Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Multiple context sharing failure

Teglath
Beginner

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with OpenGL context sharing on an Intel UHD 630 device with the latest driver.

Conceptually, my application has two "root" contexts sharing display lists and each time a new context is created, it has to be shared with these two root contexts.

The problem is that the first call "wglShareLists(rootHRC1, childRC)" succeeds but the second call "wglShareLists(rootHRC2, childRC)" fails.

Of course, this second call is technically useless, but the second root context is managed by an external library over which I have no control. Furthermore, this library stops working if wglShareLists() fails even if in this case it could gracefully ignore the error.

The first call to wglShareLists(rootHRC1, childRC) is also mandatory in my application because childRC is not always managed by the external library in which case the call "wglShareLists(rootHRC2, childRC)" is not done.

So to summarize:

- Two "root" contexts are created at start: rootRC1 and rootRC2

- The root contexts are shared: wglShareLists(rootRC1, rootRC2)

- A child context is created: childRC

- The child context is successfully shared with the first root context: wglShareLists(rootRC1, childRC)

- The child context is unsuccessfully shared with the second root context: wglShareLists(rootRC2, childRC) -> returns FALSE

Given the poor official specifications of wglShareLists(), I admit that this behavior is a borderline case, but it works fine on NVidia devices, and also on Intel HD 630 device (according to the provider of the external library). It also seems to me that it used to work in previous versions of the driver, although I cannot say which version was working fine.

I hereby attach the report of my device generated by the Intel configuration panel along with a Visual Studio 2019 project to help replicate the problem.

My computer is a laptop computer without any external display connected.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Teglath
Beginner

In fact the problem is even easier to reproduce:

- Create one root context: rootRC

- Create a display list into it with glNewList (the problem does not occur with an empty context)

- Create a child context: childRC

- Call wglShareLists(rootRC, childRC) twice. The second call fails.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Teglath,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Teglath,

In this case, please share with us the following information:

1. Are you the app/tool developer?
  2. Is the app publicly available for testing?
  3. Which drivers have you tested?

Also, please provide us with specific steps and instructions to try to reproduce the issue. If possible, videos and photos. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Teglath
Beginner

Hi,

1. Yes, I am the developer in charge of 3D Rendering for our CAD application TopSolid.

2. I can provide you with a link to our application if needed in a private message. Please note that I have provided you with a downsized sample application which should reproduce the problem in my first message (SharedContextTest.zip)

3. My first message also includes my hardware configuration. To sum up: Intel UHD Graphics 630 on Windows 10 Pro with driver 27.20.100.8854

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Teglath,

Thank you for the information provided, I will continue checking the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Teglath,

In this case, please provide us with the specific steps to try to replicate the issue in our lab. 

Also, we have sent you an email to the address you use to register in the community so that you can share with us the application you are having the issue with. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Teglath,

We have received the information via email. We will check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Regards,

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Teglath,

In this case, please try using the latest generic driver provided by Intel. In order to install it, please perform a clean installation of the driver following the next instructions:

Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 

• Click the search and type Windows updates and click on that option.

• Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Clean installation of the Graphics Driver:

1- Download the latest customized driver and save the installer on the computer.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Graphics driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in Device Manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', or similar. If not, repeat step 3. Repeat the process until it is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

7- Install the latest graphics driver.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

If the issue persists, please download and install the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Also, you mentioned that according to the provider of the external library, the HD 630 should work fine. Could you confirm if it was previously working with the current driver version ( 27.20.100.8854) or with an older one?

Regards,

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Teglath
Beginner

Hello,

I have followed all your instructions. As a result, the graphic driver has been updated to version 30.0.101.1191.

However, this has not solved my problem.

I have attached to this message the file generated by SSU.

I have asked the provider of the external library about his device and driver version. I will send you this information as soon as I get it.

Regards.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Teglath,

Thank you for the information provided, we will wait for you to get a response about the device and the driver. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Teglath
Beginner

Hello,

I just got the information from our library provider (who apparently does not have this problem):

Device: Intel HD Graphics 630

Driver: 27.20.100.8682

Regards

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Teglath,

Thank you for the information provided, I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Teglath,

Thank you for all the information provided and all the details, in this case, since the issue is being seen when developing a customer application, our recommendation is to post a question on our Intel Developer Zone. There you will receive the appropriate support on this and other concerns you may have related to this issue. 

Here you will find the links to access the website and the community forums: 

- https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/home.html 

- https://community.intel.com/t5/Software/ct-p/software-products 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,

Josue O.  

0 Kudos