Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Latest March 2021 Intel Graphics HD Display 530 Driver caused USB and Touch screen to malfunction

Adal
Novice

My computer recently updated driver from Windows Update and also from Intel Driver Support Assistant, but the Universal Serial Bus controllers in the Device Manager stopped working and presents the following message:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

I temporarily recover functionality by Rolling back the driver for the Graphics, but after a second Reboot it went back to the same error.  I tried to start again from a fresh Windows 10 installation and everything went fine until the latest Windows Update which also updated the Intel Driers and the exact same problem appeared again.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Adal
Novice

The computer finally works.  I disassembled almost the whole machine only to get to the CMOS battery and unplugged it by a few minutes to reset the BIOS whcih was stuck not allowing the F2 nor F12 sequences to enter BIOS setuo or Boot Menu.

After booting again and still the USB problem persisting, I followed the procedure for clearing the TPM security feature following Dell site (via the Management Console TPM which didnt work) and some other forum instructions using the Setup - Security option in Windows 10 which did work because it showd the overwrititng TPM confirmation message.

After rebooting and clearing the TPM, I ran the BIOS complete diagnostics for about 4 hours! and then it showed some Hard Drive error (which didnt make any much sense because th SSD is brand new).  I wrote down the error code and booted agaun, and this time the USB was all good.

I guess the TPM security feature had blocked the USB.

Thank you for your suggestions, havr a nice one!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This sounds like it's a laptop. For laptops, you should not be using IDSA and you should not be using Graphics drivers from the Intel site. You should be using only the drivers that the laptop vendor is supplying. This is especially important for laptops because it is common for vendors to modify the graphics driver package to include support for custom features of the laptop - and this could include such things as touchscreen support. 

Bottom line, completely uninstall the latest graphics driver package and then install the latest graphics driver from the laptop vendor.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Adal
Novice

I replaced all intel related drivers with the ones originally from the Computer Dell page, the problem persists.

When I see the USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller, it still shows the Microsoft Driver instead, and the Error 10 message.

Looking for Intel drivers for this particular Device I found this page where it says that driver is compatible with my laptop Inspiron 15 7559, however that is for Windows 7 and I couldn´t find a suitable driver for Windows 19 64bit other than the one from Microsoft, not even older versions.

I'm out of ideas, I can't even try to  install an older Windows version because the last installation did some change to the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) in the BIOS and now I can't boot from USB.  I guess the problem was that the change was triggered by the Windows Reset option when the system wasn't recognizing the USB device therefore the USB no longer appears in the UEFI boot options at boot time.

Is there a way to restore the TPM to factory settings?

By the way, the Touch Screen is also no longer working at the same time this happened.

I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to download the Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update) package that Dell is distributing for your laptop and install it using this process:

1. Extract ZIP file to temporary folder.
  2. Open a Command Prompt or PowerShell window. Within this window,
  3. Make the temporary folder the current folder.
  4. Execute command ".\SetupChipset.exe /overall".
  5. Reboot.
  6. Delete temporary folder.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. The xHCI driver comes from (well, is distributed by) MS; the associated Intel INF file simply optimizes the configuration used by this driver.

0 Kudos
Adal
Novice

The computer finally works.  I disassembled almost the whole machine only to get to the CMOS battery and unplugged it by a few minutes to reset the BIOS whcih was stuck not allowing the F2 nor F12 sequences to enter BIOS setuo or Boot Menu.

After booting again and still the USB problem persisting, I followed the procedure for clearing the TPM security feature following Dell site (via the Management Console TPM which didnt work) and some other forum instructions using the Setup - Security option in Windows 10 which did work because it showd the overwrititng TPM confirmation message.

After rebooting and clearing the TPM, I ran the BIOS complete diagnostics for about 4 hours! and then it showed some Hard Drive error (which didnt make any much sense because th SSD is brand new).  I wrote down the error code and booted agaun, and this time the USB was all good.

I guess the TPM security feature had blocked the USB.

Thank you for your suggestions, havr a nice one!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

RE: "which didn't make any much sense because the SSD is brand new"

>>> Surely you don't assume that new means working. OMG! That's a horrible assumption to make.

...S

0 Kudos
Adal
Novice

you are absolutely right.  I was too focised on the issue at hand, and overlooked rgeHD message.  I will check on that too, so far the USB conyinues just fine.

cheers!

0 Kudos