Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

My Intel graphics HD 4600 driver is outdated, My Asus laptop wont let me update!

idata
Employee

So ya.. My Intel graphics HD 4600 driver is outdated, i downloaded the drivers from the intel site. when i try and install it says i cant install due my manufacturers restrictions (ASUS).

unfortunately for me im running Windows 7 and the ASUS website only offers drivers for windows 8 and above... no support for windows 7... i sent an email to the ASUS tech support. asking if they can somehow send me a compatible driver, ive got no reply yet. should i just follow the guide on how to install the driver manually? if that'll even work.. it seems kind of risky

thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi ,

Before you install any driver you should uninstall the old one, and then use this utility http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 16.0.0.2 to completely remove any leftovers of the old driver.

The drivers provided by intel are generic drivers and it may not work correctly on your device.

Your HD 4600 doesn't have support for windows 7, anymore from what I saw. However it is fully supported on windows 10.

Latest generic driver for windows 7 is this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25978/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply..

i just got the email from Asus tech support and it was completely useless.. they just gave me the phone number of the nearest Asus dealership near the area where i live. ill get back to you once i muster up the courage to install the generic driver.. if all fails can i roll back to the driver i removed? should i back up the old driver before uninstalling it?

thanks again!
0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

You should only note down the version of the older driver.

If the new driver doesn't work you can uninstall it and reinstall the older version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ishkhanian,

I recommend you to try again with the generic driver

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25978/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81496

Please follow up the steps below

1-Download the zip file of the driver from downloadcenter, unzip and keep file in the desktop.

2-Turn Internet connection off

3-Go to device manager>Display Adapter, right click Intel HD graphics and select uninstall driver (check delete box)

4-Restart the computer

5-Go to device manager>Display Adapter, right click over Microsoft generic driver select Update driver, browse search for graphics folder at desktop (step 1)

6-Restart system and review graphics driver version installed from device manager or Graphics control Panel.

Let me know how it works.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ishkhanian, I am following up on your case. Let me know if you need additional help.

Regards,Mike C
0 Kudos