Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Max brightness low on Intel HD Graphics 530 - screen definitely capable of more.

DRys
Beginner

From the beginning of having my laptop I thought the screen was dark. It's a Gigabyte P35 V6 with an i7-6700HQ processor and Intel HD Graphics 530.

Yesterday briefly the screen went black for a second, I heard the sound as if a device was unplugged from the laptop, and when it came back it was much brighter. As soon as I changed the brightness however, it went back to its original state - quite dim even at full brightness. I then updated the drivers, and right after the update the screen was much brighter at every setting. This time even changing it didn't make it go back to that dim state, I could adjust it down and then back up to the very bright setting. After a restart it's dim again however.

What's the issue here? I hope I explained it well enough, it's a bizarre issue and I'm thinking it's something to do with the registry as I played around with every setting in the 'Intel Graphics' options and it's not getting me anywhere.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DRys
Beginner

Bump

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello DRys Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. • Are the Windows power plan settings (on battery and plugged in) configure in the same values? Go to control panel> hardware and sound> power options> edit plan settings. • Is the screen DIM changing only after the restart or does it changes while the system is in use? • Have you tried setting off the option to enable adaptive brightness? Go to control panel> hardware and sound> power options> edit plan settings, select change advance power settings and go to display> enable adaptive brightness to set both on battery and plugged in to off. • In order to help you better, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DRys
Beginner
  • The power plan settings are on the same values - essentially set to maximum performance.
  • The screen is just dim normally - only through doing something drastic, such as updating the driver or somehow disabling the on-board graphics, it would get properly bright temporarily. I didn't even know it could get brighter, I just thought I got a dim screen in my monitor for some reason as all reviews praise it.
  • Adaptive brightness is disabled in windows and in the Intel graphics settings.
  • I've attached the SSU report below.
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello DRys Thank you for the information. Try the following: 1. Complete the available updates in Windows 10 first then, restart the computer 2. Double check with the system manufacturer if the latest BIOS and chipset driver are installed (in case you need assistance to complete the updates please contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Motherboard). 3. Change the power plan setting of your laptop to High Performance. 4. Advance power settings on battery: 5. Display Brightness 100% 6. Dimmed Display Brightness 0% 7. Enable Adaptive Brightness Off Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello DRys I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello DRys I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos