Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20954 Discussions

Need help manually installing new "Radeon RX Vega M GL" graphics driver.

DuragHokage
Novice

I have an Acer Aspire 7 (i7-8705G) and I've done an extensive number of things trying to install a new driver, but I'll keep it short. 

Basically, I play Monster Hunter World on steam, and I get a message that says my Radeon driver is out of date and that I need a driver version that's 20.2.2 or newer. But when I check device manager it says that my Radeon graphics driver is 25.20. I also contacted acer support and they had me download a program called Driver Booster 10 which also told me that my Vega driver is updated at the 25.20 version. But for some reason I still receive that message whenever I try to play monster hunter. Thats when I noticed I had a Radeon app on my computer that said my Radeon is actually version 18, not what device manager says. The game will still play but after a while the computer gets hot and turns off on me. 

Now I went to Intel's website after AMD's customer support told me that my driver would be found on Intel's website and was able to find that there was an "Intel HD" & "Radeon RX Vega" graphics that COULD be updated. So currently I have 25.20 but was able to update the intel graphics to the 31.0 version. But the Radeon doesn't work because it pulls up the AMD software installer and I get "error 182". I followed instructions on one of the forums on this website and found out how to manually install the new driver, but I receive this message...

"Installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware. If the driver is not compatible, your hardware will not work correctly and your computer might become unstable or stop working completely. Do you want to continue installing this driver."

So, my question is since device manager and driver booster both say the same thing as far as the driver already being updated, should I not touch any updates and just assume that it's a problem with Steam or Monster Hunter? 

Or since Intel's website detected that I have updates available and even the Radeon app was showing a prior version than device manager...am I okay with installing that driver manually and I won't occur any problems that were indicated in the driver installation warning message? 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DuragHokage, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

For this scenario, it is important to mention that when a mobile device is being used, such as a laptop, everything in there is customized by the manufacturer of it, especially in this case that it seems your computer is working with a dual graphics configuration. They can enable/disable BIOS settings as well as features and functions in order for their device to comply with the functionality they advertised.

The Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific machine. Based on that, we actually recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

Also, regardless of the graphics driver version being used, it is not a reason why the computer will get overheated.

In order for us to be able to verify further details about the graphics drivers installed in your equipment, please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DuragHokage
Novice

Hey, thank you for your response.

So, after speaking with AMD, and receiving a warning message from Intel about trying to download the driver I actually got in contact with ACER customer support to ask them for guidance in this situation seeing as they're the manufacturer of my Acer Aspire. I was informed by the customer agent representative at Acer that the components in the computer are only "put together" by Acer and that the drivers and system features and everything else etc. is provided by and customized by Windows and Intel. He told me that they (Acer) would have nothing to do with the drivers and wouldn't be able to offer support and that I would need to reach out to Intel, AMD & Windows. At this point the only people I haven't spoken with as far as customer service is Windows and Intel and it seems so far I've been getting a run around as far as simply updating a driver. So, if the manufacturer is the one who has specific customizations on my computer, then I'm not sure why ACER would be relaying that information to me as if they don't. 

No matter what place I try and download the driver from, it brings up the AMD Software installer and gives me error 182. SO, the only methos is to install the diver manually. But upon trying to install it manually is when i received that warning message listed obove. 

I've also watched videos on how to access BIOS settings and I don't see an option to enable or disable anything regarding display drivers. When I watch videos, other people have that feature but I haven't seen it when I try to. 

The SSU file requested is attached. 

0 Kudos
Thaddeus
New Contributor I

@DuragHokage wrote:

So currently I have 25.20 but was able to update the intel graphics to the 31.0 version. But the Radeon doesn't work because it pulls up the AMD software installer and I get "error 182".

I had a similar issue with another Kaby Lake-G laptop—the Dell XPS 9575—where I could update the Intel graphics drivers but could not update the Radeon RX Vega M driver. My workaround was to completely remove the original video drivers for both the HD 630 Graphics and the Radeon RX Vega M GL with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). After removing both drivers, I was able to install the Radeon and generic Intel Graphics drivers without errors from AMD's installer or Windows.

• Since you've got a different laptop, YMMV.
  • Whatever you decide to do, make sure you've got backups of your laptop.
@DuragHokage wrote:

Basically, I play Monster Hunter World on steam, and I get a message that says my Radeon driver is out of date and that I need a driver version that's 20.2.2 or newer. But when I check device manager it says that my Radeon graphics driver is 25.20. … Thats when I noticed I had a Radeon app on my computer that said my Radeon is actually version 18, not what device manager says. 

So you already figured out that AMD's Radeon video driver numbering scheme has different versions based upon where you look. From the warning you get in Monster Hunter World, I think that Capcom is looking for AMD's Radeon Adrenalin Edition v20.2.2  software. 

Before continuing on, here's what I understand about the different driver and software release terminology for Radeon Graphics drivers and software:

• The Adrenalin Edition is a combined driver and software package that comes directly from AMD.
  • You'll also see Radeon Driver versions, which is the base display driver from AMD and the number that Intel uses to describe Vega M driver releases.
  • Finally, the number you see in Windows' Device Manager is a version number called the "Windows Driver Store Version".

The Release Notes for Adrenalin v20.2.2 mentions that the 20.2.2 release contains:

• Radeon Driver v19.50.19.19;
    • Which is also v26.20.15019.19000 in Windows' Device Manager.

So Monster Hunter World is looking for any of the above driver versions (or later versions), which means you could try installing the following Radeon drivers with the latest generic Intel Graphics driver:

1. The latest Vega M driver from Intel is Radeon Driver v22.10.17.01 (released 2022-07-07),  
    • but the download page says the v22.x Vega M driver is for the Hades Canyon NUC.
      • Not sure if that means the installer would throw up an error on your laptop.
  2. The latest generic Vega M driver from Intel is Radeon Driver v21.30.37.04 (released 2021-12-28), and
  3. AMD's last Adrenalin Edition release to support the Vega M series was Adrenalin v20.4.1 (dated 2020-04-01).

Since it sounds like you've already tried installing some of Intel's latest drivers for the Vega M GL, you'll have to decide if attempting a clean install of both your Intel and Radeon graphics drivers is worth your effort and time.

@DuragHokage wrote:

The game will still play but after a while the computer gets hot and turns off on me. 

I never ran into any thermal shutdowns b/c of the Vega M, but the XPS 9575 got hot when gaming and would also heat up my desk. I found that raising the laptop about ½-inch (~13 mm) by putting the laptop on a wire tray greatly improved access to fresh air—since the cooling fan intake was on the bottom of the laptop. Again, not sure where the cooler intake is on your Acer laptop so YMMV.

twistolie
Beginner

Hi Thaddeus, I'm having the same problem wuth the same Dell XPS 9575, could you guide me on the process and if you were able to solve the problem entirely

0 Kudos
twistolie
Beginner
0 Kudos
Thaddeus
New Contributor I

@twistolie wrote:

… if you were able to solve the problem entirely

Yes. Here's what I wrote earlier in the thread:

@Thaddeus wrote:

My workaround was to completely remove the original video drivers for both the HD 630 Graphics and the Radeon RX Vega M GL with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). After removing both drivers, I was able to install the Radeon and generic Intel Graphics drivers without errors from AMD's installer or Windows.

@twistolie wrote:

… could you guide me on the process …

Here are the steps I used for the "workaround" I described earlier in the thread:

Warning ⚠️

THIS PROCEDURE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS PROCEDURE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS PROCEDURE.

tl;dr: Use this procedure at your own risk!

Part I: Prep for driver removal and re-installation

1. Download and install DDU.
  2. Download the latest graphics driver for Intel 7th-10th gen. processors.
  3. Download the Radeon RX Vega M graphics driver for Dell XPS laptops.
    • Kudos 👍 to @n_scott_pearson for providing a link to this driver earlier in the thread!
  4. Backup your data!
  5. If you're using Windows BitLocker—i.e., if your boot drive is encrypted—find your BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key.
    • The recovery key will be used in Part II of this procedure.
  6. Put your laptop into airplane mode and disconnect any other network connections—i.e.,
    • You want to ensure that all network connections are disconnected before moving to parts II and III.

Part II: Remove all graphics drivers from Windows

1. Reboot into safe mode. On Windows 11 v22H2 you can do this by:
    1. StartSettingsSystemRecoveryAdvanced startup → Restart now.
    2. After the system reboots, at the Recovery menu choose: TroubleshootAdvanced optionsStartup Settings → Restart.
    3. After the second reboot, at the Startup Settings menu choose option 4) Enable Safe Mode.
    4. If your boot drive is encrypted, you'll be prompted to unlock the drive using your BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key.
  2. Launch DDU
    1. Set the "device type" to GPU.
    2. Set the "device" to Intel.
    3. Select Clean and do NOT restart, and wait for the Intel graphics driver to be uninstalled.
    4. Set the "device" to AMD.
    5. Select Clean and restart.

Part III: Install latest graphics drivers

1. Install the drivers for the HD Graphics 630 and Radeon RX Vega M GL GPUs that were downloaded in Part I, steps 2 and 3, respectively.
  2. Restart your laptop.
  3. Take your laptop out of airplane mode, and reconnect any other network connections.

Final Thoughts

I hope that the driver uninstall and re-install procedure resolves the GPU problem you're experiencing.

Please note that Intel and AMD have announced that the HD Graphics 600 series and Radeon RX Vega series of GPUs, respectively, are legacy products and driver development in the future will be minimal. Do not expect any more driver updates in the future—for either GPU.

0 Kudos
twistolie
Beginner

Thanks, @Thaddeus and @n_scott_pearson for the detailed guide on the issue with Display adapters on my XPS 9575. Yesterday, I followed the same procedures and downloaded the drivers (in the links provided). The laptop was fine for some time but I was experiencing a bit of unresponsiveness at some point until I had to disable the drivers(Intel and Radeon) in the device manager alternatively to check on performance and the laptop is no different with either driver enabled. As of now, I have had to disable both drivers, and it feels much better using the laptop. I will go ahead to repeat the same processes before maybe seeking a different SSD, current health is at 69% in the Sentinnel software, what would be your thoughts on the same or what suggestions would you make on the SSD change?

Additionally, I noted that in safe mode, many drivers are indicated to have issues(⚠️⚠️⚠️) and the fans run louder while plugged to charge.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DuragHokage, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Thaddeus, Thank you very much for sharing those suggestions.

According to the SSU report, the Intel® graphics driver currently installed on your computer is 31.0.101.2111. And for Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics the graphics driver version is 25.20.15006.9.

I looked on Acer's website and it seems to be that actually, they do not have graphics drivers available for your machine:

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/drivers-and-manuals?filter=global_download&search=Aspire+A715-73G

So, try a clean installation of both drivers following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics.html

First our Intel® latest graphics driver version 31.0.101.3729:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?wapkw=hd%20graphics%20630

And then, install the latest Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics driver validated for this processor, which is actually version 30.0.13037.4001: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19282/radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics.html?wapkw=radeon%20rx%20vega%20m%20gl 

If the problem remains, as recommended by Thaddeus, then try a clean installation of the Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics driver version 22.10.17.01, which, even though the processor model might be the same, that driver was actually validated for Intel® NUCS:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19269/radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics-driver-for-windows-10-64-bit-for-nuc8i7hnk-nuc8i7hvk.html

Please make sure also to check directly with Acer Support that the latest BIOS version is currently installed on your device:

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DuragHokage, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
DuragHokage
Novice

Hey so i went ahead and took that chance and updated the driver even though i was getting that warning message. The driver installed correctly, and I have no driver messages when I start monster hunter. 

The only thing now is that after a while my computer will get pretty hot even when i have it elevated so that the vents are exposed. I thought this fixed the turning off problem because when i played it yesterday I played it for a long time and it didn't turn off. It was still pretty hot though. 

But today i went to play it and maybe 30 min in, my computer turned off. I go into task manager and i hit "end task" on a lot of processes that i have no idea what are used for and it only helps my CPU & Memory %'s a little bit. Any recommendations on this. Since its still getting hot and turning my computer off, im assuming installing the new driver didn't do much of a difference. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi DuragHokage, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Perfect, it is great to know that the driver was installed properly and that you are able to play the game with no problems.

In reference to the laptop getting overheated, what we recommend will be to get in contact directly with Acer Support in order to report this scenario, for them to do a physical inspection of the machine to determine what might be the component that is causing the laptop to get overheated. Since they assemble the computer, they are aware of all the parts being used and should be able to identify what is causing this issue and provide additional technical assistance on this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would start here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/786439/radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics-for-dell-xps-laptops.html. Extract the contents of the ZIP and click on the Setup.exe file.

...S

twistolie
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson I have downloaded that driver before but it cannot be installed on my laptop. It brings error-182 on installation. Notably, I am also using Windows 11. Somehow, I have realized that the intel(R) HD 630 Graphics driver causes bad performance on the laptop, the fan running loud and hot with with multiple BSOD errors and freezes I have uninstalled it twice using DDU but has still come back therefore had to disable it after powering on. The Radeon Graphics card runs once in a while, (mostly hidden under the display adapters in device manager) and the laptop would run quite however the response is slow sometimes and brightness cannot be adjusted.

0 Kudos