Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Limited resolution to * x 1080

Paolo95
Beginner

Hi all,

I cannot setup any resolution higher than 2560 x 1080 on my PC running the Intel UHD630 GPU.

- Display and PC connected via HDMI (tried multiple cables; cable confirmed supporting higher resolution with different setup)

- Single GPU

- Display: Philips 346P1C

- Latest Intel drivers as well MSI selected drivers tested

- All required additional information attached

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Paolo95,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• Have you checked for any software/firmware update from the monitor side?
  • Was this configuration working fine at a certain point? Or this is the first time that you are using this setup?
  • For testing purposes, have you tried differente monitors with the same cable? If so, are you able to get higher resolutions?
  • What is the resolution that you are looking to set?

After checking the reports we can clearly see that your computer is workling with the latest OS and graphics divers version. I would recommend to ensure that your motherboard is running the latest BIOS version for top performace.

You can check it here.

Note: Please check with your motherboard manufacturer for guidance before making any changes in BIOS.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician 

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
Paolo95
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

thanks for your swift response.

• Have you checked for any software/firmware update from the monitor side? -> Yes, the monitor is brand new and no FW updates are available.
  • Was this configuration working fine at a certain point? Or this is the first time that you are using this setup? -> This setup was never working with any higher resolution than "* x 1080" on this particular screen
  • For testing purposes, have you tried differente monitors with the same cable? If so, are you able to get higher resolutions? -> I have tried the same cable with different monitors and the resolution can go higher, e.g. * x 1200, is working fine.
  • What is the resolution that you are looking to set? -> UltraWide QHD 3.440 x 1.440 Pixel

Some additional information that might be useful based on additional testing:

I have tried connecting two different laptops (UHD 620; HD 520) via HDMI (same cable) and it's as well limited to * x 1080. As soon as I connect the laptops via USB C to a lightning dock in between and connect the dock with the screen via HDMI, resolution can be set to the expected 3440 x 1440.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Paolo95,

Thank you for your response and the additional information provided.

Were you able to perform the BIOS update of your computer? If so, please confirm the version and do you noticed any improvement?

Based on the graphics report, we can determine that the resolution that you are trying to set is supported for the monitor.

As the cable is working fine in another computers and you are able to set higher resolutions, we might need to take in consideration some other factors related to the port.

Please check with you motherboard manufacturer to check HDMI firmware (if applicable), supported and tested resolutions and monitor support.

Additionally, you can try removing the Intel Graphics from your system until your computer is working with the Microsoft* Basic Display Adapter.

Please check if the behavior persists after that. We will be waiting for your response to check results.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Paolo95
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

the latest Bios update was already in place with my initial post- in addition I have verified any possible GPU setting in the Bios settings as well - without any luck.

Interesting:

It took me several attempts to un-install the existing Graphic card driver to reach the Microsoft* Basic Display Adapter. There I have only three very low resolution available and within a minute automatically the UHD 630 driver version from June is installed automatically and overwritting the "Basic Display Adapter" again.

After that I tried to install the latest available driver which is displayed as "installed" but showing an error in the events view:

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9c205a39-1250-487d-abd7-e831c6290539}" />
  <EventID>411</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-10-06T19:18:38.2545821Z" />
  <EventRecordID>1294</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="10036" />
  <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration</Channel>
  <Computer>DESKTOP-N3U49VK</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="DeviceInstanceId">PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3E92&SUBSYS_7B461462&REV_00\3&11583659&0&10</Data>
  <Data Name="DriverName">oem122.inf</Data>
  <Data Name="ClassGuid">{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}</Data>
  <Data Name="ServiceName">igfx</Data>
  <Data Name="LowerFilters" />
  <Data Name="UpperFilters" />
  <Data Name="Problem">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="Status">0xc00000e5</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Is there a way to delete / ensure that the "june" driver is not installed within a short timeframe?
0 Kudos
Paolo95
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

update:

I managed to use the Display Driver Uninstaller to ensure that the Microsoft Update is not fetching "new" drivers from the Update package and removed all potential old references to GPU or display drivers. 

Still no progress.

After removal and having the basic adapter, I re-installed the latest available driver. But still getting stuck on 2560x1080 resolution.

I am getting out of ideas.

In parallel I have opened a support case with MSI to get their feedback and opinion as well.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Paolo95,

Thank you for the update.

I understand that you were able to stop the automatic updates of the Graphics driver from Microsoft*

To answer your original questions, the way to ensure that the installation won’t occur would be disconnecting the device from the network connection or via a software with this purpose.

This is because, probably the manufacturer detects that the June driver is unique and required for the computer. Causing the OS to download and install it from the repositories.

As there were no changes on the behavior after different drivers tested, and the firmware is up to date you might need to check with MSI* and requested an updated customized driver for your device.

Additionally, based on the reports It is correct that the Intel® UHD Graphics 630 controller may support this resolution, however, this depends upon the video output that is in use and other facts.

Actual capabilities for supported resolutions may vary from one system to another depending on system configuration.

Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) may limit functionality and features. Please checkwith the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature and port capabilities.

If you have any update after checking with MSI, please let us know.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Paolo95,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Hello Paolo95,, 

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question and we'll be glad to assist you.

Note:Keep in mind that this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.

0 Kudos