Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Laptop with UHD620 Black Strip on the Bottom

JanAt
Beginner

Hello,

A couple month ago my HP Envy laptop with UHD620  graphic started to have about 3 mm wide black strip on the bottom of the screen. As a result the bottom of the taskbar is cut off. I am up to date with Windows updates, Intel Driver and support Assistant is up to date (downloaded and updated today). I tried various centering options on Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel->Display. No change. My UHD graphics configuration is attached. Any ideas?

Thanks. Jan.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello JanAt,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please provide us the below information:

• Provide a picture to verify the issue.
  • Does the issue persist if you use an external display? (Please let us know the details)
  • Does the issue persist if you boot in Windows safe mode?
  • Does the issue start after a Windows*/driver update?

Please, provide us with the SSU report.

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JanAt
Beginner

Hello Maria,

Thank you for your reply. Here are my findings:
1) The black strip on the bottom of the screen shows only on the laptop monitor. On duplicated/extended USB monitor the bottom of the monitor is rendered correctly. See both attached.

2) The issue persists in Safe mode. See attached. SSU report also attached.

3) I have no idea when the strip started to show. It is a reasonable assumption that it happened after a Window update (a couple month ago?).

Thank you. Jan.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello JanAt,

Thank you for your response and the information provided.

In this case, the issue looks like a hardware failure. In Windows* safe mode you are not using the Intel driver, you are only using the system on its basics, so we can discard a defective driver. Also, we can assume this based on the fact that the issue is not present in the external monitor.

We can try, as an extra, a clean installation of the drivers, and try to install the HP* driver since you are using a generic one from Intel:

1. Download the latest driver provided by HP and save it on the computer. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-13-ah0000-laptop-pc-series/20283122/model/22783911?sku=4LX75UA

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center from Control Panel > Programs and Features

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the driver that was downloaded in step 1. 

8. Restart the computer. 

9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

However, in this case, we encourage you to contact HP*, since they are the original equipment manufacturer only they can confirm if your laptop screen is defective and may help you with a warranty if applicable.

We will monitor this thread for a couple of days, feel free to provide more details.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
JanAt
Beginner

Hello Maria,

Thank you for your reply. I agree with your rationale. Please close this ticket.

Merry Christmas. Jan/

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hi JanAt,

As per your request, I will proceed to close this thread. It's been a pleasure to assist you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Merry Christmas! 

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos