Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Nuc8i7hnk second monitor detection problem

JayDee
New Contributor I
Hello,
i am having strange problem...
I bought 2 monitors from Lenovo and when pluged both in one is not detected...

I tested...
- plug in one monitor in front and rear hdmi input - it worked
- plug in other monitor in front and in rear hdmi input - it worked
- plug in both - one is working second one not

- right click on dwsktop - screen options - multiple screens - DETECT - no detection

- in device maneger there is just "generic pnp monitor" but just one

- in intel control panel for graphics - display - connected displays - all time refreshing no information about screens

- all drivers up to date from 6.1.2021
- all drivers from intel driver support assistant are updated

Is it possible that nuc8i7 supoorts only one HDMI display? Other need to be on display port? I had once problem on big tower PC.. graphic had DVI and 2 display port outopts... but it worked for 2 displays only... so 3 outputs but only 2 connected... so otions were 2... one DVI and 1 port OR port and port.... its 15yers old PC 🙂

I am waiting for display adapter from mini displayport to hdmi so i will try that option...

Got any ideas?

So i am trying to activete both HDMI outputs in same time...
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JayDee
New Contributor I
And i even try fast option in windows 10... windows key + P

I chose copy or extand monitor... close tab... repet keys and it shows me default single monitor...
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, please don't refer to any NUC using a term like NUC8i7. There are a whole slew of NUCs whose model name begins with NUC8i7. First, for kit products, you will see NUC8i7INH, NUC8i7BEH, NUC8i7BEK, NUC8i7HNK and NUC8i7HVK. Then, for system products, you will see NUC8i7INHGA, NUC8i7BEHGA, NUC8i7BEKQA, NUC8i7HNKQC and NUC8i7HVKVA.

Yes, I am being a bit **bleep** here, but you must see the issue. If you really must short-form the name, you should start by specifying the family code - IN, BE, HN or HV (all of which imply the NUC8 portion). In the case of HN and HV, the family code is usually sufficient for any discussion that does not require the specification of the system's memory and/or storage context. For IN and BE, if it really matters to the discussion (which is also fairly rare), specify the H or K for the chassis type and the i3, i5 or i7 for the processor type. For more information, consult this page: Intel NUC Identification.

So, with that out of the way, let's discuss you issue...

For the HN and HV NUCs, the Intel HD Graphics engine in the processor is not connected to nor has any control over the graphics outputs; these are all owned and controlled by the AMD HD Graphics engine. What this means is that the Intel Graphics Control Panel and Intel Graphics Control Center applications should not be used. Instead, you should be using the AMD Radeon Software application.

Finally, no, the two HDMI ports, the two DisplayPort ports and the two USB-C/TBT3 ports are all independent and can be used in any combination. Using the two HDMI ports is perfectly fine.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
JayDee
New Contributor I
Ok i will specific the model next time as NUC8i7HNK, hope that will tell that this is nuc kit and i dont know what more you need to know? I can give you serial number or what? At the back of the device there is specificated only as BOXNUC8i7HNK... hope that is all you need otherwise just ask for more details...

So the device specifications say i have
Processor: Intel HD Graphics 630
Discrete: Radeon RX Vega M GL graphic

Can you help me the right software? Or control center?

0 Kudos
JayDee
New Contributor I
So i try to install Radeon control panel and i got only installation from 2019. Installation was makeing progres so the screens go black and when turn on back it turns on both screens... so it wass progres... but second from there the NUC freezes... now is freezing every time i restart...

I went to safe mode by this command
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network
And remove drivers and start optimistic reinstalling all...

No resoult... still freezing NUC

Maybe you can provode me a software with latest drivers... this freezing problem was solved with drivers from 5.1.2021

But when i reinstall new drivers computer works but not with both screens
0 Kudos
JayDee
New Contributor I
So i try to install Radeon control panel and i got only installation from 2019. Installation was makeing progres so the screens go black and when turn on back it turns on both screens... so it wass progres... but second from there the NUC freezes... now is freezing every time i restart...

I went to safe mode by this command
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network
And remove drivers and start optimistic reinstalling all...

No resoult... still freezing NUC

Maybe you can provode me a software with latest drivers... this freezing problem was solved with drivers from 5.1.2021

But when i reinstall new drivers computer works but not with both screens

Working drivers:
Gfx_win10_27.20.100.8681
But just to be shure...
Now in device manager by graphic tab is this:
Intel HD graphics 630
Driver from 5.9.2020

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Driver from 21.6.2006
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You can be running any version of the Intel HD Graphics driver, but the AMD Radeon HD Graphics driver needs to be the 20. 2.2 release that Intel supports (there are ways to upgrade to newer versions, but let's stick with this "supported" version for now). You can download this version from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-2.

Now, as for the AMD Radeon Software app, unless you specifically deselect it, it is going to be installed with any version of the driver package. It is accessed by right-clicking on the display and selecting the entry for it in (at the top of) the context menu.

I have two monitors connected to the two HDMI ports on my HV, one 4K TV and one 3K monitor (no, that's not a typo, it really is a 3K monitor), and I see them both working without issue. Just to be sure, I connected these monitors to a second unit and they continue to be supported just fine.

...S

0 Kudos
JayDee
New Contributor I
Ok if i understand...

I remove both graphic devices in device manager with drivers and restart pc
I install igfx_win10_100.9168

Than i install the AMD Adrenaline package v20.2.2

But in my case... if i dowbload mini pack for auto detection it gives me error code 182 that means no supported device

And allso try to just instal 20.2.2 package... it start the installing process but frst time that screen blinks it stay black
After hard reset it comes to windows for 15s and freezes

If i go to device manager and manualy update drivers without Adrenaline software install it start to update drivers and same stori... first blink it stay black screen... after hard reset it freezes in 15s
0 Kudos
JayDee
New Contributor I
Now i restore pc to first point existing... run AMD autodetect and gave me back same error that can't be find supported devices
Allso try to install Adrenaline 20.2.2 and i got black screen... after hard reset it freezes....
0 Kudos
JayDee
New Contributor I
I am now suspocious... first nuc died in 30minutes... i got new one... but maybe is the same just they change the serial nuber?

Is there any other support from INTEL? Like service fabric team or something?

This is problem from begining... if i send the device to service again my company will stop for 30days becouse this pc have basic program that run my company...

Can i contact fabric or anyone else? I really dont have any new idea...
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Ronny_G_Intel/@Chris_V_Intel, please have someone assigned to this issue.

...S

0 Kudos
JayDee
New Contributor I
Jupey! So after 2 months of trubles... here is fresh news... i send this NUC8i7HNK to service company and after 1 week they find the problem was in memory unit... strange i newer find any of problems... NUC showed mee full ram capacity and newer show any errors about ram memory units... but they sad that had a problem with memory units and after removal one of it it started to work normaly... so i just have to send memory unit to other service company and hope all comes to ending of this 2 month problems.

Thanks for your responses and answers to my problems for thin NUC8i7HNK and for all advices that you shared with me.

Big thanks

I will let you know if all is o.k. with new second ram unit
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you test the DRAM when you put the system together? One should always test memory accesses from a new system or a system whose DRAM is replaced. I always run MemTest86 (or MemTest86+, but that's off the table for now (forever?) now that (unsecure) Legacy Boot support is being depreciated) for a full 24 hours when I put a new system together. I consider this part of my burn-in of the system.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos