Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Memory leak caused by NV_DX_interop

Ivan_K_1
Beginner

Hello, I am a developer in AxxonSoft (http://www.axxonsoft.com/)

We use Intel Quick Sync for video decompression and then NV_DX_interop extension to share Direct3D textures with our OpenGL renderer. It seems that NV_DX_interop gives a memory leak on Intel NUC platforms. Memory leaks after creating Direct3D render target, calling wglDXRegisterObjectNV/wglDXUnregisterObjectNV on it and releasing this render target. It happens both in 64 bit and 32 bit applications.

System Setup Information:
-----------------------------------------

System Used: Intel® NUC NUC6I5SYK
CPU SKU: Intel Core i5-6260U
GPU SKU: Intel Iris 540
Processor Line: N/A
System BIOS Version: N/A
CMOS settings: N/A
Graphics Driver Version: 21.20.16.4590
GOP/VBIOS Version: N/A
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional x64
API: OpenGL extension NV_DX_interop
Occurs on non-Intel GPUs?: No, tested on NVIDIA

Steps to Reproduce:
-------------------------------
1. Launch the test program: DXInteropLeak.exe
2. Open the task manager and look for the DXInteropLeak.exe process, note its memory consumption

Expected Results:

Process memory is more or less stable all the time.

Actual Results:

Process memory is constantly increasing, it takes several seconds to leak 1GB.

Additional Information:

Power plan set to High Performance. Please note that the problem cannot be reproduced on Intel i5-3570K CPU (HD Graphics 4000, driver 10.18.10.4425). Also problem disappears after commenting lines with wglDXRegisterObjectNV/wglDXUnregisterObjectNV out. Also problem doesn't occur on NVidia GPUs. Looks similar to this bug https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/707697, but leak caused by other NV_DX_interop functions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Ivan,

We have found the root cause and are fixing the issue. Your test case was very helpful in finding the cause. The fix should be included in the next graphics drivers release.

-Michael 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the bin and src files it will help with replication. The issue reported and we investigate the problem. 

-Michael 

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Ivan,

We have found the root cause and are fixing the issue. Your test case was very helpful in finding the cause. The fix should be included in the next graphics drivers release.

-Michael 

0 Kudos
Ivan_K_1
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Glad to hear it. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Markus_B_1
Beginner

Hello,

the memory leak is fixed in the 6 and 7 generation processors with the new driver.

Will this also be fixed in the 3, 4 and 5 generation?

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

H Markus,

Since we the fix if a new driver is released supporting 3rd, 4th, or 5th generation the fix will be included. 

0 Kudos