Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter Issue -- Can connect Dell Inspiron 7373 but not Dell XPS 8900 -- Generates Critical events

nellienobody
Beginner

I am in the process of "shaving the cord" and have installed a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter on my TV for streaming content from my computers.

I have two computers.

One, a Dell Inspiron 7373 running Win 10, with a built-in Intel UHD Graphics 620 display adapter and an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 network adapter.

One, a Dell XPS 8900 running Win 10, with a built-in Intel HD Graphics 530 display adapter, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 display adapter, and Dell Wireless 1801 802.11bgn network adapter.

The Inspiron connects to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter effortlessly, with no video or audio issues.

Using the Intel HD Graphics 530 display adapter, the XPS can "see" the adapter, but when I click on it to connect to it, both the adapter and the TV look like they are trying to connect, but then suddenly disconnect. The 8900's desktop never appears on the TV. Using the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 display adapter, the XPS connects to the adapter just fine.

In Event Viewer, I am seeing the following critical errors after attempting to use the Intel HD Graphics 530 display adapter:

Critical 11/27/2018 12:14:14 PM Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode 10111 User-mode Driver problems.

The device MSDisplayAdapter_93 (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

Critical 11/27/2018 12:14:14 PM Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode 10110 User-mode Driver problems.

A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.

In Norton Security Online, I am seeing:

"Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter \"Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter # 7

Followed by:

IP address has disappeared from adapter Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter # 7

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I do not see how this is an Intel issue. Sounds like you need to be working this out with Dell and Microsoft.

Doc

0 Kudos
nellienobody
Beginner

Everywhere I've looked for answers they've been all about updating graphics and network adapter drivers. It's an Intel issue if the Intel components are supposed to support Miracast but somehow they don't.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Miracast/wireless display is a Microsoft issue, and the wireless card you are using is Dell's.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
nellienobody
Beginner

Re-read my comment. If I can connect when using the NVIDIA graphics adapter, but not when using the Intel graphics adapter, the issue is not the wireless adapter.

0 Kudos
nellienobody
Beginner

I already verified all the drivers.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

So, you believe that the issue is with HD530 graphics, and not how Microsoft is interfacing with HD530 graphics, or the dell card, or the norton a/v?

Perhaps someone will be able to solve this mystery.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One question. In your dell 8900, do you have both the HD530 and the nvidia active at the same time? If so, remove the nvidia and try the HD530 by itself.

Doc

0 Kudos
nellienobody
Beginner

Again, re-read my comment. I indicated that I switched between adapters, i.e., disabled/disconnected one then the other. I also tried enabling/connecting both, but the combination seems to default to the Intel.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Read my question - not disabled/disconnected, but REMOVED the nvidia.

Doc

0 Kudos
nellienobody
Beginner

Riggghhhttt... Like pulling the card would make any difference...

Give it up. You got nothin'.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There could be an error in the dell bios, where the coexistence of both cards causes a problem.

It is a simple, easy test. Physically remove the nvidia card, and just use the Intel graphics, and do your wireless test.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree with Al, disabling is NOT a fool-proof method; removal is the only way to be sure.

...S

0 Kudos
nellienobody
Beginner

Funny thing, for reasons as mysterious as the original issue, I was suddenly able to connect the XPS 8900 to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. I have no idea who, what, when, where, why, or how. I can only presume that some driver update and/or some setting change enabled it.

0 Kudos