Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Iris XE MAX + Warthunder -> block artefacts

limafoxtrot
Novice

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Block artefacts+++ when running the videogame Warthunder with Iris XE MAX graphics.  These small blocks seem to be concentrated on the edges of objects

ALSO

- Warthunder often fails to launch with an error message along the lines of "compatible Direct X drivers not available" - resolved by restarting laptop

- repeated random BSODs previously observed with updated (non-stock) Intel drivers seems to have been resolved - great job guys, thank you!

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Acer Swift 3X laptop

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
LFP 
= Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

n/a

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Software (SW)

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Warthunder – all versions released in the last 6 months at least; all Intel provided XE MAX drivers over approx last 6 months (artifacts not present on stock ACER provided driver)

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single display

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

FHD, 60Hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue. These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1.load Warthunder

2.observe artifacts, in game + menus

n.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello limafoxtrot,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Was this issue present on Windows 10?

2. Does the issue appear with other games? If so, which games?

3. Can you take a picture of the game video settings?

4. Have you tried a clean install of the drivers?

- Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

- Divers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

5. As a test, can you try with an external monitor or TV and share the results?

Also, I would to let you know that our drivers are generic and may not work as expected on customized systems (laptops, all-in-one, etc), we recommend using the drivers from the manufacturer since those are customized to work perfectly with their devices.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
limafoxtrot
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Thanks so much for your response.

1. Was this issue present on Windows 10?  - Yes, this was present in WIndows 10 (as well as Windows 11)

2. Does the issue appear with other games? If so, which games? Good question - haven't tried anything else for a long time, but just tried Rainbox 6 and there is exactly the same issue (including the occasional refusal to load because "drivers are not compatible with direct X 11" message").  Clip of Rainbox6 attached.

3. Can you take a picture of the game video settings? I've tried various settings from ultra low to medium - no difference.  Actually, at the moment it is complaining that I do not have the most updated graphics drivers, and will use "ultralow" settings due to the capabilities of my installed graphics.  Impossible to read the graphics settings once in game, I've uploaded the low and ultra-low/min settings from the game loader.

4. Have you tried a clean install of the drivers? - Yes, I have tried this multiple times over the last six+ months, going back and forth between various ACER and Intel drivers.

- Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

- Divers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

5. As a test, can you try with an external monitor or TV and share the results?  Just tried it on my USBC connected display - same block artefacts

I hear what you are saying re: manufacturer drivers.  ACER is terrible at updating drivers and the performance of the ACER drivers, whilst artefact free, are terrible in comparison to your more updated drivers.  Except for the block issue!

Once again, much appreciate you reviewing this.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello limafoxtrot, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello limafoxtrot, 

Please try the following "BETA" driver and let me know if the issue persists:

1. Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

2. Driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19387/intel-graphics-beta-windows-dch-drivers.html

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello limafoxtrot,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello limafoxtrot, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
limafoxtrot
Novice

Hi Deivid, sorry I hadn't responded earlier, the earlier driver hadn't resolved the issue, and to be honest I just gave up for....wow I guess around 9 months.  I have just downloaded the most recent driver (I think Feb 2022), and everything working very well now - no BSODs still, plus no block/edge artefacts in Warthunder, plus Warthunder running at HIGH settings at 60 fps without crashing = very happy now.  Thanks for your ongoing support of your products!

0 Kudos