Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Laptop unable to send audio via HDMI to HDTV, where is the conflict?

RSett
Beginner

I have a Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200, with an Intel HD Graphics 4600. My issue is ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, anytime I plug any HDTV to my computer via HDMI, it is being detected as a Generic PnP Monitor, and will not transmit audio. Ive tried rolling the OS back to windows 8 with the same results. Once back on windows 10 ive tried multiple drivers for both audio and display, no change. It's not a playback devices issue as it doesn't display there, and both "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" are checked. The only place it will show is under devices and printers as a pnp monitor and the device manager as the same. Ive tried different HDMI cables and HDTV's no change. Does anyone know a solution to this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Setting ,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Do you have high quality HDMI cable?

If you are attempting to connect to a TV that supports 1080p, 4K, 3D or Deep Color, you will need to use a High Speed HDMI Cable. To verify you have one of these, look along the cabling itself for the printed text which says "High Speed HDMI Cable." If it is not there, you may not be using a cable that is required to work with your display device.

If your HDMI TV supports speakers, select HDMI audio as your default playback device from the Windows* Sound control panel:

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound.
  2. Click Sound. The Playback tab lists the audio playback devices for your computer.
  3. Right-click on the device for HDMI audio, and select Set as Default Device.
  4. Right-click and select Test. If you hear a test tone, click OK.

You probably tried this already but I suggest the following:

"Verify that your HDMI cable is properly connected to both your computer as well as your display device.

"Verify that you have graphics or audio drivers correctly installed on your system.

"Open Device Manager. Click Sound, video and game controllers and see if the listing shows the HDMI device. If it shows a yellow bang, re-install the graphics driver.

"Update the BIOS; please contact your computer manufacturer in order to update the BIOS.

"Uninstall the graphics and audio driver and then install only the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25860/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 graphics driver.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
RSett
Beginner

The HDMI cable has worked up until upgrading to Windows 10, and I've tried different tvs and different HDMI cables. Everything had worked fine. The issue is now, it just works with no audio. No TV will show up in the playback devices. The only place a TV will show up is under computer management, or under devices and printers as a PnP monitor not as a HD device. Ive tried the drivers, Ive made sure there is no yellow error under the management listed. Based on my experience Id say this problem has to do with the drivers, but I've yet to figure it out.

0 Kudos
RSett
Beginner

Let me rephrase....the audio works, but only on the laptops speakers. Only the display is cast to the tv. I've also updated the bios and made sure drivers are correctly installed. Something somewhere is causing a conflict, I just havent been able to figure out what. Perhaps removing both drivers and installing only the graphics driver? Was that a possible fix? If so would reinstalling the audio driver at a later time cause the same issue?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did you follow this configuration?

Click Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound.

Click Sound. The Playback tab lists the audio playback devices for your computer.

Right-click on the device for HDMI audio, and select Set as Default Device.

Right-click and select Test. If you hear a test tone, click OK.

I have a Laptop with this same graphics you have and once I set the HDMI as default I get sound to the TV with no problem. You will need to set the default audio to the TV you have.

For example see picture below. I set the HP TV to default device, just right click on it as it is mentioned above and it should work fine, apply changes and click ok.

Regards,

Ivan
0 Kudos
RSett
Beginner

The HDMI device does not, and will not show up in the list of playback devices, so this is not possible, the option isnt even there because it is being recognized as a generic pnp monitor. There is no audio option for a pnp monitor. It will no longer recognize the tv as an HDMI device as it used to. The problem is that no tvs plugged into the computer are pnp monitors, they are HDMI devices, so they should show as such in the playback devices, however they only show up under devices and printers as generic pnp monitors. That's why I was assuming it was a graphic display driver.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try installing the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005952.html INF file for your TV, you will need to contact your HDTV manufacturer and download the INF file and that should work for you.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
rsonk
New Contributor I

I take it you are using your laptop to watch DVD etc on your HD TV. I had the same problem where the sound was coming out my laptop. I solved this by going in to the sound options on my computer (which you can access in your control phttp://goo.gl/maoapk anel) then set your sound default as HDMI. This should solve the problem, just remember to set the default back to the laptops speakers when you are finished using it on your TV. I thought you had already tried setting your default audio to Sony TV. Nevertheless you got it shorted out.The thing you want now is not possible, at least as far as i know. I dont see the reason for it. Two devices playing the same sound...it will echo.Control panel / sound! And you will see the hdmi port of your graphics card, not the TV.

idata
Employee

Hi,

I'm just following on this thread to ask you if your issue was resolved with the information provided above.

Thanks,

Ivan

0 Kudos