Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

No 4K @ 60Hz or HDR with new i5-9400 + UHD 630

kkl
Beginner

I just purchased a new Acer TC-885-UA92 that has a i5-9400 + UHD 630.  There are two HDMI motherboard connectors.  The problem is that I cannot connect in 4K at 60Hz and no HDR.  The driver is 27.20.100.8476.  Windows says that HDR is not supported and the Intel Graphics Command Center won't let me go above 30Hz at 4K.

I have multiple other devices that have no trouble with those specs.  An older AMD PC with a GTX 1050 card connects at 4K 60Hz and in HDR.  A Roku 4K, FireTV Stick 4K, and Tivo Stream 4K can also connect at 60 Hz or HDR.  I tried a newer 4K monitor and it was no different.  I used the same cable with the Intel HDMI as I used successfully with the other PC.

I think the problem is with the Intel driver and firmware and would appreciate some help.  Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kkl
Beginner

Thank you for the message Ronald.  I haven't been able to get a hold of Acer yet.  As you've also discovered, detailed specs are hard to come by.

I didn't even think it possible that a PC released in 2019 would have HDMI ports that were not 2.0.  I assumed the Intel chipset would provide it automatically.  Now I have a sick feeling as I found this answer at Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx3O6FOSBYU90TC/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza.  The answerer Acer America said, "the HDMI version is 1.4".   Uggh.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RonaldM_Intel

Hi @kkl 

Keep in mind that HDMI 2.0 can drive 4K@60hz,  however HDMI 1.4 is going to be limited to 4K@30hz .

I searched Acer's site to confirm if both HDMI ports on the TC-885 are HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 1.4, unfortunately I couldn't find anything concrete.

I would suggest contacting Acer and get confirmation of the following:

• Is any of the HDMI ports on your computer HDMI 2.0?
    • If their answer is yes, the next logical question for them would be if they have they tested and validated 4K@60hz or not (and confirm under which driver and BIOS).

I am not sure about this being a driver issue, I have several systems (mostly Laptops and NUCs) that can use 4K@60hz using the latest generic drivers for Windows 10. Have you tested using the latest drivers provided directly by Acer?

Feel free to add your Intel Graphics Command Center report (make sure the 4K display is connected). This can yield useful information.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

kkl
Beginner

Thank you for the message Ronald.  I haven't been able to get a hold of Acer yet.  As you've also discovered, detailed specs are hard to come by.

I didn't even think it possible that a PC released in 2019 would have HDMI ports that were not 2.0.  I assumed the Intel chipset would provide it automatically.  Now I have a sick feeling as I found this answer at Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx3O6FOSBYU90TC/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza.  The answerer Acer America said, "the HDMI version is 1.4".   Uggh.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

I'm happy to help, but at the same time I am sorry to hear you're out of luck with those HDMI ports... a real bummer! 😞

Ronald M.