Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Mouse lag on laptop's screen on Intel Iris Plus 10th Gen

gabrio
Beginner

hello,

i have a new PC an Asus Zenbook with Iris Plus graphics, gen 10th i7 processor. I am using an HP g2 docking station connected via usb-c when i have my screen in "extend" mode, and the main screen set as the external screen, connected on Display-P to HDMI adapter, then i have a mouse lag on the laptop screen - again in extend mode.

if i plug straight into HDMI there is no lag and in addition, my other laptop, which is another Asus Vivobook s15 does not have this lag - although different system.

If i choose the main screen as laptop screen during extend mode, then there is no lag but that's not what i want. Additionally, i checked with the DisplayLink support since the HP g2 dock uses a DisplayLink chip for graphics and they said that if the lag is on the laptop screen, then it's not their fault but it's something to do with the laptop.

I have just installed the latest intel driver 27.20.100.9466 and i noticed that while being installed the lag was gone, i was happy, but then i restarted the PC and it's back. according to win10's properties, the laptop screen is at 59.934 hz while the external screen is at 60 hz.

interestingly this is an Asus external screen, so same brand as the laptop. at work, i have another AOC screen and there is no lag there but that was connected straight to the HDMI so no dock so same as doing it with my Asus ext screen and straight to HDMI, so it IS the dock? but then again with my S15 no lag so it is the Iris Plus then?? what a loop. 🙂

how's that possible? how can i fix it?

what could it be?

do you have any suggestions?

many thanks,

Gabrio

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gabrio
Beginner

and finally something else very odd - when it's on the dock, if i open excel and simply do a CTRL B for bolding some text, excel hangs for like 1-2 minutes. this does NOT happen when it's without the docking station. something's up

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @gabrio

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that the behaviors described only occur when using the HP* G2 docking station. We noticed that you also tested with the Intel® generic DCH graphics driver version 27.20.100.9466 (Latest).

Intel does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters, dockings, or converters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. For more details, please review this article: Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel.

The best solution is doing a direct connection with a single cable that has the same connection type in both ends. General recommendations are to make sure Windows® is up to date, also make sure you are using the customized driver provided by your computer manufacturer (OEM) ASUS* and checking with them if additional firmware is available, for instance, a BIOS update.

If none of these workarounds fixes the issue, it is very likely that the adapter is not supported by the controller. In that case, please contact the adapter manufacturer to look for possible workarounds.

Based on the information you shared, the Intel® generic driver is working as expected under normal use (when used in straight-through connections) and the problem has been identified/isolated to the docking (it is triggered when connecting the docking). Hence, we recommend addressing this to your OEM since they may have access to this configuration/hardware so they can debug further from their side and confirm if there could be a compatibility issue between the system and the docking. For your convenience, here is the link to ASUS* Support.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
gabrio
Beginner

thank you for the extended reply - i am following this with Asus with a report actually. it's difficult to say where is the incompatibility as the Dock works with my other Asus laptop (although another model and older).

0 Kudos
gabrio
Beginner

one last thing to add:

if i uninstall the video drivers, even with the dock connected, the lag immediately disappears. in the very moment that i re install the intel iris plus drivers, the lag occurs. this is quite key, it's a drivers thing i think. doesn't matter if it's Asus intel drivers or intel original.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello gabrio

Thank you for your responses.

We understand your point. However, you mentioned that when you "plug straight into HDMI" (meaning that the Docking Station is not involved) the system works fine using the graphics drivers, which is the validated environment (straight-through connections).

Chances are that there could be a trigger for those behaviors when the graphics driver and the dock are both working. However, we cannot test or validate the use of adapters or dockings since we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. Usually, computer manufacturers (OEM) conduct tests with different components and peripherals to confirm compatibility, as well they most likely customize drivers to address platform-specific needs. In this scenario, the OEM is the one that can debug this further as they should have access to this specific laptop model so the best thing to do is to report this directly to your OEM ASUS*, particularly if this is happening with the OEM driver provided by ASUS* as it is supposed that driver was tested and validated by them to work on your system.

Having said that, we kindly recommend continuing working with ASUS* and we will proceed to close this inquiry. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos