Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Martha Is Dead DX12 RT and XeSS worked initially, but now it doesn't, crashes -message inside-.

laxesta
New Contributor II

MarthaIsDeadDX12RTError.jpg

I reinstalled the A770 16GB drivers (the latest ones) with a clean installation and also reinstalled the game, but to no avail. The DX11 version is okay, but the lack of XeSS and the performance, which is some kind of stutter fest, makes me prefer DX12 -as usual, whether a game runs fine or not, I prefer DX12 over DX11-.

Oddly enough, the game ran well before in DX 12 mode with XeSS enabled and so on. It had some graphics issues, like some kind of black magenta crush, which made the game almost unplayable in some areas, but the performance was better than in DX11 and XeSS does a good job in this game. Not at the almost perfection level of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but okay.

The "black magenta" crush when the game worked in DX12 mode. I took these pictures days ago.

laxesta_0-1670108851903.jpeg

laxesta_0-1670108958156.jpeg

laxesta_1-1670109033847.jpeg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
31 Replies
laxesta
New Contributor II

another issue with a different game, Warhammer Darktide 40000.

The game can be played on PC Gamepass. The game crashes once you try to launch it from the settings menu. This message appears...

WarhammerDarkTide.png

...., then it tries to launch and a crash message is shown on screen.

Another issue related to these crashes is that when a game crashes like this, it causes a chain of events where any other game won't launch even if it usually just works fine on the A770.

For instance, say Resident Evil 2 Remake which works like a charm on the A770. After Warhammer Darktide 40000 crashes maybe you can get a message when you launch RE2R afterwards saying "This game is not DX11 compatible". Same for games like Xenon Racer or Battlefield 1, etc etc, everything seems to stop working afterwards.

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

the Warhammer Darktide issue has been fixed by restarting the computer. The game runs well.

What I noticed though is that when a game crashes or something crashes in the drivers then every single game you try to launch afterwards seems to fail on cascade, displaying messages like the GPU is not DX11 compatible, that it's not DX10 compatible, or DX12 compatible, and so on and so forth.

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

this is also a common issue with quite a few games: a straight line cutting the image in half with a perfect diagonal. The game is Totally Reliable Delivery Service.

TotallyUnrealiableDeliveryService_LineCuttingScreenDiagonally.jpg

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ Arc communities.

To start with the troubleshooting please help us gather the following pieces of information that will help us determine possible causes for this issue:

• This behavior started after any specific recent changes in the device such as windows, drivers, or BIOS updates.

• Do you have a Resizable Bar Enabled in your system's BIOS?

Once you have gathered this information please, share it with us.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

Hello Robert!

• Martha is Dead worked okay with DX 12 the day they released the patch to support XeSS, November 16th. And I played like that for several days, although I just usually plays games 1 by 1 until completion, so I just did short test sessions.
  •  
  • I installed the most recent driver and the game behaves the same in DX12 mode, it works fine in DX 11 mode -frametime issues are bad, but it looks good and when there aren't frametime issues, it runs smoothly-.
  •  
  • After that I performed a clean installation of W11 to have a W11 on a NVMe 2TB for gaming, and then I installed W11 again but on a SSD 1TB drive, for general purposes, not just gaming and I perform a dual boot choosing which version of W11 to boot.
  •  
  • Maybe the issues started when I reinstalled W11, but tbh I had reinstalled W11 just a couple of days prior the patch for Martha is Dead was launched and nothing happened, plus I am in the Windows Insiders Build program -Dev Channel- and I had the most recent version of W11 installed in both cases.

• The diagonal line in some games -mostly Unity games?- it's an issue ever since I have the GPU, which I purchased day one.

I have Resizable BAR enabled as per Intel recommendation, that's why I decided to buy the A770.

ssu.txt file attached below.

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, a game that I purchased time ago in PC Gamepass, has a huge issue.

A typical pop up screen from PC Gamepass showing your nickname and a button saying Let's Go appears and you can see the game on the background, everything fine and dandy, but once you click on "Let's Go", the game's screen goes totally black and while the music is sounding and the game is running without other apparent issues, the monitor's display tells me that it doesn't find any signal coming from the Displayport port.

Alt + Tab to return to Windows works. When you return to the game via taskbar, same problem, black screen.

Ctrl + Alt + Delete also works very well (I have this set to "Always on Top"). It appears on top of the game and yes, you can see the game's picture running in the background as you should see if you could run the game as the active window.

Once you switch from the Task Manager to the game, bam, the screen goes black once again, you can't play the game even if it is just running perfectly fine save for this issue.

I am pretty sure that gamepass window is the culprit, pressing on Let's go doesn't do much and there are times where it re-appears a second time.

BRoTN_issue.jpgBRoTN_issue2.jpg

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

I fixed Bloodstained Ritual of the Night issue by copying d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll from DXVK 2.0 in the game's main directory where the game's executable is. Now when the pop-up window appears and I click on Let's go, everything is visible as it should be and can play normally

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

the initial erratic performance of Age of Empire II Definitive Edition has been definitively fixed, but the text issue in the menus still continues.

Age of Empires II_ Definitive Edition text glitch.jpg

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

Thank you for posting all the updates regarding the issues these titles,

We are going to check the issues Internally, and will get back with you as soon as we have more information.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

We are still working on the case, to continue we would like to gather the following information:

• Martha is Dead was acquired from steam, the game's Totally Reliable Delivery Service. and Age of Empire II Definitive Edition are also downloaded from steam or was another distribution service used, if this is the case what was this platform?

• The older Windows 11 version used when the game Martha is Dead presented no issues was it a production build or it was also part of the Windows Insiders program?

• Share screen captures of the Graphical settings used in the game Martha is Dead and Totally Reliable Delivery Service

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

Hello Robert.

• Martha is Dead was acquired from steam, the game's Totally Reliable Delivery Service. and Age of Empire II Definitive Edition are also downloaded from steam or was another distribution service used, if this is the case what was this platform?

Totally Reliable Delivery Service and Age of Empires II Definitive Edition are both from PC Gamepass. The line splitting the screen in two seems like a common issue. I experienced it in my first days with the GPU, in Age of Empires 1 Definitive Edition -in the menus, it has been fixed ever since-, also in Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition, in the menus it seemed to disappear ingame -haven't checked ever since-. That diagonal line also appeared in Grim Dawn (x64, DX11), (DX9 version didn't show that issue iirc) in the menus too.

• The older Windows 11 version used when the game Martha is Dead presented no issues was it a production build or it was also part of the Windows Insiders program?

Yes, it was also part of the Windows Insiders Program.

• Share screen captures of the Graphical settings used in the game Martha is Dead and Totally Reliable Delivery Service.

For Martha is Dead, the settings were the same in the DX 12 version, with XeSS Quality enabled instead of FSR 2.

20221214105755_1.jpg

 Totally Reliable Delivery Service screengrab.

Totally Reliable Delivery Service 14_12_2022 11_16_36.png

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

Thank you very much for your response we really appreciate it.

We will take all the details that were posted and take them as part of the internal review we are making on the case.

In case you want to share more details please feel free to do so.

We will get back to you as soon as we have more information.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

thanks to you for replying.

Regarding other issues, there is a problem in Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition, related again to the UI and the main menu fonts, similar to the one in Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition, although it happens when you choose a resolution this time, the fonts look like strange ASCII symbols.

The selected resolution is allegedly 2560x1440 -the native resolution of my monitor-. It actually is, but you can't really know judging by what you get on the screen.

20221216012509_1.jpg

Oddly enough, this just happens after a certain amount of resolutions, which are correctly displayed, are shown. (this occurs on both my 1440p monitor and my 4K TV). Any resolution before the ones that are correctly displayed looks okay, but any resolution after a certain point looks corrupted.

