Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Latest graphics driver causes Chromium apps to lag severely every few seconds

Normomeister
Beginner

Hello, I've been having an issue with the UHD 630 OEM drivers and v27.20.100.8853 up to v30.0.101.1660 (latest) where any Chromium based app or browser (Chrome, Edge, Discord) stutters every few seconds when Hardware Acceleration is enabled.

I've been doing some searching on the forums and it seems that this is the same case as the following:

12600k. Latest Graphics driver causes Edge and Chrome browser to lag severely. - Intel Communities

My CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz, and the issue only occurs or anything that uses Chromium, another example is Riot Games' League of Legends client, which is based on Chromium Embedded Framework too.

For reference, I am using a Toshiba DT01ACA050 7200 RPM HDD, and previous reports indicate that the issue is not present when using an SSD as the main OS drive.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Try the latest Intel Graphics Driver: Intel® Graphics Driver 30.0.101.1660

Leon

0 Kudos
Normomeister
Beginner
0 Kudos
edbe
Novice

i had to wait 6,7 months for intel to finally make a driver to work on video playback for win 11 !

please don't ask them to fix your problem, since is your hdd problem not intel's in this case ! 

anything above/including  win10,win11 must be installed on ssd alike !

v30.0.101.1660 is the ONLY driver till now that fixed in windows 11 21h2 (10.0.22000.593), my case video up to 4k hevc 10bit playback with hd graphics 505.

till v30.0.101.1660 i had video stuttering in every single video, with every single tested video player regarding video resolution hd,full hd or 4k !

and the video in youtube 4k vp9 is working wonderfully !

check on chrome to have "turn-off-streaming-media-caching-always" and "turn-off-streaming-media-caching-on-battery" always ENABLED !

it will use the RAM for cache and will spare the in your case the hdd for buffering problems !

also most important use the above settings to spare your ssd/nvme/whatever from trashing too !

0 Kudos
Normomeister
Beginner

I appreciate the reply and attempt to help but it is not my HDD's problem as other people have the same issue, yes it is HDD related and I/O tasks cause the browser to permanently stutter until it is restarted but due to the issue happening to multiple (possibly most) people with HDDs and driver version above v25 then it's Intel's issue and it has to be fixed, because it keeps getting worse by every update.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Normomeister

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you have tested even the latest Intel® DCH Graphics Driver version 30.0.101.1660. Just to make sure, did you install that driver performing a clean install? Or did you just update this driver to override the previous version? If you updated, we recommend trying a Clean Installation of the Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* to re-install the latest Intel® Graphics DCH Driver 30.0.101.1660.

Also, please make sure that the Operating System (OS) is up to date and install any pending updates, You may refer to this link: Update Windows*.

If the behavior persists, please provide us with the following details so we can review this further.

1- Details (version number) of the OEM drivers that you have tested and also experience this issue:

2- We understand that the behavior is different or stops if you disable Hardware Acceleration. Is this correct?

3- Please provide graphic/video settings when the issue occurs: (mostly applicable for games or apps):

• Graphic Quality (Low, Medium, High, Ultra):
  • Resolution (1920x1080, 3840x2160):
  • Vsync (On/Off):
  • Display (Fullscreen / Windowed/ Borderless Windowed):

4- Based on the CPU model, we understand this is a Desktop computer. Are you using a straight-through connection (e.g.: HDMI-to-HDMI) with a single cable to connect the monitor? Or are you using any type of video adapters, converters, or dockings Please provide details.

5- Have you tested with another monitor (using a straight-through connection)? And/or have you tested the monitor with another computer?

6- Exact version (or build number) of the browsers and apps affected by this behavior:

7- Please provide detailed step-by-step instructions to replicate the issue. These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix. A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better. Attach to the post or provide a YouTube* link.

7- Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) are fine.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

8- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Normomeister
Beginner

I did try go for a clean install by uninstalling the previous driver first.

OS is up to date.

1. v27.20.100.9415 Rev.A, right from HP's page of my desktop but I am on the latest non-OEM now, and still getting the same issue
  2. Yes
  3. N/A
  4. HDMI, single cable
  5. No, but I don't think that's relevant
  6. Microsoft EdgeVersion 100.0.1185.36 (Official build) (64-bit) / Discord Stable 123305
  7. Open the browser/chromium-based app, when HDD I/O is at full load (on startup, etc)
  8. Attached.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Normomeister

Thank you for your response and for all the details. Please allow us to review this further, we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Normomeister

We are still working on this; however, we would like to collect some details. We would appreciate if you could provide us with the following:

1. Would it be possible for you to provide us with a video from your system showing the issue? (This will help us to have a better understanding of what to expect in case we test this behavior).
  2. Checking the Intel® SSU report, we noticed the system is running Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC. By any chance have you tried with a non-enterprise Windows version for testing? If you have, please provide us with more details.
  3. If you could share with us more specific details to replicate the issue, that would be great.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Normomeister

We are following up on this and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Normomeister

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos