Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Lenovo E15 with Intel Core i7-10510U UHD graphics won't offer 2560X1440 on dual display

IraW
Beginner

I haven't had any luck getting the above mentioned unit with UHD graphics to offer 2560X1440 on two UHD displays, more specifically on Display 2. Display 1 works perfectly with native resolution, my issue is specific to which ever display I make the second display.

I started with the displays connected to the USB-C dock, however I was wondering if this was dock related so I moved the second display to the HDMI port on the actual notebook.  Still had the same issue.

Things I've tried include:

Updated all firmware and drivers.

In Device Manager removed the graphics driver and rebooted to have driver reinstall 

Swapped out the display with another that works at 2560X1440, same issue

Tried switching from HDMI to DP cables

Reduced resolution on Display 1 to see if that changed what was offered on Display 2, but no change

Tried manually put in display properties in advanced graphics settings

What am I missing, the maximum resolution offered in the list (List all modes) is 2560X1080.  

Thanks!

Edited to include requested files

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello IraW.

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

What is the issue you are experiencing on the monitor? Do you have a display?

Can you try using another monitor?

When did the issue start?

Was there a hardware or software change before the issue started?

What is the refresh rate you configured to reach this resolution?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IraW
Beginner

Hi Jean,

In answer to your specific questions:

What is the issue you are experiencing on the monitor? Do you have a display?

I was pretty clear in my original post that I can't get the display/graphics driver to offer me 2560X1440 on both external displays.  When I use a lower resolution that isn't native to the display I do get an image, but the quality is terrible and has a shimmering effect (for lack of a better term).

Can you try using another monitor?

I have tried multiple monitors that I know work on other PCs, and still have the same issue.

When did the issue start?

Although the notebook has been in use for a couple of years it was in a home office that didn't have the space for a double display setup, so it was only used with a single external display until about a month ago when we returned to the office. I haven't been able to get it to work properly with 2 displays.

Was there a hardware or software change before the issue started?

Hard to answer that because we hadn't tried 2 external displays prior to a month or so ago, and no other than swapping displays there hasn't been any other hardware changes.

What is the refresh rate you configured to reach this resolution?

I haven't specifically set a refresh rate on either display.  The first display I think is running at 59.951Hz, but honestly I'm not even using the second because I can't get the graphics to offer the correct 2560X1440 resolution.

Thanks,

Ira

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your response. The information provided has been helpful.

I want to have more insight into the environment of your system. Please provide me with the following:

• Is each monitor set using an individually straight connection, HDMI to HDMI or DP to DP, without using any type of hub?
  • Are the cables high bandwidth certified?
  • What is the resolution you are setting on each monitor? Are all set to run at 2560X1440 resolution
  • What are the models of the monitors you have tried?
  • Do you receive any error messages on the monitor? Sometimes when you set unsupported resolutions the monitor displays an error message.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
IraW
Beginner

Hi Jean,

• Each monitor set using an individually straight connection, HDMI to HDMI or DP to DP, no display hub involved.  I have the same issue on Display 2 regardless of whether it is connected to the USB -C dock or directly connected to the HDMI port on the notebook.
  • Yes all cables are high bandwidth certified, and they work on other PCs with the displays being used at a resolution of 2560X1440.
  • I am trying to set all displays to native resolution of the displays 2560X1440
  • We use ViewSonic VA2719-2K-SMHD - LED monitor - 27" 
  • I don't recall any errors messages, just didn't work. I'll try it again when I get to the office and post any error messages I get.

Thanks,

Ira

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello IraW,

I appreciate the information provided.

I noticed on the report you attached that the driver version installed on your system is not the latest driver available for your system. The latest driver available on the Lenovo website is driver 30.0.101.1122. My suggestion is to try and run the system using this driver. You can download the driver installation file here (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-e15-type-20rd-20re/20rd/20rd002vus/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Graphics%20Processing%20Units%20%28GPU%29%20and%20Server-AI%20Accelerators).

Let me know the outcome of trying this.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
IraW
Beginner

Hi Jean,

I think you made a mistake, as I pulled this out of the SSU that Intel requests community members to provide which I submitted with the original post:

Driver Version:"30.0.101.1122"

Please believe me when I say I wouldn't waste your time if I hadn't already made sure I was running the latest drivers and have validated that all my displays & cables are certified to work at 2560X1440. I have also validated that the displays and cables work on other devices without issue.  

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Ira

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello IraW,

Thanks for the information you provided.

Since you mentioned having tried using the latest OEM driver, my suggestion is to try the latest Intel Driver, version 30.0.101.1660. There are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, which are customized to work with each specific system. Since the OEM driver is failing we want to recommend you test our generic driver, performing a clean installation with the below steps:

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html)

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters that the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 

2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded in step 1 Restart the computer. 

Reconnect to the Internet. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
IraW
Beginner

Hi Jean,

The person using the notebook won't be back in the office until tomorrow, so I'll try the new drive when I can update the device tomorrow

Thanks

Ira

0 Kudos
IraW
Beginner

Hi Jean,

I followed your instructions and loaded the Intel driver version 30.0.101.1660, however that did not solve our issue.  About the only thing that changed is the display having issues is now known to the system as Display 1. The display resolutions being offered are either 1920X1080 or 2560X1080 which isn't native and causes flickering or shimmering effect on the display.

I did notice in looking at the drive and driver that we received what I believe are error events, and have captured the errors in the attached word document.

Thanks

Ira

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello IraW,

Thanks for reaching out to me.

I will be waiting for your response to confirm the outcome of the previous suggestions.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello IraW,

Thanks for your response. The information provided has been helpful.

I want to confirm some information before proceeding with further steps. You mentioned that the display having issues is now known as the display 1, so I wonder, is the issue related to a specific monitor? Or is it independent of the monitor and configuration? 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
IraW
Beginner

HI Jean,

I have swapped out the displays with others that work fine on other workstations, and have no issue with them on other devices, so this is not a display device issue. I'm thinking the name switched between the displays either due to the driver removal and installation, or because I also switch the connection from HDMI to DP.

Thanks

Ira

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello IraW,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

Reviewing your case, I find that the Graphics report only shows two monitors. However, you are trying to set 2 external monitors simultaneously, meaning that it should show three monitors if we count the built-in monitor.

Also, consider that your laptop model has only 1 HDMI port and one USB C connector. You mentioned that you are using a straight DP connection; however, as I stated before, it is not possible. So I want to confirm how you are connecting your 2nd monitor.

If you connect the monitors individually via HDMI, are both monitors capable of connecting to the native resolution?

You mentioned in your previous response that you have tried multiple Monitors, but you only gave one monitor model, are all the monitors the same model?

Have you tried running the monitor manufacturer driver for Windows 10? You can find it on their website (https://www.viewsonic.com/us/va2719-2k-smhd-27-1440p-ips-monitor-with-hdmi-and-dp.html#downloads)

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
IraW
Beginner

Hi Jean,

We are connecting the notebook to a USB-C Lenovo Dock that has both dual HDMI and DP ports available.  Since we are using  a dock to connect displays I have the lid closed on the notebook, so the built-in monitor is off and the report only shows 2 displays.

I have tried connecting both displays to the notebook individually, and they work at 2560X1440 with the lid closed and open, and they work fine that way. 

I have tried connecting them individually to the USB-C dock and they work fine. I have tried connecting both displays to the dock using HDMI, and I have the resolution issue that started this conversation on one of the displays.

I have tried using 1 HDMI and 1 DP on the dock, and have the same issue on one of the displays regardless of which display is connected using HDMI or DP.

I have tried connecting 1 display using both HDMI and DP on the dock and the other connect to the notebook HDMI, and the same issue occurs on one display.

I have tried different displays from other workstations that work fine both on their own and in dual display setup, however when used in dual display setup I have this issue on one of the displays. 

All the displays I have used are the same Viewsonic display model, it is our standard display. I have not tried Vewsonic's driver, because in my mind either the Lenovo Intel driver or the Intel driver should work. 

Thanks

Ira

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ah, this makes more sense now. In this case, a USB-C-based dock is pretty much useless if the goal is to support two WQHD monitors.

You have a processor with support for DisplayPort (DP) 1.2. A DP 1.2 channel supports a bandwidth of 17.28 Gb/s. This is enough bandwidth to support a 4K@60Hz monitor. When you connect a dock that must simultaneously support both USB and DP devices, however, the DP bandwidth is cut in half. This means that you are down to 8.64 Gb/s. This is still enough bandwidth to support a 4K@30Hz monitor. You are asking that two WQHD monitors be supported using this bandwidth, however. The first WQHD monitor detected is going to attach at 60Hz, which consumes 5.63 Gb/s. This leaves only 3.01 Gb/s available for a second monitor. The second WQHD monitor requires 2.78 Gb/s to connect at 30Hz - which just barely should be supportable - but, if there is *any* loss in throughput as a result of the embedded MST Hub (which allows multiple monitors to share the same DP channel), the LSPcon IC (which converts from the DP protocol to the HDMI protocol) or the USB-C and DP/HDMI cables being used, it simply isn't going to be able to connect at this resolution.

Alternatives,

1. Within Windows, try knocking the first monitor's connection down to WQHD@30Hz. Hopefully the second monitor will then be able to also connect WQHD@30Hz.
  2. Rather than a dock, try using a USB-C-based MST Hub device (like this (DP) or this (HDMI)). This gets away from the bandwidth loss due to the USB device support.

Sorry I didn't have a better answer,

...S

P.S. Note: The MST Hub devices are examples. You may be able to find cheaper ones that support the same capabilities.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello IraW,

I appreciate the information provided.

I understand that you are using a USB-C dock station to be able to connect the monitors, as per the unit limitations. However, the best practice is to try connecting the Monitor using a straight connection, without any adapters, as doing so can cause a problem with the configuration. The dock you are using may not be capable of running both monitors at their native resolution at the same time. My recommendation is to try using the monitors using a straight connection; you may try using another monitor that contains a USB-C port.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
IraW
Beginner

Hi Scott and Jean,

My apologies for the confusion, I made a mistake saying USB-C as it's a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock (Mfg. Part#: 40AN0135US) which should support the 2 X QHD displays I'm trying to drive. I think WQHD is another 800 lines of resolution, and I'm not doing that, nor does the bandwidth issue of address why if I drive one display from the TB dock and the other using the native HDMI port on the notebook I can't get both to work at 2560x1440 both work.

Thanks

Ira

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ira,

The fact that this dock is TBT3 instead of USB does not get around the fact that the video channel being piped through from the processor is still only DP 1.2 compliant.

The DisplayPort 1.2 channel only has a through capability of 17.28 Gb/s. While this is sufficient to support two WQHD monitors if they are connected at 60Hz, if the first WQHD monitor connects at a higher frame rate, there might not be enough bandwidth left to support the second monitor at the full WQHD resolution. This is why I said you need to try limiting the frame rate of the first monitor to 60Hz and see if the other monitor can then connect properly.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello IraW,

Thanks for the information.

I still want to confirm if the problem is caused by the docking station. So, my suggestion is to connect the laptop and monitors with a straight connection. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos