Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20951 Discussions

Lower 2nd monitor resolution since last Intel XE graphics driver update

StefanL1
Beginner

I have a 3 monitor setup. I connect an USB 3.0 hub to the USC-C interface. The USB hub has 2 HDMI ports.

Before the last graphic driver  update, I achieved 1900x1200 on monitor 2, and 3840x2160 on the 3rd.

Since the last update, I only get 1024x768 on the 2nd monitor, while still getting 3840x2160 on the third.

However, this only happens in Windows 11. On Linux Mint 20, I still get the 1900x1200/3840x2160.

Can you please advise?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello StefanL1

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry you are experiencing issues when trying to set a resolution on your monitor.

Please let us know the following information so we can further assist:

• What is the driver version that caused the issue and the version that used to work?
  • If you roll back to the previous version, can you set the desired resolution again?
  • Create a log file with the Intel® System Support Utility and attach it to your response for more information on the hardware configuration. 
  • Create a System report following these instructions. Only use the instructions under Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC)  

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
StefanL1
Beginner

Hugo,

to answer your question:

• What is the driver version that caused the issue and the version that used to work?

driver version causing the issu:e

Version: 31.0.101.4575 Release date:July 19, 2023 Size: 620.31 MB

driver version that worked

Version: 31.0.101.4502 Release date:June 21, 2023 Size: 610.47 MB

• If you roll back to the previous version, can you set the desired resolution again?

i rolled it back today, but it did not allow me to set the desired resolution. i will continue to load earlier/older versions to see if that will re-enable the desire resolution

see attached

• Create a System report following these instructions. Only use the instructions under Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC)  

see attached. the system report shows that the dell monitor should be able to support up to 1900x1200 resolution. Which it did until several driver versions ago.

Thank you for looking into this.

Stefan

0 Kudos
StefanL1
Beginner

Hugo,

i went further back and installed Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.4369 - and it restored the capability for the Dell monitor to display 1900x1200!

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello StefanL1

Please share with us the information requested in our previous post so we can further help you with this issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
StefanL1
Beginner

Hugo,

thank you for looking into this. 

One thing I want to try before replacing the video driver - is to exchange the usb-c hub that i connect the vga and the hdmi monitor to with a different one. 

After that, I will go through the process you described. The new usb-c hub will be here tomorrow. I will have an answer back to you by Friday.

Thank you,
Stefan

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello StefanL1

I would recommend testing the driver version provided by your system manufacturer the version is 31.0.101.4091, install it by using Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to remove the currently installed driver.

In case the issue persists you can also use a tool like Custom Display Resolution to add the desired resolution as selectable within the OS.

If after the above steps the issue still happens, please let us know if you were able to test a different USB hub, wat is its make and model and what type of cable is being used to connect the hub to the monitor.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello StefanL1

Have you had the chance to try our latest recommendations? Please let us know if you were able to test the driver provided by your system manufacturer or if the Custom Display Resolution tool helped with this issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
StefanL1
Beginner

Hugo,

thank you for the follow-up. I have upgraded to the latest driver again - and surprise, it still kept the high resolution. Now I believe in magic again (just kidding). However, this seems to be a problem restricted to Windows, as on my Linux Mint 21 installation, I get 1900x1200, 1900x1200 and 4k just fine. LM is my daily driver now.

I will continue to dabble with the custom resolution tool you mentioned, to see if i can bend win11 to my will 🙂

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello StefanL1

It is rather interesting the resolution got selectable again after reinstalling the driver, if you used Display Driver Uninstaller that might have helped since it deletes previous driver installations, however, as you mentioned seems to be related to Windows, something might have not updated correctly the first time the driver was installed.

Would you like to continue with the closure of this thread or are there any other questions related to this topic we can help with?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
StefanL1
Beginner

Hugo,

I think it is a good time to close the thread. When I find the time, I will do a complete uninstall and reinstall and then possible a custom display resolution setting. Thank you for putting me on the right track with this.

Best regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello StefanL1

Glad to be of assistance, we will now close this thread you can feel free to open a new topic in case you have further questions or need more assistance.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos