Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Iris Xe graphics and low brightness coming out of Sleep

chorobe
Beginner

I have a Dell laptop which we put Windows LTSC on.  When the device goes to Sleep mode and then you wake it, the display brightness is at 0.  It's not black, but it is pretty dark.  You then have to manually readjust the display brightness.  This does not happen with Windows that Dell ships with.  Also this is not exhibited with the Windows Basic video driver...of course, the Windows basic driver doesn't let you control the lcd brightness.

I've found a workaround where I don't put the laptop to sleep, but just have it go straight to hibernation.  Waking from hibernation is fine in terms of the display brightness.

I've used Intel's newest driver as well as using Dell's available drivers.  Nothing helps.

Do any of you have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @chorobe

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following details?

1- Is the behavior occurring with the laptop plugged into power, on battery, or both?

2- Where do you adjust/control the brightness? Could you please provide some screenshots?

3- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
chorobe
Beginner

Andrew thanks for your reply.

1. Only happens with battery power.

2. Brightness adjustment is done via the function keys assigned to screen brightness. Attached is a picture of the screen when waking from Sleep mode.  I only do it this way because a screenshot will not reflect the screen brightness level.  I circled the brightness level when you tap on one of the brightness function keys so you can see the current level the screen brightness is at.  Prior to sleep mode, the brightness was about the 75% mark.

3. I attached the ssu scan.

Again, as of now, I have set Sleep to Never and Hibernate to 30 minutes.  Coming out of Hibernate is fine in terms of display brightness...but of course, the downside is it takes longer to come out of Hibernate.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello chorobe

Thank you for your response and for the information provided.

Please allow us to check this further, and as soon as we have more details available we will be posting back in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello chorobe

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, we would like to inform you that this needs to be reported directly with Dell* as the Brightness functions are ruled by their design and not the Intel driver. In addition, the problem only starts with an operating system (OS) different than the one validated by them. And since you mentioned in your first post that you have tested with the driver supplied by Dell* and those are tested and validated by Dell* hence they should work fine, but if they not, then Dell* should debug it.

Here is the link to DELL* Support for your convenience.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello chorobe

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos