Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Maintain "Scale Full Screen" after physically rotating the tablet

FAndr4
Beginner

Hi!

We are testing a new notebook/tablet with Windows 10 Pro to run our company applications. It has a Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8350 CPU @ 1.44GHz processor.

The applications must run under 800x600 video resolution.

The tablet has a 1920x1080 screen, so we set this to 800x600 and configure "Scale Full Screen" under Intel Control Panel.

This will do the job, but when we rotate physically the tablet the Intel driver resets the configuration to "Maintain Aspect Ratio" and we get black bars on either side of the screen.

When we rotate back to the old orientation we still get the black bars. Looking under Intel Control Panel we see that the setting for Scale was reverted to "Maintain Aspect Ratio".

This problem occurs only when we rotate the screen. If we don't, the "Scale Full Screen" will persist even if we turn-off and turn-on the machine.

We had played with Intel Control Panel options, but nothing seems to change this behavior.

Does anyone have any ideas to help us with this?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello FAndr4, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. First, what I can suggest doing is to download and install the latest graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the system, making sure to first uninstall the current one in device manager. Also, make sure to have the system disconnected from the internet during the uninstall and re-install so that Windows* update does not add a different driver version. Also, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter. 3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 4. Attach the report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
FAndr4
Beginner

Hello, David.

Sorry for the delay.

I'm still looking for a solution to this problem. I had installed the newer drivers for the hardware, but also tried old versions. In both cases, the computer was not connected to the internet.

I attached the result of dxdiag and hope this will give you more details.

I tested this situation in another hardware (a RCA W101_V2 tablet) and this problem did not occur. It has an old version of Intel HD Graphics driver which is not compatible with the new hardware (a Positivo Q432A convertible note/tablet).

Thank you.

Fabiano.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello FAndr4, Thank you for your response. I am currently reviewing the DxDiag report you have attached; however, I would like to request a video of what happens when you rotate the screen so I can have an example as well. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
FAndr4
Beginner

Hi David!

Here is a video that shows the problem. If you need any other information, please let me know.

Thank you,

Fabiano

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello FAndr4, Thank you for your response. Try selecting the option that says "Override application settings" and see if the issue happens. If it does, please try creating a profile with this and save it, use the profile and try rotating the screen to see if the issue persists. Let me know the outcome please. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
FAndr4
Beginner

Hi David.

Before asking you for help I tried both things unsuccessfully. Perhaps the graphics driver is receiving some event when the rotation occurs and it is reseting this configuration. It seems to be a driver issue. The point is that this machine (with rotation enabled) becomes unusable for our purposes. Could you give me any other suggestions? Maybe a registry change to tune the driver behavior?

Thank you,

Fabiano.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello FAndr4, Thank you for your response. To look more in-depth we will need some specific information, in fact, let's start with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Also, I will need you to provide me with all the information requested in the link below and attach it to this thread: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490AGdSAM/important-template-for-submitting-a-graphics-bug Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
FAndr4
Beginner

Hello David.

I have attached the files with the information you asked. Hope this will help you to find a solution to this problem.

If you need any other information, please let me know.

Thank you,

Fabiano.

0 Kudos
FAndr4
Beginner

Here is the Graphics bug report.

0 Kudos
FAndr4
Beginner

... and the DxDiag file again.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello FAndr4, Thank you for your response. In the meantime, I have found the following: https://www.meupositivo.com.br/para-voce/suporte-tecnico/drivers * Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there.* Try looking for drivers specific for your system using your system number, you can do the following: 1 - Download the graphics driver. 2 - Disconnect the computer from the internet.  3 - Go to device manager and check under display adapters. 4 - Right-click on the Intel ® Integrated Graphics, select the option uninstall and keep going until you only have Microsoft's basic display adapter. 5 - Unzip the file you downloaded previously. 6 - Right-click on the Microsoft's basic display adapter and select "Update driver". 7 - Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software. 8 - Select the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".  9 - Select the option "Have disk". 10 - Select the option "Browse". 11 - Access the designated location or folder where you unzipped the driver downloaded and access a folder called "Graphics".  12 - Select the setup information file (Typically named either "idglh64" or "igdlh"). 13 - Click on open and then click OK, finally click Next and the drivers will begin to install.  14 - Reboot your computer when the installation is completed. Let me know if the issue is addressed when using the latest one provided by the manufacturer. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
FAndr4
Beginner

Hi David.

I tested the latest drivers from the manufacturer, but no success.

As I said before, I even tested old drivers for the card but all of them had the same problem. The interesting part is that the issue happens only if we physically rotate the machine. Maybe the system is "unplugging" the display and "plugging" it back when the rotation occurs causing the graphics driver to reset the Scale option. Or it just ignores this setting, reverting it to default when processing the rotation. In either case, we have to manually reconfigure to "Scale Full Screen" to avoid the black bars.

David, how much time do you expect to have an answer for this issue? Could I make any other tests or send you any other helpful information? This problem is impacting the development of a new solution for my Company. We would buy more of this hardware if we are able to address this issue.

Thank you,

Fabiano.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello FAndr4, Thank you for your response. Has this problem always been present or did it start recently? This is important information we need in order to see what could have caused this issue. Also, it is recommended to contact the manufacturer of the system and report this issue as well, they normally take care of issues like the one you are currently experiencing. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
FAndr4
Beginner

Hi David.

This is a new machine we are testing to use with our applications. This is the first one of this kind (convertible laptop). If it works well, we were planning to buy a number of them.

We have lot of desktop machines, but none of them have a rotating sensor. I could try the manufacturer support, but I think they would have to talk to you.

Please, let me know if we can expect to have an fix to this problem.

Thank you,

Fabiano.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello FAndr4, Thank you for your response. You will need to report this issue directly with the system manufacturer so they can run scans and see if the issue is in fact related to drivers. If so, they will reach out to us so we can proceed accordingly. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
FAndr4
Beginner

Hello David.

I had no luck with the manufacturer until now. Apparently this is not an easy question for them.

In the meantime, could you tell me if is there any API function from the Intel package driver I could call programmatically to do exactly what the Intel Graphics Control Panel does?

If I'm able to read the state of the "Scale" parameter and reset it if it's necessary, the problem would be "solved". I know this is not a common question, but if I'm able to programmatically change this parameter it would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Fabiano.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello FAndr4, Thank you for your response. The information you seek may be available but in order to get assistance with how to change the parameters if possible, you will need to post the question in our Intel ® Developer's Zone. Refer to the link below: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RichSNJ
Beginner

Hi, were you ever able to find a solution for this?  It happens on my new HP 2-in-1 and it's incredibly annoying having to go and manually reset it every time I turn my notebook too  much to the side.

0 Kudos