Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance and optimization
18274 Discussions

Iris Xe crashes, when using pen tool in MS Word

_Klaus
Beginner

Hi there,

when I use the "pen" tool in Microsoft office applications, the graphics driver on my convertible HP notebook crashes. The problem has partly been discussed in a thread last year, but it has not been solved.

Here's what happens:

1. When I use the "pen" tool to draw a line in a MS office application, the ink trail does not appear in real time on the notebook screen, but only after the pen is lifted.
  2. When I try to draw a longer continuous line (e.g. when I try to write a letter), the display will start flickering on and off sporadically for some time.
  3. When I continue drawing continuous lines (e.g. when I try to write a few words), the graphics driver crashes (see Figure A).
  4. After the graphics driver crashed, the "pen" tool can be used normally but external monitors do not work anymore.

image.png

Figure A: screenshot of the device manager after the driver stopped working

A few additional comments:

• When I disable the Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver, the pen tool can be used normally. However, since external monitors cannot be used, this is not a solution for me.
  • Interestingly, the problem only happens with the "pen" tool, not with the "pencil" or "highlighter" (see Figure B). Unfortunately, you need the pen to draw or write something - the pencil is not an option.
  • Drawing in MS paint works. But the difference might be that MS paint is based on pixels. And the problem happens with smooth (antialiased or vector/spline-based) lines in MS office applications.

image.png

Figure B: Tools in the MS office "Draw" tab: the pen causes the problems

Similar cases:

Please help! According to the MS forum, this problem is related to the graphics driver.

Thanks in advance!
Best regards,
_Klaus

My system:

• Notebook: HP EliteBook X360 830 G8
    (but the problem seems to be the same on Dell and Lenovo hardware, see old thread in this forum and a related thread in the MS forum)
  • OS: Windows 10 Enterprise (version 21H2, build 19044.2251)
  • Bios version/date: HP T77 Ver. 01.10.00, 15/07/2022
  • Graphics driver version: 31.0.101.4034
    (but the problem seems to be the same with previous revisions, see old thread)
  • Pen: HP Active Pen Ge
    (but the problem also happens when drawing with the mouse)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

_Klaus, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was the Intel® graphics driver working fine with the "Pen" before on this specific machine?

If yes, when did the issue with the "Pen" and the graphics driver start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

_Klaus
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

thank you very much for your support.

Regarding your questions:

• The computer is new, I have it since ~1 month.
    (But as mentioned above, the failure has been described for HP, Dell and Lenovo hardware already.)
  • The Microsoft office draw/pen tool (see Figure 1) has never worked properly on this machine.
    (It does not matter what hardware I use for drawing, i.e. whether I use a standard mouse or a finger/pen on the touchscreen)
  • When making the screenshot below I realized that it does not only happen in MS office applications but also in the Windows "Snip & Sketch" program.
  • No hardware changes at all. No software/driver changes before the system crashed the first time.
  • Happens at home and at work environment.

_Klaus_0-1674002244058.png

Figure 1: Microsoft office "Draw" tab, with different tools: "pen" (Highlighed), "pencil" and "highlighter"

Thanks and best regards,

Klaus

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi _Klaus, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the SSU report and as you mentioned, the graphics driver currently installed in your computer is version 31.0.101.4034, which is provided by Intel®:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/729157/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-beta-windows.html...

Even though you noted that the issue is also happening on Dell and Lenovo hardware, it is important to mention that we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on HP's website and the latest graphics driver version they have available is 31.0.101.3358. For testing purposes, try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-x360-830-g8-notebook-pc/3822...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

We also recommended to get in contact, with this specific machine, with HP to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed on your device or to gather the instructions on how to update it since it seems to be there is a newer version, 01.11.00 Rev.A:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-x360-830-g8-notebook-pc/3822...

