Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20822 Discussions

Iris Xe crashes when using pen tool in MS Word, PowerPoint, Snip & Sketch

GusCB
Novice

As many users have reported in the past, I have the same problem with Iris Xe graphics on dozens of laptops and NUCs. All are fully patched (Windows 10/Office 365). I hoped that the latest driver (31.0.101.4314) would solve the problem, but the issue keeps happening.

I've tested all workarounds from internet, also tested old drivers (27.20.*) with no luck.

Microsoft and event logs indicate that it's drivers issue:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x6be51595

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2728, time stamp: 0xe7e53a4e

Exception code: 0xe0464645

Fault offset: 0x000000000010fd12

Faulting process id: 0x6d4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d9736ac5438809

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\dwm.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: a378240e-109f-4747-a082-13e69949d96a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

GusCB_0-1682669452157.png

and

The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0xe0464645, Restart count: 1, Primary display device ID: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics)

GusCB_1-1682669452171.png

Upgrade to Windows 11 that some users mentioned that solve the problem is not currently possible.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
GusCB
Novice

Finally, problem solved by adding the "Window Manager\Window Manager Group" to 'Increase scheduling priority' through GPO.

GusCB_0-1683798079840.png

I hope that it will also help others.

Thanks Andres.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello GusCB,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I am sorry to hear that you are having crashing issues with your Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics, I will be happy to help you.  

To have a better understanding of the situation, please answer the following questions: 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
GusCB
Novice

Hi Andres,

Personally speaking, I have my laptop (Dell Latitude 5420) about one and a half year and as far as I remember, I always had issues with drawing in Snip and sketch, and I started using the old snipping tool that has no issues. In Word or Powerpoint, I'd noticed that the issue happening with solid color pens only. When drawing, lines appearing after letting the mouse left click. So, users started complaining as this behavior is not that annoying but when you're presenting, is not ideal.

The serious problem starting when drawing some more lines. The driver is crashing.

There are plenty of posts in here with the same issue, as there are also plenty of posts in Microsoft's, Dell's or Lenovo's forums, related with Intel graphic adapters drivers.

I hope that there will be a solution, as in previous posts from mine there wasn't...

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello GusCB,

Thank you for your response, and all the information provided, it has been really helpful.

Please follow the steps below and let me know the results:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
GusCB
Novice

Hi Andres,

Steps followed, but no luck:

1. Update BIOS and reboot.

2. Update the graphics driver to version 31.0.101.3959 and reboot. Issue persists.

3. update the graphics driver to BETA version 31.0.101.4335 and reboot. Issue persists.

You'll find attached the new ssu export.

BR

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello GusCB,

Thank you for your answer, it has been very helpful.

I will start with an investigation to provide with the next steps, as soon I have further information I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello GusCB,

We have been working on the investigation, please answer the questions below for a better understanding:

• Is there any app/driver that controls this device?
  • Does this device belongs to the laptop or is it part of another device that you connected to the laptop?

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
GusCB
Novice

Hi Andres,

After many tests and troubleshooting actions, I found that the issue is caused by Group Policies in our domain.

I've reach one specific policy and know, I'm trying to find out the setting . As soon as I'll correct it, I'll post it here.

Regards,

Gus

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello GusCB,

Thank you for your response, and for letting me know that.

I will wait for you to the setting that is causing the issue, if the issue persists after that, keep me informed, and remember to answer the following questions:

• Is there any app/driver that controls this device?
  • Does this device belongs to the laptop or is it part of another device that you connected to the laptop?

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
GusCB
Novice

Hi Andres,

• No app/driver controls the device
  • The device belongs to the laptop.

Regards,
    Gus
0 Kudos
GusCB
Novice

Finally, problem solved by adding the "Window Manager\Window Manager Group" to 'Increase scheduling priority' through GPO.

GusCB_0-1683798079840.png

I hope that it will also help others.

Thanks Andres.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello GusCB,

Thank you for your answer.

I am happy to hear that the issue is solved, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos