Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

No HDR Support on Intel 630, need advanced troubleshooting

proverbs
Beginner

Dear Intel Support Team,

I have a Zotac MI572 computer and it shows that Intel 630 HDR NOT SUPPORTED in Windows.  I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps from Zotac and Samsung, and so far, no luck.  All the basic stuff has been cleared--

Samsung RU8000 is HDR capable and the HDR function was turned on from the TV

HDR on other devices and apps work (there is a little HDR icon that pops up so you know it's working)

All the latest updates and drivers have been installed for Windows, display drivers, and the Samsung TV

The BIOS is the current version

Installed Intel Command Center and Intel Control Panel

DxDiag shows TV is HDR Supported but Intel 630 is HDR Not Supported

I browsed through the forums and saw that there was a similar problem with a similar Zotac computer, however, the issue was not fixed because the person just ended up getting a new computer--

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Intel-HD-620-and-HDR-Support-on-Windows/td-p/542531/page/2

I've included my screenshots showing the updates and also the DxDiag.  Could you please help me get this working???  I can provide any additional information.

Thank you so much for your time!

Isaac

0 Kudos
35 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So we can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc

0 Kudos
proverbs
Beginner

Hello Al,

Thank you so much for your reply and I apologize for the delay in response.  Please see attached file for the requested information.

Isaac

0 Kudos
proverbs
Beginner

Hi Al, just checking in to see if you had a chance to review the file?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello proverbs, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. What cable are you using to connect the mini-PC to the Samsung* TV? Are you using any adapters? Please provide the versions of the cables (HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.3, etc) and the model of the adapter (if used). 

2. Please provide the report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
proverbs
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for the reply. 

I have several HDMI cables, and they are HDMI 2.0+.  This is one of the cables I have and my other ones are pretty similar--

https://www.amazon.com/48Gbps-Compatible-Netflix-Playstation-Samsung/dp/B07S1CGQ9Z/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=8k+hdmi+cable&qid=1595986493&sr=8-3

Intel Graphics report is attached.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello proverbs, 

Thank you for your reply, please check our recommendations below:  

• Did this feature work before? Do you remember if the behavior appeared after a Windows* update? 
  • I can see that you are using the BETA driver version 27.20.100.8425, can you try using the latest stable driver version 27.20.100.8476? Please use these instructions to install this driver: 

1. Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer. 
  2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features
  4. Restart the computer. 
  5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 
  7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1. 
  8. Restart the computer. 
  9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
proverbs
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

This is a new TV, so the HDR was never tested before.  We also never looked at the HDR capabilities on the computer because we never needed it before.

As stated, I went through all the basic testing, which includes the Windows updates.  The reason I have the beta version is because the current version was not working (the same version in your link).  I was hoping that the newer beta version would work.  I also uninstalled the display driver (to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) and re-installed, but that didn't fix the problem. 

0 Kudos
proverbs
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

I have good news and bad news.  The good news -- Zotac sent me a link to download a firmware update http://support.pcpartner.com/support/temp/DP_to_HDMI_Bridge_Firmware_Update_(0x24).zip

After the firmware installation, I finally saw the HDR toggle switch!  So I turned it on... then the screen went blank.  Then it said it could not detect the TV.  Now, the PC can only detect the monitor if the TV's HDR is off.  I've been fiddling with it all morning but no luck.  The only way the TV displays picture is if I turn off the HDR from the TV, which automatically turns off the HDR on the PC.

It looks like were getting very close, but just not there yet.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I know what you've said previously, but I've gotta say it: This is the standard description for problems caused by an incapable or poor quality HDMI cable.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
proverbs
Beginner

Scott, I have several HDMI cables and all that were tested had no issues with running HDR on other devices.  Cables were ruled out.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello proverbs, 

Thank you for the information provided. 

We would like to make some internal checking about this behavior, please kindly wait for our response. We will update on this thread once we have an update. 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
ATsai15
Beginner

hi

I just saw this thread. When I install driver V.27.20.100.8336, I can enable HDR in windows10 with samsung LCD TV. But if I install the V.27.20.100.8476 driver, the HDR cannot enable anymore. I have to go back V.27.20.100.8336 to active the HDR in win10.

Anderson

0 Kudos
proverbs
Beginner

I tried on 8336 before updating to 8476.  One detail I forgot to mention is that it works on the first restart--

I uninstalled the Intel Graphics driver in Device Manager and restart the computer

install 8336/8425/8476 and restart again

I activate HDR on the TV and restart again

I go to Display settings and all HDR settings show and is turned on -- It works!...but the colors are washed out, everything is extremely dim, the responsiveness is poor as it keeps skipping, video quality is not good, etc.  I restart again, and it goes back to not detecting the display.

So, it only works on the first restart after the TV's HDR is activated.  However, it doesn't seem to be actual HDR and when I restart the computer again, it can't detect the display again.

I attached the DxDiag from the first restart where it shows that HDR is supported.  There is hope!

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello, 

Thank you for patiently waiting for a response. 

Based on the reports you provided and some testing made, this is the outcome we have: 

• We tried replicating this on our end with one of our mini PCs, using Windows 2004 and the latest driver 27.20.100.8476, and the HDR feature shows up, please check the attachment and let us know if you think that we are missing something.  
  • We could see on your reports that the graphics drivers recognize the connection as DisplayPort, this is because the processor you have (Intel® Core™ i7-7700T Processor) does not support HDMI 2.0 natively, therefore; the mini PC you have is using an LSPCON (level-shifter protocol converter) internal adapter to convert the signal. 
  • Based on this, the problem can be the LSPCON being used by your mini PC; please keep in mind that HDR needs HDMI 2.0a, and DP 1.3 (check that here). You might want to check with ZOTAC* if the port is HDMI 2.0a (has to be revision a) and if the LSPCON supports the HDR feature, this might need a firmware update.  
  • Otherwise, since you report this strange behavior that it works at the first restart but it seems washed out, it might be a problem also with the Operating System. You can rule this out by making a fresh reinstallation of your Windows*. However, please remember to check the ports and internal adapters of your mini PC to make sure they will work with HDR. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
ATsai15
Beginner

hi

I tested intel NUC10 (Core i5-10210U comet lake) and another IceLake based laptop (Razer stealth 13" 2019). Driver V.8336 can show HDR but V.8476 can't. I use my own design TBT3 to HDMI dongle (Parade PS186 HDMI2.0b converter) and another synaptics VMM5320 based DP to HDMI2.0b USB-C dongle. Both of them can also active HDR with macMini2018 in macOS.

I saw the 8476 release notes: Observed brightness changing automatically when playing HDR Video content in Movies & TV app with HDR disabled on 10th Generation Intel Core processors with Intel Iris Plus graphics and UHD Graphics.

I will try 8th generation CPU to see if 8476 can active HDR or not.

0 Kudos
ATsai15
Beginner

one more thing. I saw newest Microsoft win10 OS Build 19041.423 release notes (you can update via windows update optional): Updates an issue that might display 4K high dynamic range (HDR) content darker than expected when you configure certain non-HDR systems for HDR Streaming.

I guess it the same thing about the intel driver V.8476 fixed.

0 Kudos
proverbs
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, the Windows update didn't work for me.  Also, none of the driver versions work for me -- the 8336 and 8476 are the same -- it only worked on the very first restart.  After that, there is no signal detected.  I also just tried all the versions with the new Windows update.

Could you provide a link to the adapters you have?  Do you think they will work for me?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ATsai15
Beginner

hi

I cannot leak my own design products. 

https://www.amazon.com/Club-3D-USB-HDMI-2-0/dp/B078TTHWT3

But you can try this. This is not designed by me but it should work if your computer and TV are normal.

0 Kudos
proverbs
Beginner

Thank you for the link.  I think I'll give a try as a very last resort.  Also, In a previous post, Sebastian mentions that only HDMI 2.0a will work.  I would like his feedback on this as well.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
proverbs
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

Here is the link to the specs of the machine--

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/mi572

I was pessimistic that the computer was HDR capable at first, but the Zotac sales and customer support guaranteed me that HDR is capable on the machine and then showed me proof that it should work.  But if it was a simple firmware fix, wouldn't they know?  It seems like this would be a very common problem? 

They sent me the attached screenshot, but I just noticed that the HDR is clearly OFF, so I will have to follow up with them.

0 Kudos