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

_Klaus
Beginner

Hi Albert,

regarding your two suggestions:

1. Installing the latest graphics driver on the HP support site was actually the very first thing I tried. 🙂 I tried again now: first uninstalled the old driver, then installed the 31.0.101.3358... no effect... still does not work.  
  2. The BIOS update I will do tomorrow. I need our IT guys as I don't have the rights to do that on this machine... sorry for that.

As mentioned, I will do the BIOS update tomorrow. But to be honest, my hope is limited because...

• ... people with other hardware report the same issue.
  • ... the "draw/pen" tool works fine with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
    (I would keep this basic driver but it seems, that it does not support external monitors)

--> What will be the next step? Is there no log file or verbose option for that driver? 

--> Can't you reproduce that problem? It seems it happens with a commonly used graphics driver, a commonly used OS and a commonly used office toolbox.

Thanks and best regards,

Klaus

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi _Klaus, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

In reference to your questions, yes, we will do further research on this matter and try to replicate the issue, is just that one of the main troubleshooting steps recommended for this kind of scenario is to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed on the device.

So, no problem at all, take your time and once you get the chance, please let us know the results of updating the BIOS so, if necessary, we can further asist you with this matter and provide additional options to try to find a solution for this problem.

Regards,

Albert R.

_Klaus
Beginner

Hi Albert,

the BIOS is updated, the driver is updated but it still does not work!

Can you reproduce that problem on your side?

Best regards,

Klaus

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi _Klaus, Thank you very much for sharing those updates.

Sure, we will now do further research on this matter and also I will confirm if it is possible for us to try to replicate the issue. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello _Klaus, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, it is important to mention that from our side, there is no issue reported regarding this scenario. We tried to duplicate the problem in our Intel® lab, tested on Xe graphics and couldn't replicate the issue.

Based on that, since the issue is not replicable, what we recommend as the next thing to do, will be to get in contact directly with HP Support to report this event and for further assistance on this matter, especially in this case that the computer is new, warranty option might be needed from them:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Regards,

Albert R.

_Klaus
Beginner

Hi Albert,

thanks for your reply. To be honest, this suggestion is a bit disappointing because it seems that people are sent around in circles.

A user in this forum reported the same issue on Dell hardware last year:

Pen drawing problems in MS Word or PowerPoint with Iris Xe

He was told to go to contact Microsoft. Another user experiencing the same problem with Lenovo and HP hardware aksed Microsoft for support in this thread:

Office draw flickering

Microsoft suggested to get in contact with Intel. You now recommend me to contact HP, although the same problem occurs also on Lenovo and Dell? 😲

Sorry, but I don't understand the logic yet. Since we agree that it is the intel driver that crashes, I find it hard to believe that another company can support me here. 

--> Is there no log file for that driver? Can I turn-on some verbose-function?
       It guess, it should be possible to find out what part of the driver code crashes, shouldn't it?

--> What hardware did you use to replicate this issue?

Thanks and best regards,

Klaus

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi _Klaus, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

We completely understand and respect your point of view on this scenario and we are sorry to hear the issue is still present. Based on that, I will send your comments to the proper department for them to be aware of your feedback in order to keep improving the customer's experience while using Intel® products.

I will try to gather all the details that you are requesting and provide a response as soon as possible.

Regards,

Albert R.

_Klaus
Beginner

Hi Albert,

thanks for your support and your patience. I'm sorry to bother you with this topic but I need to get it solved somehow.

Based on what I've seen until now (happens on different notebook hardware, with all kinds of drivers versions, but always with the combination Irix Xe + MS Office), I could imagine that the problem is either caused by the graphics driver itself or by how MS Office is using it.  

I'm fine asking Microsoft for additional support but I would be happy if we could at least locate the problem somehow. Please let me know what kind of further information I can provide to make your life easier. Luckily, I can replicate this problem fast and reliable. 😂

Out of curiosity: have you tried to replicate the problem with real hardware and MS Office (2019 or 365) or with some virtual environment?

Thanks and best regards,
Klaus