Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Latest Intel HD Graphics 530 drivers causing black screen before login with Windows 10

NKemp1
Beginner

Since Microsoft update installed the latest graphics drivers Intel Corp Display 11/19/2018 12.00.00 AM 25.20.100.6446, I get a black screen after the motherboard display and before the login prompt.

If I enter safe mode or use a utility (DDU) to completely uninstall the Intel drivers and force windows to use the default VGA driver, I can use the PC normally, but Windows update finds and eventually replaces the driver with the bad one(s) and I'm back to black screen.

Fortunately, I have VNC server installed so I can access the PC remotely and carry out tasks.

Please can you help me sort this out so i get a stable permanent driver?

Windows 10 Home 1809 feature update 11/2/19, quality update 21/2/19 (which seems to be around when the problems started.)

HP Pavilion desktop 550-253na with Samsung S22D300 display.

I have also tried installing the Intel display and audio driver from the Intel site dated 25/2/2019 25.20.100.6577. Same problem.

Help?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
NKemp1, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform. I looked on HP's web site and actually there are graphics drivers for AMD*, Nvidia* and Intel®, please provide the SSU report in order to confirm which is the graphics controller that the laptop is working with: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility To attach the file, once you choose "reply", select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NKemp1
Beginner

Alberto, thanks for the reply, there are a couple of points I think I need to point out.

Firstly, it is a desktop, not a laptop, I don't know if that is significant.

Secondly, it is currently running with the default MS VGA driver, so SSU only detects that, there doesn't seem to be anything in the SSU output that identifies the Intel hardware for the display, but I have attached it anyway in case it helps.

I have already tried installing what appears to be the latest display driver from the HP web site, but it won't install, as it is for Windows release 1803, and there isn't one for 1809. The installer reports that the OS is the wrong version. There are a couple of drivers older than the 1803 one, I haven't tried them.

The one on the HP site that I have tried is for Intel HD display 530 Intel Corp display 11/19/2018 25.20.100.6446, the one that MS update installs. It does not work, and produces the black screen problem.

I have attached the SSU output with default VGA driver, do you want me to try to run it again when the black screen problem is present?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
NKemp1, You are very welcome, thank you for sharing those details and the SSU report. Yes, please run the SSU report when the black screen problem is present and also, if it is possible, to provide a screen shot of "Device Manager" for us to confirm the graphics driver that is currently installed. For this scenario we can try to install the Intel® graphics driver version 10.18.15.4271 provided by HP: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-Pavilion-500-Desktop-PC-series/9259612/model/10327160/swItemId/cp-154079-1 If the problem persists, then we can try to install the Intel® generic graphics driver version 15.40.14.4352: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25620/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-6th-Gen-?product=88345 Or DCH 25.20.100.6577: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28566/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88345 Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NKemp1
Beginner

Alberto,

I tried the first driver you suggested, and it produces the black screen problem. I ran the Intel Driver and support assistant (DSA) instead of SSU to give you a more complete picture of the PC in the black screen state. (Attached report)s.

DSA recommended three driver updates, for Proset wireless, Bluetooth wire;less and Rapid storage technology so I installed them. Before and after reports attached. All with black screen problem.

Also a screen shot of device manager showing the current display device, as Intel HD Graphics 530.

As this is a new DCH driver, the Intel driver pages have big warnings about trying to go back to an older one. Can you advise please, before I try to install the Intel basic driver you suggest?

Thx.

0 Kudos
NKemp1
Beginner

Looks like I can only attach one file at a time.

DSA Before updates, with black screen.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
NKemp1, Thank you very much for providing those pictures. Yes, you can go ahead and install the Intel® generic graphics driver version DCH 25.20.100.6577, in the case we need to roll back that driver we just need to go to "Apps and Features" and un-intsall it from there and then install the driver version needed. If the problem persists, please provide the SSU report. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NKemp1
Beginner

It was 15.40.14.4352 I was talking about, I have already tried 25.20.100.6577, it is one of the ones that is causing the black screen proble,

I have successfully used "Apps and Features" to uninstall 10.18.15.4271, and will try 15.40.14.4352 tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
NKemp1, Yes, you can always install Intel® graphics driver version 15.40.14.4352 and then if it is necessary we can always un-install it. Perfect, take your time, once you get the chance please let us know the results. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NKemp1
Beginner

​O.k., I tried driver 15.40.14.4352 and it produces exactly the same problem, after the Audio driver part has successfully completed, black screen part way through the installation of the display driver, there is a system sound like a device being removed, the screen goes black and never comes back.

I have to access the machine remotely, let the installation complete via restart, then remove it using control panel programs uninstall Intel display driver.

This is consistent for all the drivers you have suggested, the driver Microsoft wants to install via their automatic update process, and the driver I have tried from the HP support site.

Is there a log file somewhere that might indicate what is happening or what failed?

From my conversation on the Microsoft support site, this isn't confined to me, other users are experiencing the same issue,.Not just with Intel, but apparently with AMD displays as well. It is probably something Microsoft update has done, but you may be able to untangle it.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
NKemp1, Thank you very much for letting us know that information. You mentioned that "from my conversation on the Microsoft support site, this isn't confined to me, other users are experiencing the same issue", just to confirm, is there any link or article or site that shows the information you are referring to? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NKemp1
Beginner

It is the Microsoft community support forum, poster wh2019 joined in my thread to say he had the same problem on AMD and Intel and has not yet resolved it.

This is the link to the thread, but that might require login as I made it when I was logged in..

If the link doesn't find it, go to the MS Community support forum and search for <<Win 10 display driver update causes permanent black screen before and after login>>

I am OldAxman on that forum too.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/win-10-display-driver-update-causes-permanent/20288a94-aec7-4bf1-bba8-35bf678ffe85?messageId=57a53a09-e7cc-461c-a939-1f71e22e212e

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
NKemp1, Thank you very much for providing those details. We will do further research on this matter, as son as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
NKemp1, I just received an update on this matter. Please un-install the drivers and go back to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and then connect to the Internet, via Device Manager, Right-click on it and select "Update driver" and let it search for the best driver automatically (via Windows Update). If the issue persists even with the driver provided via Windows* Updates then this is most likely a Hardware issue and in that case the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with HP for further assistance: https://support.hp.com/us-en Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NKemp1
Beginner

Really rather disappointed by this response.

What you have suggested is nothing we/I have not already tried in various forms over the past couple of weeks.

I did as you suggested, and of course, I am back to black screen.

Why expect a different outcome when the inputs are the same?

Have now reverted to MS driver to get a usable system again.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
NKemp1, In this case the next thing to do will be to report this issue to HP as soon as possible, just to let you know, these drivers are installed on millions of systems and the issue cannot be replicated. Also this behavior could indicate hardware issue. When drivers are installed the full video output capabilities are enabled which explains why with Basic Microsoft* driver works fine, hence issue could be on hardware ranging from iGPU or even the video port connection. If the issue occurs even on drivers that are validated and tested by HP themselves, that will indicate a potential Hardware issue. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos