, having a system with a good/higher amount of RAM should help with better system performance.

C- Finally, we understand that you don't have any problems with games right now. For future reference, you may check Intel® Gameplay for recommended settings to optimize games to play on Intel® Graphics.

As an aside note, we would also recommend checking the game or app developer for "recommended system requirements" when looking to know if a specific game or app will run as expected.

We appreciate your interest in Intel® products. Should you have more inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Residentx
New Contributor III

@AndrewG_Intel 

I'm updating this case.

Mainly, I was concerned with SOC on Computers. I don't use mobile devices due to low performance. EVO I have no interest in.

ARC I need to see play real games not these low grade ones they keep showing.

Star Wars: The Old Republic or Marvel Avengers (MMORPG style games) are demanding games that will test a GPU.

I bought a Zbook Fury not a Zbook Studio. I bought it with a Nvidia 16GB Quadro video card. I think I have Intel GPU on this one but I haven't looked it to see what it is. I should probably do that.

Where is the forum for the Intel SSU. I need to report some bugs with that product.

Attached is my specs. I'm still waiting for parts but this is the unit I have.

0 Kudos
Residentx
New Contributor III

One more questions, when a video card says 4/8/16 GB. How much is actually available to me?

I hope Intel's Arc will give the listed amount to the gamer.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Available to you in what sense? The memory on add-in video cards, regardless of whether AMD, NVIDIA or Intel, is exclusively for graphics purposes; it is not available as general-purpose memory.

In the case of iGFX (i.e. an Intel graphics solution built into the processor), it uses general-purpose memory for graphics management. The driver dynamically allocates (up to 50% of available memory) memory as the graphics needs dictate and will deallocate this memory when no longer needed.

...S

0 Kudos
Residentx
New Contributor III

@n_scott_pearson I bought an Nvidia16GB GPU but it only gives me 8GB of video memory. I would hoping to get more. It's misleading to say 16GB when you only get 8GB, right?

I wondered if Intel's GPUs will give more when they come. I've seen the new architecture and have read the decks but the Partner University isn't really giving us content to prepare us to talk to customers about the changes. That's another forum post.,,

Also, I wonder if the thermals will be better than Nvidia. The GPU I have now gets so hot even when it's sitting idle.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is possible that you have a 16GB card, but the manufacturer incorrectly installed a Video BIOS OpROM onto it that contains strings saying 8GB. This happens somewhat regularly. This shouldn't be an issue for proper operation, however, since BIOS POST and Setup uses so little VRAM and the Windows drivers should be able to figure out how much VRAM is actually there. If you really think you received a card with 8GB and you paid for 16GB, then by all means contact the manufacturer and get is straightened out.

I rather doubt the Intel add-in cards will be any cooler. They have to be as sophisticated if they want to compete on performance and there is a thermal cost for this performance. Smaller gates (better silicon processes) can make a difference, however. We'll see how Intel brings it out.

...S

Residentx
New Contributor III

It's a 16GB card but only 8GB is video memory. The rest is shared/buffer/whatever.

But I should talk to Nvidia further about this.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Residentx

Thank you for your response.

We noticed that n_scott_pearson has helped you out regarding your last questions and we also agree that the best thing to do is to contact NVIDIA* Support or with the computer manufacturer (OEM) HP* to check further with them about your questions/concerns with the NVIDIA* GPU.

Also, we reviewed the Intel® SSU report you run on the HP ZBook Fury 17 G7 Mobile Workstation, and the integrated graphics controller is Intel® UHD Graphics. In case you are experiencing any issues with this device, we kindly recommend creating a new thread in order to properly assist you. This is since Intel® UHD Graphics is a different graphics model and the topic would also be a different one.

Finally, we would like to know if you have additional inquiries about your initial request regarding Intel Iris® Xe Graphics.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Residentx

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you have additional inquiries regarding Intel Iris® Xe Graphics or if we can consider this request solved?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Residentx
New Contributor III

@AndrewG_Intel We can close this. I thought I closed this in my partner account case tool but let me revisit and try again.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Residentx

Thank you very much for your response.

As per your request, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Residentx
New Contributor III

@n_scott_pearson Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos