Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Mini DP Monitors never sleep. Monitors report No Input... Displays never fully asleep

spot8ball
New Contributor I

I have an ASUS N550JK laptop computer. HD Graphics via Intel HD 4600 and NVIDIA 850M. Using only the Mini Display Port on the computer my system is able to have three separate displays on HP 27er monitors. The key to this functionality is a MST device from an online supplier of this equipment. The MST device has a single Mini Display Port input and three HDMI outputs. I understand this is the system limit and I must disable the laptop's display to have this functionality.

I need my computer to remain awake at night for after-market trading surprises and alarms, but the monitors do not need to stay awake all night. 

With one exception, all is working well. I have not been able to figure a way for the three external monitors to be put to sleep automatically using my Window's 10 functionality. If I let the computer try to automatically put only the monitors to sleep, they will individually flash on and off every 10 seconds, saying there is no input signal. If I let the system put the computer and the displays to sleep, it also interrupts the ethernet and drops the internet connection (even when Power Management of the REaltek PCle GbE controller is set to not allow the computer to turn off this device to save power). After spending hours troubleshooting, messing with settings, and chatting with representatives from the MST manufacturer, Intel, and ASUS, my compromise workaround is to simply turn the monitors off using the buttons on the bezels. It is amazing how effective are these three little button presses.

I would like to be able to just walk away and have all three monitors go to sleep after the timed period I set in my power and sleep settings for turning off the screen while leaving the PC so it never sleeps.

Thanks to anyone who has experienced these issues and can share some thoughts.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
spot8ball
New Contributor I
Hi Albert,

Unfortunately, the HDMI to VGA cable created a new problem.  The monitor display just flashed on and off.  That was a problem that I chose not to chase at the time.

I purchased a j5create device which allows a USB 3.0 to pass through their onboard graphics chip and provide two HDMI ports for connecting two of the HP 27er monitors.  Unfortunately, the HP 27er monitors still would not go to sleep.  Just like with the Startech MST device, the monitors just present the on screen display message that they are going to sleep, only to turn the backlight on again in around five seconds.  There must be some functional difference between the HP 27er and HP 27f monitors with respect to sleeping.  The HP 27er will not go to sleep, but the HP 27f will.  The HP 27er does go to sleep successfully when attached directly to the computer's HDMI port and when connected via an miniDP to HDMI adapter.  The HP 27f monitors go to sleep in any configuration, the only caveat is that the monitor's auto-detect must be disabled. 

I suspect the drivers for the HP 27er are not perfect.  I don't know who will step up to work out this kink.  I don't know if there is a way to try installing the HP 27f drivers into the HP 27er configuration??

I have reconfigured my system so that I can avoid the problem....this has come at great expense and hours of investigation and testing.  There are always problems like this when trying to apply new technology and stretch legacy appliances beyond their design constraints.

Thank you for your help along the way.  If you ever learn of a possible driver fix, please let me know about it.

Personally, I don't need a solution from ASUS, Intel, nor HP.  I have found a work-around (replace the HP 27er monitors).  Yes, we can close this one without a technical solution or fix.

Many regards and thank you very much for your time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

spot8ball, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

What is the model of the MST device?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Please provide the Intel® Graphics report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

And also please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

Hello Albert,

Is this a new computer? I purchased this computer in 2014...ASUSN550JK

Was it working fine before? Computer always behaved as described in my original post.

When did the issue start?  Started immediately upon installation of MST device to take Mini DP signal and provide HDMI connection to three HP 27er monitors.

What is the model of the MST device? Startech.com MST: 

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Multi-Monitor Splitter - 3-Port MST Hub
Use this adapter to connect three independent displays to a single mDP 1.2 port

Product ID: MSTMDP123HD

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?  No

Which Windows* version are you using?  Version 20HD (See Attachment)

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

Honestly, I don't know is this miniDP is version 1.2 or not.  I tried to figure it out from the device manager, but I could not.  I was going to try to update drivers to possible be sure it was version 1.2.  This version info must be buried such that it is very hard to find.  With help, I can try again.  The MST manufacturer does not clarify how the MST device would work if the miniDP is something other than version 1.2.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello spot8ball, Thank you very much for providing those reports.

Could you please provide the SSU report as well so we can verify further details about the components in your platform?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I
Hello,

Yesterday I uploaded dx_info_15576.txt.

is this the ssu report you requested?  Just in case, I will follow the link you provided and more carefully follow through.......thanks!
0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

I have run the report again just now and posting it here....thanks.

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

My platform is basically stock and represented in the attached specifications from ASUS.  I have the external Startech MST which allows me to use the miniDP port to drive three HP 27er Monitors.  Later tonight I will do some additional testing....I have purchased two newer HP 27f monitors.  I plan to connect to them to know if they will go to sleep and stay asleep after a timed period.

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

Wow, I did not expect to see these results with the two new HP 27f monitors.  I connect the monitors directly to the  computer and there is no problem.  They seem to behave properly.  If I connect the new monitors using the Startech MST device, the computer appears to recognize they are present (Display Settings), but they don't wake up.  So now I have three monitors that never sleep and I have two new monitors that never wake up.

The Startech support assistant thinks it is a problem with drivers.  He said that Intel has done rigorous testing of their GPUs connected to Startech MST devices, but some may fall through the cracks.  I have spent hours troubleshooting and dollars purchasing new equipment, just wanting it to work.

I will appreciate any insights or suggestions.  My next move may be to purchase another brand of MST and see what kind of new and strange problems it will bring into my life.....not all hope is lost.

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

I have continued to test and I have discovered that if I turn off the HP27f auto-select feature and designate a specific port on the monitor, these monitors to in fact wake up.  Furthermore, they will also go to sleep properly.  They seem to work perfectly.  Still the HP27er monitors will not sleep while connected to the Startech MST device via the miniDP port.  I am waiting for delivery of a cable that will convert HDMI to VGA.  When it arrives, I plan to test the input from the MST, through the adapter, to the VGA port on the HP 27er.  I post my findings later.

I know this seems to indicate there are some differences between the HP 27er monitor and the HP 27f monitor, but there is still the problem of the HP 27er never going to sleep.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

spot8ball, Thank you very much for providing that information and the reports.

In reference to this scenario, that the computer is working Intel® HD Graphics 4600 controller, just to let you know, that Intel® Graphics controller is not that new, it is kind of old, so a new development and fixes for this controller might not be available because of that same reason.

We always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked in ASUS's web site and I did not find a graphics driver tested and validated by them, as you can see here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/N550JK/HelpDesk_Download/

So what we recommend to do next will be to get in contact directly with ASUS and ask for a Graphics driver tested and validated by them for Windows* 10 to do a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

https://www.asus.com/support/

Once you do that, please test just one monitor at the time connected directly to the laptop without the MST hub and check if it works properly. If the problem persists when doing that, then please provide a detailed description of the steps that you followed to encounter this issue so we can try to replicate it in our Intel® lab.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

Thank you Albert.  I agree that ASUS has not published specific new drivers on their web pages, as that is exactly where I started in my pursuit of a solution for my problem.  Yesterday, following instructions from another line of support from Intel, Case Number: 04961365, Product: Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Issue Description: Laptop External Monitors Sleep issue, I clean installed the latest Windows 10 drivers.  This did not improve the relationship between the miniDP port and the Startech MST device, as they still will not allow the three HP 27er monitors to sleep.  I have not yet tested the HP 27f monitors. 

When I test the HP 27f monitors, which will not wake up, I will post the results.

I have ordered two adapters that may allow me to retire the Startech MST device and still have the ability to drive three external monitors.  I will use the miniDP port with a miniDP to HDMI adapter to drive one monitor.  I will use one of the USB 3.0 ports with a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter to drive the second monitor.  Finally, I will use the HDMI port, directly, to drive the third monitor.  This will not be an elegant solution, but hopefully the drivers will be there to allow everything to work properly.

I spoke again with the service assistants at Startech last night.  They assured me that there has been much testing of their MSTs with Intel graphics and they do not have any other evidence of my problem.  I hope that anyone else with my computer and three-monitor configuration will be forewarned about a solution that incorporates this particular device....at least until there is a specific fix.

More to follow....

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

After clean installing the latest drivers from Intel and after a very brief test of one of my new HP 27f monitors, it would not wake up.

Still I have three monitors that will not sleep and two monitors that won't wake up using the Startech MST and the Intel MiniDP port and HD4600 GPU (with the latest published drivers).

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

spot8ball, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

The Intel® Graphics drivers are generic, meaning that they might or might not work with your platform. In this case, ASUS should provide a Graphics driver for Windows* 10, a driver that was tested and validated by them; that should be the driver that you need to install, if there is no driver available from ASUS, it means that this computer is not fully compatible with Windows* 10 and a problem like the one you are describing in that situation will be expected.

Just to make sure, those results that you are referring to, those were the outcome of testing just one monitor without the MST hub?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

I do not have any noticeable problems when connecting either the HP 27er or the HP 27f monitor directly to my ASUS Notebook, directly via the HDMI port.  My problems appear whenever I attempt to connect either monitor using the Startech MST that is connected to the miniDP port.  One monitor never sleeps while the other monitor never wakes up.

I am wondering if my problems are related to an electronic condition, rather than a digital or programming condition. There may be an electrical charge that does not drain....something like this could provide a false data signal, making the monitors react accordingly. During my engineering career I had some bouts with input impedance that caused similar issues to what I am now experiencing with these Hewlett Packard monitors.

Since this is probably not an Intel concern, I will also be posting this question to MST manufacturer Startech.

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

I have tested HP27er and HP27f monitors without the Startech MST.  I obtained an HDMI to miniDP adapter an tested connections between notebook and each monitor.  My surprising results:  Each monitor behaves exactly is they did when connected via the MST.  The HP27er never goes to sleep.  The HP27f is recognized only so far that the Windows new device connection tone sounds.  The HP27f never wakes up.

This makes me wonder more about the nature and configuration of the miniDP port on the N550JK notebook computer.  I have read about differences among versions of Display Port and whether or not the port is "dual mode."  I have also read about the need for an "active" adapter to convert from miniDP to HDMI.  The ASUS specifications only state that there is a mini display port and it does not offer additional details. 

I have searched the Device Monitor for specific properties for the miniDP and I can't find anything.  I am assuming that this port's specifics are covered within the settings and drivers for the Intel HD8600 gpu chip settings.  I have installed the latest Intel drivers, although these appear to supercede the ASUS drivers and there is no difference after updating these drivers.

I think we can remove the Startech MST from our further analysis.  I am thinking it may be something electronic, as I mentioned earlier, or it may have something to do with my specific miniDP port.

ASUS customer service appears to be shut down because of the pandemic and are only offering their online FAQs.  These FAQs do not address specific issues with a certain computer model's deeper specifications regarding miniDP ports.....unless i missed something.  Any help with this hardware description and specifications will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

spot8ball, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Based on the information you shared with us, at this point, just to let you know, we are considering that this problem could be related to compatibility between that specific MST adapter and the monitors, not with the Intel® Graphics driver or Graphics controller.

So yes, go ahead and test the new cable that will convert HDMI to VGA and once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello spot8ball, I just wanted to check if you were able to test the new cable and if you need further assistance on this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I
Hi Albert,

Unfortunately, the HDMI to VGA cable created a new problem.  The monitor display just flashed on and off.  That was a problem that I chose not to chase at the time.

I purchased a j5create device which allows a USB 3.0 to pass through their onboard graphics chip and provide two HDMI ports for connecting two of the HP 27er monitors.  Unfortunately, the HP 27er monitors still would not go to sleep.  Just like with the Startech MST device, the monitors just present the on screen display message that they are going to sleep, only to turn the backlight on again in around five seconds.  There must be some functional difference between the HP 27er and HP 27f monitors with respect to sleeping.  The HP 27er will not go to sleep, but the HP 27f will.  The HP 27er does go to sleep successfully when attached directly to the computer's HDMI port and when connected via an miniDP to HDMI adapter.  The HP 27f monitors go to sleep in any configuration, the only caveat is that the monitor's auto-detect must be disabled. 

I suspect the drivers for the HP 27er are not perfect.  I don't know who will step up to work out this kink.  I don't know if there is a way to try installing the HP 27f drivers into the HP 27er configuration??

I have reconfigured my system so that I can avoid the problem....this has come at great expense and hours of investigation and testing.  There are always problems like this when trying to apply new technology and stretch legacy appliances beyond their design constraints.

Thank you for your help along the way.  If you ever learn of a possible driver fix, please let me know about it.

Personally, I don't need a solution from ASUS, Intel, nor HP.  I have found a work-around (replace the HP 27er monitors).  Yes, we can close this one without a technical solution or fix.

Many regards and thank you very much for your time.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi spot8ball, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those results.

We are sorry to hear the problem persisted after using the new HDMI to VGA cable. 

In regards to "I don't know if there is a way to try installing the HP 27f drivers into the HP 27er configuration??", That is something that you will need to check directly with HP, they will be able to confirm those details and also provide additional information, like for example if there is a firmware update available for the monitors:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

"If you ever learn of a possible driver fix, please let me know about it.", of course we will let you know, we also advise you to keep checking our Intel® web site for possible future Graphics drivers releases, even though the Intel® HD Graphics 4600 controller is not that new and most likely there will be no new development or fixes for it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600

We are glad to hear that you were able to find a work-around for this situation, even though it means that to replace the monitors will be needed, it is great to know it is working for you and for this scenario.

Once again you are very welcome, and for any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos