Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

MS Outlook partially freezing

TheMixy
Beginner

I have a Windows 10 PRO INTEL NUC ( i7-10710U ) computer with MS Office Home&Business 2019 installed and I use 2 4K displays (one connected via display port and another via hdmi cable).

Computer is fully updated (Windows, Office and INTEL drivers via Intel driver assistant).

Since I bought the computer in December 2020 I'm experiencing problems with Outlook, especially with the message window. It often happens that part of the window acts like is frozen (can't click on anything or can't select text from the body of the message), but on the other hand part of the window works just fine (for example the menus).

As I'm writing this post I'm writing a new email and the status of the message window is:

• frozen/irresponsive: message body (text), ribbon/menu
  • working: from, to and cc fields

I have no similar problems whatsoever with other Office products (Excel, Word) or other Windows products.

What I have already tried:

- complete reinstall of Windows (with hard drive format)

- complete reinstall of MS Office 32-bit (2x times)

- uninstall MS Office 32-bit and a fresh install of MS Office 64-bit

- manual reinstall of Intel graphics drivers (3x times)

- (un)checking the enable graphic acceleration in Outlook options

Nothing helped.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

Thank you.

M

0 Kudos
27 Replies
TheMixy
Beginner

Forgot to mention:

The first NUC I got in December also had problems with secondary display not getting any signal and was black. So I sent to official Intel service in my country and they replaced it with a brand new one (February 2021). The problem with the secondary display was resolved, but the Outlook problem remains.

Also, if I use this computer to connect to a remote (HP desktop in my office) Windows 10 machine with the same Office version installed I experience the same Outlook problems on the remote desktop. But, if I use the office computer directly (in the office) there are no such problems...

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

You didn't mention the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant ... did you download and run it? 

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You need to work with Microsoft for Outlook problems.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11, aka the next Vista, has a centered task bar and lots of HYPE]

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner

Thank you for the reply, but I do not agree that it can be an Outlook problem, because it's very specific to my NUC.

We have almost 20 different computers (desktop, NUC and laptops) in my company and I'm the only one with this problem. Me personally I have 3 work computers (as mentioned a desktop in the office, a NUC for remote and a laptop), and the NUC in question is the only one with this problem.

All the computers mentioned above have Office 2016 or 2019 Home&Business installed.

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner

EDIT:

I do have a problem with another Windows app (I forgot when writing the post) and it is Deezer for Windows Desktop. It also randomly freezes.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Have you tried reseating/swapping/replacing your memory?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11, aka the next Vista, has a centered task bar and lots of HYPE]

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner

Like I said NUC was completely replaced with a new one 2-3 months after purchase. Had memory been the problem, then I presume the problem would go away with the new unit...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Why would you think that? The case is exactly the opposite; if memory was the problem and you moved this memory to another system, then the problem moves with it.

...S

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

And you think NEW always means WORKING? No, bad assumption!

...S

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner

I agree, but what are the odds of two new units having the same RAM problem and both being purchased by me...

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

@TheMixy TheMixy

It sounds like it could be a conflict with another program ... did you try to open Outlook in safe mode?

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner

I did when the problem first started occurring, but haven't in a while now. I'll give it another try.

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner

Hello,

I tested today and same error even in safe mode.

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi @TheMixy 

Please provide me with the Intel® System Support Utility (SSU) log file, I would like to check your system software and drivers.
I also need to clearly identify the NUC model you have, we have NUC models that include the memory, storage, and the operating system, if you have one of these units and it was replaced then the memory was replaced as well. If you have a barebone system that doesn't include memory, it is possible that when you replaced the unit, the memory was swapped from the defective system over to the new system. I can check the NUC model with the information provided by the SSU log file.

When Outlook* partially freezes, can you still use other applications? I assume the answer is yes. Can you access the TaskBar and check the Outlook CPU, Memory, Disk, and Memory utilization? It would be useful if you can provide me with a screenshot. 

You can use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool to test your memory, open the Start menu and type “Windows Memory Diagnostic”, and press Enter. You can also press Windows Key + R, type “mdsched.exe” into the Run dialog that appears, and press Enter. You'll need to reboot your computer to perform the test. 
You can also use Memtest86* application to test your memory, refer to https://www.memtest86.com/

Regards,
Ronny G

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner

Hello Ronny,

I will perform the memory test and SSU log file and come back to you. Just in case I checked with our hardware supplier, if memory was replaced or the same when I got the new NUC (but I think it was) - I will also get back on this when I get the reply.

As for other programs - everything else works fine after Outlook partially freezes (except for Deezer which also sometimes freezes, but this happens app. 1x per week).

Just as I'm writing this a New message window partially froze - I can't select anything from the dropdown menus, nor can I edit text. On the other hand I can write into "to", "cc", "bcc", "subject" fields. As you asked I'm attaching a print screen from TaskBar (CPE is CPU, Pomnilnik is Memory, Disk is Hard drive, Omrežje is Network, GPE is GPU). I have a total of 32 GB RAM.

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner

So, so I did the memory check and everything is OK. No problems found with Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool .

I also have the Intel SSU log. Can I send it to you in a private message?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You should always feel free to send messages to any of the Intel Agents involved in an active case. Just click on the little mailbox icon on the right-hand end of the Communities banner to get to the page where you can create such messages. Remember, however, that doing so precludes other members of the community from being able to lend their expertise to the issue.

...S

0 Kudos
TheMixy
Beginner

I'm attaching the SSU log. Hope it helps.

0 Kudos