Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Monitor will not stay in standby.

TMell2
Novice

I have an ASUS Prime Z370A motherboard with an Intel 8400 processor (Intel UHD Graphics 630, driver 24.20.100.6194) and an LG 34UC97 monitor on a data port.

When the monitor goes to standby (after 20 minutes in my case) a message comes on saying "no video monitor will shut down shortly". The message then disappears and the monitor shuts down but quickly reawakens in 5 seconds & displays the same message again.

This will repeat until the computer actually goes to sleep (after 1 hour). This began after driver win64_15.65.5.4982. If I reinstall this driver it works fine.

27 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello tmellor,

I understand that you are currently experiencing issues when the monitor goes to stand by and the computer is not asleep.

Regarding this, I would like to gather some information about your system. Please provide me with an Intel ® System Support Utility report, you can get this report by using our tool which you can download by accessing the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Please attach the report to this thread. Something else I would like to request is a graphics report. You can generate this report by following the steps in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Also, I would like to know if you have tried different connections or different monitors? For example: HDMI or USB-C. What do you mean exactly with data port? Are you referring to the VGA port or perhaps display port?

The steps above are just to test and see if any other interface or monitor is affected or if it is just isolated to that configuration.

Let me know please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TMell2
Novice

Hi David,

Yes, I meant to say Display Port not Data port.

If I switch the monitor to HDMI it works as it should. I do no have another monitor with Display Port to test.

Attached are the reports you requested.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tmellor,

Thank you for your response.

I can see that HDMI is working without any problems.

We can try two things, first, we can try to update the BIOS of the motherboard to the latest version. I was checking the manufacturer's website and I found out that there are several versions newer than your current BIOS version. You can refer to the link below for more details and it is also recommended to contact the manufacturer of the motherboard to proceed with the BIOS update with their support:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/ https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there.*

Second, we can try to re-install the graphics driver from scratch, a clean install in other words. In order to do this, I need you to disconnect your computer from the internet and follow the steps below:

1 - Download the ".zip" file located in the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27892/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126790 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27892/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126790

1 - Go to device manager by right-clicking on the windows logo at the bottom left and selecting "Device manager".

2 - Search for display adapters, expand it and find the Intel ® display adapter.

3 - Right-click on the Intel ® display adapter and click on uninstall, repeat the process until the display adapter is "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

4 - Reboot the system while still disconnected from the internet.

Once this is done, follow the steps below for a manual driver update:

1 - Unzip the file previously downloaded to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Microsoft basic display adapter entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TMell2
Novice

Hi Dave,

I did as you suggested, updated the Bios to the latest version & uninstalled and then updated the driver as you requested.

Unfortunately the problem still exists.

When I built this computer, last year, the Display port connection would keep flickering and distorting. This was fixed in a later version of the driver.

Subsequent updates, after win64_15.65.5.4982, seem to have caused this new problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tmellor,

Is it possible for you to provide me with a video of the issue happening and also a video of the issue solved when using the driver mentioned? This is important information we may need in order to pinpoint the cause.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TMell2
Novice

I seem to be having a problem attaching the videos to this reply. Each one is about 26MB in length & it says max allowed is 29 so it should be OK but nothing happens.

0 Kudos
TMell2
Novice

Trying again with first one.

0 Kudos
TMell2
Novice

OK that seemed to work today. Here is the next one.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tmellor,

I want to try and replicate this issue, however, in order to do so I will need you to provide me with the information requested in the thread below:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Once this information is provided, I will begin with the testings myself.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TMell2
Novice

Per your request:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

ASUS Prime X370-A

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Integrated Intel only.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP LG 34UC97

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etcTera Grand - Premium DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable 10 feet long.<td style="border: 0px solid black; padding: 0 5.4pt 0 5.4pt; border-right: solid windowtext 1.0pt; border-bottom: solid windowtext 1.0pt; border-left: none; border-top: none;" width="29...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tmellor,

I am done with the testing and I have found no problems when using the drivers you have tried, including the latest one. Up to this point, what we can check is, the monitor and see if there is any firmware update available for it. If not, then try with a different monitor just to completely confirm it, however, from our side, it has been checked with several monitors and none of them gave us the same results as your problem.

Let me know if you are able to update the firmware or try a different monitor.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, tmellor.

I would like to know if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps provided above. If so, please share with us the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
TMell2
Novice

I could not locate any firmware updates from LG for the monitor I have and as I do not have any other monitor that has a display port input, I have decided to keep on using the older Intel driver as it works fine.

I do not understand how it does not work properly on the new driver when it worked perfectly on the old one. What changed?

It looks like it may be another case of finger pointing both ways. ☛☚.

I guess I will just wait until somebody else reports the same problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tmellor,

Upon research and reviewing with the monitor information you provided, I was able to find the support page for it. It contains a driver for Windows* 10. Please proceed to install it and make sure that everything is up to date:

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-firmware?search=34UC87C&pageVisibleFlag=2 https://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-firmware?search=34UC87C&pageVisibleFlag=2

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

Once installed, please reboot the system and try one more time to see if the issue persists.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TMell2
Novice

That is the current driver that I am using for my LG monitor.

I see now that someone else (jogal) is also having this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tmellor,

We are currently looking into this, please allow me some time and I will be getting back to you.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JGali5
New Contributor I

Tested today new driver 24.20.100.6229 and the issue persists.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jogal,

Thank you for your patience.

I can see that "jogal" has tried the new driver but the issue persists; however, I would like to know if you have tried the latest driver as well. What was the outcome? Does the issue persist?

Please let me know.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TMell2
Novice

Yes I tried driver 6229 and the issue still persists.

0 Kudos
JGali5
New Contributor I

Is there any news? Is someone from Intel looking at it?

It seems that it happens with all Asus Z270 / Z370 motherboards connected by DisplayPort so I do not think it's hard to reproduce...

The model / brand of monitor is indifferent.

0 Kudos