Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20454 Discussions

Kaby Lake-G drivers, it's happening...

Bryce_Intel

Looong overdue and we know that's not right, so, we've been working hard on correcting this. It's been a long road to get new drivers for Radeon™ RX Vega M (codenamed Kaby Lake-G) and we're now dotting and crossing the last of the i's and t's to make it happen. I've been given a loose schedule and if all looks good, we should have the next driver mid to late July and posted soon after! After this next release it should follow a regular cadence. Stay tuned for more info if I get any before the release.

.:Bryce:.

1 Solution
Bryce_Intel

For those other OEM platforms (and it will work for NUC as well), it's live in the main graphics section too. I'm told future releases are targeting quarterly and since this first one took a while the next is actually just around the corner. Also, all the logistics are complete with this first one, so the following drivers should be much more timely. Remember that targets are moveable though and can get pushed out for various reasons so set your expectations accordingly. Thanks for hanging in there!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19282/radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics.html

.:Bryce:.

btw, I'm on Twitter now if you want to follow me, please do!  🙂 @theBryceisRt

View solution in original post

49 Replies
littlep1
Beginner

Hi Arlyn, 

Can you please explain further what you mean by Win11?? 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
VictorV
Beginner

I'll be at close look, for this post, even closer for driver release and test. Because ... well ... I've tried every **bleep** version of driver available, downloaded from Intel, Dell (XPS 9575), let Windows Update the driver and even the latest hacked versions for Intel NUC Hades from github.

All versions of drivers I've tried, are unstable. Even on fresh Win10 Pro install (tested on 2004 and 20H2). I get "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered" all the time, even when system is idling. Sometimes there are several errors in a row, eventually the system becomes unresponsive for minutes and you have to hard reboot.

@Bryce_Intel, I agree to enter in the Insider program, like MS has for its OS, to test your beta version.

0 Kudos
VCoba
New Contributor II

I'm sure they don't have any driver, and all this time no one even tried to optimize it for devices with a Kaby Lake-G processor. They can't just go ahead and declare that they don't care about anyone who bought their Kaby Lake-G devices. Therefore, they decided to play for time until the official warranty on their devices with a Kaby Lake-G processor expired.

0 Kudos
VictorV
Beginner

Another week has passed ... still nothing.

The new alternative I'm stuck with, disable AMD graphics from Device Manager = system works stable (no BSOD).

Hey @intel how do you think people who bought a 2000 Euro (final retail price) XPS ultrabook feel when they have to disable a major hardware component in order to at least have their system not BSOD ? Btw, I asked Dell the same question.

A bigger fail is that not only Dell was caught in Intel's trap with their monstrous Kaby Lake-G chip. HP also packed it in their Spectre.

0 Kudos
AndreT
Novice

Worth signing up + subscribing to honor the gutsy OP...Nice thought Intel.

FYI, I use a NUC Hades Canyon (the i7-8705G) with Github edited files (just two setup information files, not altering the drivers)  and latest Radeon drivers.
I had to disable driver signature check at boot (once) just to install the new drivers.

No issues but I only do code, web and VM work (mostly Apple in vmware workstation) so not putting a ton of pressure on the drivers.

0 Kudos
AlexKeky
New Contributor I

did u try?

https://github.com/osy/HaC-Mini

hackintosh is working pretty well here

0 Kudos
AndreT
Novice

I'm windows user mostly . Only need Apple to test and support customers, not in need of "hardware" OSX.
Thx for the link

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Now September, 18 months without a proper update to the AMD driver. 

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Happy Friday all!!

First, I'd like to say I'm not sure who Arlyn is but they're not on the graphics support side so I'm sure their "Win11" post was a mistake. Please don't read anything into it. The only updates on this will come from myself, Gabriela, or Zack.

I had a meeting yesterday and looks like the i's are dotted, but there's still a t or two remaining. Apologies on the target moving, but that's common ground with drivers, they push out or can get cancelled for various reasons/issues. Luckily it's not cancelled, just logistical stuff is holding it up. I normally wouldn't say anything and just let the release surprise you, but you guys had been waiting long enough I'm trying to include you in the process. If you don't like that and would rather be kept in the dark until a driver is released, you can let us know in the comments and we'll take that into consideration for future matters.

For a little transparency, the driver will support all platforms so you won't have to wait for it to go up on the individual OEM websites, though I hear it will be reposted to the NUC site for your convenience. I'll update more as I get it.

AndreT
Novice

We appreciate updates and visibility...I guess we just have a beaten dog syndrom, is all.
So please, feel free to update us about the t's progress by all means.

Anyway, and again, my kudos for coming forward with this and keeping it alive.

0 Kudos
Chris_V_Intel
VCoba
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
Chris_V_Intel

@VCoba 

I see it there. Though there does seem to be a delay in when it shows up there. We're investigating to see if anything can be done about that. Thanks for the heads up!

0 Kudos
VCoba
New Contributor II

And I also wanted to ask why you still haven't updated the driver for the integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 630)? 🤔 The latest version (27.20.100.8681) was released on September 15th, 2020😲
If in the case of AMD it was possible to understand all these problems with updating drivers for their video card, then in this case, no one and nothing prevents you from releasing a more recent version. It all looks very strange...

0 Kudos
Chris_V_Intel

While what @n_scott_pearson  is correct. I agree actually, it's been too long.

I'm digging into this to see what we can do.

However, something important to remember for the NUC8i7HxK. All video ports are hooked up directly to the AMD driver. There is no intel GFX output.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

@Chris_V_Intel wrote:

However, something important to remember for the NUC8i7HxK. All video ports are hooked up directly to the AMD driver. There is no intel GFX output.

You can still render with the IGP though, and QSV encode/decode etc.

I tested 3DMark TimeSpy (which allows you to switch GPU's) on the IGP the other week, pipes through DP/HDMI fine. 🙂

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/22570240

Though usually I disable it tbh, there's no adverse effects otherwise.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
The fact that the iGFX is not connected to the outputs doesn't matter. The engine can still be used for transcoding, etc. It is thus still important that the latest versions be available.
Just saying,
...S
0 Kudos
Arlyn_B_Intel
Employee

Sorry, @AlHill and everyone else, I was just doing a test for analysis. Win11 doesn't mean anything for this thread. Sorry about that!

Arlyn

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

No worries, but everyone should understand there's no point releasing a new Windows driver now that doesn't support Win11, if it's based on the latest WDDM 3.0 stack as per the current 30.0.13011.1004 DCH revision it should be fine.

Though saying that, it's been so long I'm sure folks will be grateful for anything reasonably up to date.

0 Kudos