Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Memory leak while trying to install Intel Graphics BETA Windows 10 DCH Drivers - 30.0.100.9667

fernandogomez
New Contributor I

Hello.

As you can see on the image, the installer is using 11 GB of RAM, and it's not responding. I can't click on the "Begin Installation" button nor even close the installer. The only way to close it is by killing the process in the Task Manager.

Installer memory leakInstaller memory leak

I've tried to install it in Safe Mode, but also the normal way.

I've test it using 2 different computers with the same result:

* Lenovo Yoga C940 with Intel Iris Plus Graphics running Windows 10 21H2 21390.1000

* Lenovo Legion Y520 with Intel HD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1050 running Windows 10 21H1 19043.1052.

Regards.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Gabriela_Intel

The driver package for 30.0.100.9684 has been replaced with an updated installer so the issue should be resolved now. To receive the fix, simply download and re-install 100.9684 from the Download Center.

View solution in original post

39 Replies
Geeooff
New Contributor I

Exact same problem with a DELL XPS 15 7590 (UHD 630 + GTX 1650).

It happened on Windows 11 Pro, with previous beta 30.x driver and non-beta 30.x driver.

kiske
Beginner

How much ram is needed to install these drivers?

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello fernandogomez, I just received an update on this matter.

I just wanted to let you know that the new Intel® Graphics driver version was released today, it is now available for download in our Intel® Download Center, version 30.0.100.9684, please try a clean installation, test it and once you get the chance let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30579/Intel-Graphics-Windows-DCH-Drivers

Geeooff, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Please try a clean installation of Intel® driver version 30.0.100.9684 as well, following the instructions in the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Geeooff
New Contributor I

@Alberto_R_Intel wrote:

Please try a clean installation of Intel® driver version 30.0.100.9684 as well, following the instructions in the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

I'll do.

Please also note this, could be useful to communicate this to Microsoft as well:
Screenshot 2021-07-15 171008.jpgScreenshot 2021-07-15 171035.jpg

I know how to bypass this, but not all people will do.

0 Kudos
fernandogomez
New Contributor I
Hello Albert.

I didn't do the clean installation method. Instead, as @McChen pointed, I only needed to reinstall Windows Media Player to install the new driver correctly, because this new version also has the memory leak problem. So I think there's is something with the memory leak problem related to not having Windows Media Player installed.

For the record, I test it in my Lenovo Yoga C940 with Windows 11. I will try it in my Lenovo Legion Y520 with Windows 10 that also had the memory leak problem with the beta driver. Curiously this computer also doesn't have Windows Media Player installed currently. So I'm going to try the installation before and after install WMP and I'll let you know the result.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Geeooff
New Contributor I

Well, that was promising.

1. Airplane mode ON
  2. Uninstalled all Intel Graphics driver as instructed
  3. Rebooted
  4. Updated the Basic Video Adapter with ZIP drivers content
  5. Added remaining drivers from the folders (a new feature from Windows 11) to be sure nothing will be missed at reboot
  6. Rebooted
  7. Driver confirmed as 30.x, dxdiag is reporting WDDM 3.0
  8. Airplane mode OFF
  9. Wait a bit for some Windows Update stuff to automatically install
  10. Driver reverted back automatically to 27.20.x, dxdiag is reporting WDDM 2.7
  11. Lost hope
0 Kudos
Mat84
Novice

Hey! I just reported the exact same issue with a totally different machine:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Intel-DCH-Graphics-Driver-new-INSTALLER-since-9466-and-9684/td-p/1299026

0 Kudos
Mat84
Novice
0 Kudos
McChen
Novice

I had this issue as well, but I found the solution (at least on my machines). This happens if Windows Media Player is not installed. After I installed WMP, I was able to click "begin installation" and no more massive memory leak.

Note, to install WMP, I had to enable it in two places, the "optional features" section and also in the legacy "turn windows features on and off" sections. See screenshots.

kiske
Beginner

I can confirm that WMP is not installed on my system, but this is intel's fault, I do not understand why I have to have WMP on my system.

I managed to install the driver by downloading the older version of the driver in zip version and the newer version in zip version and I have copied the graphics folder from version 30 to version 27 and it works perfectly.

0 Kudos
Mat84
Novice

It probably has to do with that silly cloudy animation of the installer. Classic Aesthetic over Function

0 Kudos
Mat84
Novice

Can confirm that enabling Media Features->Windows media Player in legacy "Turn Windows Features On and Off" in Classic Control Panel stops the issue. This should be fixed ASAP.

0 Kudos
Gabriela_Intel

Hey everyone! Thank you all for your investigative work so far. We're looking into this now, I'll report back here when I have an update. 

0 Kudos
Faeronis
New Contributor I

Successfully installed driver from command line:

1) download .zip with driver and unpack it in C:\1 so Installer.exe must be located in C:\1

2) run this command line from Windows Terminal/PowerShell:

cd c:\1

./installer -b -o -s -f

If you want to run it from old command line cmd.exe type this line by line:

c:

cd \1

installer -b -o -s -f

3) computer will reboot after some time

0 Kudos
Hossain_Aryan65
New Contributor I
Hello and thanks for reaching out to me!! Should I try this as you mentioned or wait for intel to fix it as @leon Waksman emailed me earlier that intel is looking into this problem?
0 Kudos
Faeronis
New Contributor I

This command line installation method provided by Intel itself so if they allow us to do that - I think that it's completely legal to try it. Of course there may be some troubles during installation but troubles may occur in every moment. Most important - wait until Windows reboot which may occur in half an hour if your computer not so fast.

If something goes wrong during command line installation - write to Intel support.

0 Kudos
Hossain_Aryan65
New Contributor I
Okay then. I will do it. But is the procedure same for driver version 9684? And can you please explain me what is the C:\1 path? Is it in C drive? What is this 1 then?
0 Kudos
Faeronis
New Contributor I

If you want to be more confident in what you're doing, expand igfx_win_100.9684.zip in folder of your choice, for example C:\Driver

Yes, C: means drive C, then backslash \ means root folder, than 1 means folder 1 in the root of the drive. I'm using numbers for temporary folders, like 1, 2, 3... I've mentioned it in my little manual, folder 1 where you should expand igfx_win_100.9684.zip

There also two options of command line for Windows - old cmd.exe and modern PowerShell/Terminal. Commands are different in them.

I prefer to use PowerShell but some people want to use old command processor.

So "cd C:\1" means changing working folder to drive C, folder \1 where you've extracted Intel driver package.

Then we should run installation routine from command line and all this described in installation_readme.txt file in igfx_win_100.9684.zip

Just read the file and you'll got the whole idea.

0 Kudos
Gabriela_Intel

The driver package for 30.0.100.9684 has been replaced with an updated installer so the issue should be resolved now. To receive the fix, simply download and re-install 100.9684 from the Download Center.