Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Lenovo T450s with Intel HD 5500 unable to change brightness after screen update

BZuba
Beginner

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T450s notebook.

I've updated my old HD+ AUO TN sreen to an FullHD AUO IPS screen.

This is the id of the screen: B140HAN01.2

It works great, expect one thing:

When I install intel HD Graphics driver, the brightness control doesn't work anymore.

It works in BIOS, work without driver (it doesn't overwrite the BIOS settings), but when i install the driver this feature disappear from windows and set it to maximum brightness automatically.

I think it just some driver issue, because as you see the laptop is compatible with the screen.

I think that it can have a connection with the fact, the T450s officially only compatible with B140HAN01.3 (and mine is now 1.2).

I've also tried to install the newest driver 15.40.7.427 but it doesn't help

After made some research i've found this forum with the related topic (but with a different notebook version):

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/w550s-t550-lcd-screen-replacement-brightness-set-at-max.774101/ http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/w550s-t550-lcd-screen-replacement-brightness-set-at-max.774101/

I hope someone can help, because it's only problem with intel driver.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Henry_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello grosmar;

Thank you for your enquiry. I will recommend to check with the manufacturer to ensure there is no compatibility problems with screen replacement.

Also I will recommend to ensure you are also running the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for the system.

Also have you try to change the brightness from display settings on windows with out using the buttons assign.

Regards;

Henry A.

0 Kudos
HHawk1
Beginner

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with the T450, same panel.

Brightness buttons do not work, Brightness slider of Powermangement is missing.

Brightness can be adjust with the slider of the Intel 5500 Software.

Brightness can also be adjusted with the buttons, before windows is started.

I have the latest chipset drivers installed.

I installed many different versions of the display driver. Downloads From Intel, from Microsoft, from Lenevo. Non of them works.

Also the default Microsoft driver does not work.

What can I do?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello hidehawk,

Have you tried something like this?

• Go to Start Menu > Search and type "Device Manager" and then launch the Device Manager app
  • Scroll down to the Display Adapters entry in the device list and expand the option. Right-click on the installed display drivers, and choose Update Driver Software from the context menu.
  • In the ensuing interface menu, choose Browse my computer for driver software.
  • Then choose the option "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
  • In the next screen, select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter from the list under Show compatible hardware section. Then hit Next to continue.
  • Windows should now install the selected driver and the display driver issue should no longer affect your screen brightness feature. You should now be able to increase or decrease display brightness.

For further reference

http://ageofwindows.com/solved-brightness-button-not-working-in-windows-10-after-update/ [Solved] Brightness button not working in windows 10 after update

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-fix-windows-10-brightness-control-not-working-issue-1514636 How to fix Windows 10 brightness control not working issue

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Amy.

HHawk1
Beginner

Hello Amy,

yes I tried this solution, but it did not work for me. Brightness keys still without function.

I also tried different versions of the Intel driver and I tried different versions of Monitor INF files.

The Brightness slider of the Intel HD Software Tool works, but only does color adjustment and does not control the backlight brightness.

I tried different tools for windows to adjust the backlight brightness, some using the IOCTL_VIDEO_QUERY_DISPLAY_BRIGHTNESS Interface and some using the WmiMonitorBrightness Class. All of some don't work.

Using Linux, the xbrightness command is adjusting the brightness correctly, so I assume this is a windows driver problem and it is related to the power management.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Did change any hardware on your computer?

Could you please send us a screenshot of your Device manager, specifically draw down on Monitors?

Have you tried contacting your computer manufacturer about this matter?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
HHawk1
Beginner

Yes Ami,

we changed the display panel of the Lenovo T450 to the B140HAN01.2 (please read the first post of grosmar ^^)

My device manager shows the

Pnp Generic Monitor

and the

Intel HD 5500 Driver in the newest version .4300.

Many people have the same problem, like this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/3t3z1d/lenovo_t450_lcd_replacement_cant_change_brightness/ https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/3t3z1d/lenovo_t450_lcd_replacement_cant_change_brightness/

But it works perfectly running on Linux and also before Windows is started, even the brightness keys of the keyboard are working.

Regards

Martin

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Please bear in mind that our graphics drive does not offer any brightness control feature. If you are unable to use Function keys after loading windows or loading Intel graphics driver, it might be that your computer model requires drivers directly from your computer manufacturer. Those drivers need to interact with the graphics V-BIOS and any power management settings your computer may offer.

Regards.

0 Kudos
yjun2
Beginner

you need to reinstall your old crappy panel

then u need ubuntu live on usb then u need a copy of ur crappy panel edid

sudo apt-get install read-edid

sudo get-edid > edidbackup.bin

find ur manufacturer and product id

reinstall good panel then use more complex process to write the manufacturer and product id to ur good panel

0 Kudos
DVlad5
Beginner

Hi

I have the same issue with an IVO057E - M140NWR6 R1 on Lenovo T450.

Now intel drivers support edid override.

With EnTech SoftMCCS I have DDC/CI not supported (missing DPtx servces).

Has someone solved this?

0 Kudos