Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Issues with Netflix-App on 2nd Monitor

HMeis5
Beginner

I'm using my i5-9400 for a 2nd screen connected to my Win10(64)-PC.

Main video card and monitor is an RTX2070.

When opening Netflix in Chrome (or any other browser), I have no issues on either screen. When I open the Netflix-App, I can use it on my main monitor without issues, but I can't get it to work on my 2nd screen.

I can drag the app over, enter full screen, the preview-clips work just fine, but when starting any show, I get an "Whoops. Something something..." and the error code " u7361-1254-80004004".

I've contacted Netflix support a couple of times, apparently, they don't know their own error codes because they tell me it's not their fault.

I am using the i5-9400 on a Gigabyte Mainboard (B360-Chipset).

I am guessing it's some HDCP-issue, but I can't find any further information on the topic.

Drivers are up to date, for the RTX, the HD630 as well as the mainboard, any other video output works perfectly.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Are you using Intel graphics (the onboard graphics) or nvidia graphics for this second monitor?

What version of windows 10? 1903?

Doc

0 Kudos
HMeis5
Beginner

I'm using the Intel GFX (HD 630) for the second monitor.

Win10 1903, yes.

Onboard graphics are switched on in the BIOS.

As I said, general video output works fine for anything, even Netflix on Chrome; that's why I'm guessing it's an HDCP issue or similar.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I would contact netflix regarding their app and error code.

Doc

0 Kudos
HMeis5
Beginner

As I said,

"I've contacted Netflix support a couple of times, apparently, they don't know their own error codes because they tell me it's not their fault."

They tell me they don't know their own error code and it's not their end. They can't give me any details on what the error code even means or points at (hardware, software, driver, version, connection, account, whatever else the issue could be with).

Google doesn't return any results for the error code either.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, so you want Intel to debug an application that it does not have the code for? Seriously, netflix (or their contractor) wrote the app. Netflix has the source code. Netflix needs to escalate your inquiry to the next level or more to get you the answer.

Doc

0 Kudos
HMeis5
Beginner

I am just wondering if there is anything known about the driver, either for the chipset or the HD630, that has anything to do with video output, HDCP-settings, any other DRM options, anything to setup in the driver or anything.

I don't expect anyone to debug anything.

Netflix support is simply a bot or a script they go through, either way, not helpful.

The error code I get follows the standard Netflix-error format, which seems to be "UXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX", many variations of which google will find. But not mine.

And I am as irritated as you are; if the app gives me an error code, there must be something that triggers it and something it points to.

Again, just looking for anything I could try within the driver for the chipset, the CPU/integrated graphics or whatever.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

We can make all kinds of guesses about the driver, but the code from netflix is the key.

I noticed in your netflix error code "80004004". That is a microsoft error code, 0x80004004, which means operation aborted. You might want to start going down that path.

Doc

0 Kudos
HMeis5
Beginner

Thank you very much for your input and the hint towards the MS error code.

I will look into it that way, see what comes up 👍

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Report back your findings.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One more thing - you may want to make sure you are running the latest DCH driver for your processor:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29074?product=134898

And, likely not the cause, but you do have the latest bios from gigabyte, right?

Doc

0 Kudos
HMeis5
Beginner

Yes to both, got the latest drivers for the mainboard/chipset as well as the CPU, BIOS is version F15, the latest listed.

Currently googling around, can't seem to find much about the "operation aborted" in regard to Netflix yet.

I also tried switching Displays (main/secondary), the issue persists.

At least this way I know it is not the GPU, but rather an issue with the cpu/onboard vga.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello HMeis5

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

After reviewing the information provided on the thread I would advise testing the system without the discreet video card installed, using the system only with the Intel® graphics.   

What port are you using on the motherboard for the video output? 

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello HMeis5

Have you been able to collect the information requested?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
HMeis5
Beginner

Hello,

no, I have not yet gotten closer to resolving this.

Also, I don't know if there is a way to disable the RTX from within the BIOS, but I don't really feel inclined to start running hardware maintenance.

This issue did not occur on my old system, and since any other content is being displayed fine, I am quite sure it is an issue with either the onboard-chip or the HD630.

Again, the issue only occurs within the Netflix-App, not the webplayer, which is why I am unsure of whether it's an HDCP-issue.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello HMeis5

I believe this is an issue with the app not querying the HDCP status to the 2nd GPU in your set up Intel® graphics (only querying the 1st GPU, NVIDIA®). Hybrid graphics implementation is not supported by Intel® (It is set on the system BIOS and implemented by the operating system), thus I recommend testing with only Intel® Graphics and if the issue disappears report it to Netflix since they own the application.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
HMeis5
Beginner

Ok, I will see if I can get to it, but it might take a couple of days.

I tried an HDMI switch yesterday, so basically the video output is hd630 - switch - monitor, but that didn't resolve the issue either. Could be accurate, might just be bad luck with the switch not "removing" HDCP signals or whatever.

One thing though: removing/disabling the RTX card will only narrow down whether or not video output is working in general, right?

As in, if I use only the 630, I am quite sure Netflix will work, but that would only confirm that the HD630 is able to display the content alright and that communication from the Netflix App to the HD630 is working properly.

That would narrow things down by ruling out a somewhat "defective" HD630 (driver), but still put me back to where I am right now?!

I don't mean to come off as ignorant or lazy, but this issue is just baffling to me.

Also, Netflix received my ticket, since they referred to previous conversations I had with their support, always telling me it's not their issue.

Also, the error code as posted above does not appear in any search result. So it might be related to what was said above previously:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006V2NwSAK

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello HMeis5

Removing the RTX will probe if the app is having this issue while running on a hybrid set up; if after the testing of the system running only with Intel® graphics the app does not present any issue the test result it will give you enough evidence to report this to the app developer (Netflix) since it clearly shows that there is a problem with the app code when running on hybrid graphics configurations. 

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello HMeis5

Were you able to complete the testing? What was the outcome?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello HMeis5

I haven’t heard back from you; please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
HMeis5
Beginner

Hey everyone,

sorry for the late response, but I was busy with various stuff, including troubleshooting the issue at hand.

Just today I found about about a HEVC-Codec, which apparently, Windows 10 has removed (more or less recently).

I manually reinstalled it from the MS Store, and now everything works as expected.

It's still somewhat confusing, since everything worked fine on my main monitor, so I can't really tell if my second monitor (an older LG model) has some issues, whether the Chip needs the Codec or if it is purely a Win10 issue.

Anyway, thanks for the support, and maybe this helps someone in the future.

tl;dr: Check the HEVC-Codec for Win10.

0 Kudos