20221216121824_1.jpg

On a different note, The Riftbreaker also has issues with the shadows when RT Ultra is on, they flicker like crazy.

Additionally, after how glitchy it was I disabled RT in the game and the game ran without glitches on my TV.

Then I switched from my TV to my 1440p monitor and everything worked well without RT, as expected.

However, I tried to turn RT on again while ingame to check if that happened at 1440p too, and I got this error. Now I can't enable RT anymore.

Screenshot_20221216_121357.png

Whatever I do, enabling RT always gives the same result (this error) now. Maybe reinstalling the game or the GPU drivers might do the trick, but still....

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

there is a graphics glitch in The Witcher 3 Next Gen edition when RT is enabled, the spiderwebs in most places become magenta. If you disable RT, they look white, as expected.

The Witcher 3 17_12_2022 16_43_36.jpg

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

kinda fixed the issue in The Witcher 3 Next Gen. It's related to the Gamma settings. I set the gamma with the ingame calibrator so the image could barely be seen, as indicated. This fixed the spiderwebs issue, as you can see to the right, behind Geralt.

The Witcher 3 17_12_2022 20_06_05.jpg

BUT, depending on the angle or lighting -whatever the reason is-, the issue returns at times. This screengrab was taken during the same scene with the same level of gamma as the one above, yet the spiderweb colour looks wrong.

The Witcher 3 17_12_2022 20_01_00.jpg

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

had the same issue as Bloodstained Ritual of the Night in CoD Modern Warfare 2. I set the window to Fullscreen Exclusive and decided to test how the A770 handled the game at native 1440p -the resolution of my monitor- vs XeSS.

To achieve that I set the game to FullScreen Exclusive, 100% resolution scaling. I clicked on Apply Settings and.... my monitor couldn't find a Displayport signal, the screen went black. I pressed Alt + Tab and then the desktop showed. I returned to the game and again, totally black screen, no Displayport signal.

Finally, I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Del and since I always have the Task Manager set to "Always on top", the game's screen could be seen behind the Task Manager window, same as with Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. With that, I could see the mouse and set the game to Fullscreen Borderless and Apply Settings, which saved the day.

When the screen was pitch black and I moved the mouse, there was sound telling you were navigating through the game's settings. But there was no image to see what you were doing. Only Ctrl + Alt + Del helped.

Also, this was a message the game showed.

20221220001306_1.jpg

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

Thank you for the waiting time, and for all the information shared.

We are still working on this issue.

Can you attempt to replicate this issue using a non-insider version of Windows?

Please let us know the outcome of this test, and also if you would like to share more information please let us know.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

Sry, hadn't read this post before. I have 2 disks with 2 different versions of Windows 11 in my computer where I use the Intel A770.

A 2TB NVMe with W11 installed, just for gaming -I optimised and debloated the OS, also it's a insider preview-.

And a 1TB SSD with Windows 11 too, which is totally independent from the other W11 partition, for general use. This disk has a "regular" W11 OS, which I didn't debloat, and I am also not in the insider preview.

I installed Martha is Dead in the 1TB SSD disk, and it works in DX12 mode! It might be that the DirectX installation that launches when you install the game got corrupted in the insider preview or whatever, but the game launches normally. I wonder if Halo Infinite will work in this disk too..., 'cos it doesn't run on the other disk with the gaming W11 partition.

Happy holidays everyone.

edit: Halo Infinite also runs well now after installing it on my "regular" W11 partition, contrary to my other W11 gaming partition where it doesn't run and doesn't get to the main menu.

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

not very important. A twenty something seconds video showing little graphics oddities in Doom Eternal. An area at the center of the screen just shows some kind of vertical transparent line which expands horizontally in a random way.

DOOM Eternal little oddities with graphics using Intel A770 LE 16GB - YouTube

The game runs like a charm in general.

0 Kudos