Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

Old Graphic card broke - expert advice needed - MSI GeForce GTX 660

DWild5
Beginner

Hi all!

Context:

After powering up my PC, the classic "NO SIGNAL" on my monitor appeared. Changed the graphic card with the one on the motherboard to see if that is the problem, and it was (*Deep Morgan Freeman Voice*)

My question to you is:

Is there a good test to see if my Graphic Card is actually dead or maybe it's just a driver that was not OK, or maybe the HDMI port is broken or whatever...

if not

What Graphic card do you recommend for the following configuration running Windows 10 64 bit:

Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 660 Twin Frozr III OC, 2GB, GDDR5, 192bit, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, PCI-E 3.0

Procesor Intel Core i5-3470, LGA 1155 (H2), 22nm, 77W, 6MB (BOX)

DVD-Writer Lite-On IT IHAS122-18, SATA

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H, Intel B75, LGA1155

Power Suply Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze, 620W

Memorii Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, 2x4GB, 1600MHz

Solid State Drive (SSD) Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB, 2.5", SATA III

HDD Desktop Western Digital Caviar Blue KX, 500GB, SATA III 600, 16MB Buffer

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to ask nvidia or the graphic card manufacturer your questions.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Was this the first time that you powered on this PC with this GFX card installed or had this combination worked together previously?

If this was the first time trying it, I would say the GFX card is either incompatible or broken. You can try the different connectors on the card to see if it is an issue with the HDMI connector. If this doesn't work, without another GFX card to try, I do not know what you can do to figure out whether the card or the motherboard is at fault.

If this was a combination that worked together previously, then we are dealing with something being broken. Similar to the other case, you can try the different connectors on the card to see if it is an issue with the HDMI connector. If this doesn't work, without another GFX card to try, I do not know what you can do to figure out whether the card or the motherboard is at fault.

From a compatibility standpoint, Al is correct; the BIOS is unique and only the motherboard vendor is going to be able to address any compatibility questions (though they often have a file listing compatible cards). What I can say is that I have used a MSI GTX 750ti card with much older (5 Series, in fact) Intel Desktop Boards.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @DWild5

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. We hope that the assistance provided by the community has been helpful. 

Also, we would like to inform you that due to the Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor has been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html  

You can verify this product's discontinuance status at the following links:

http://ark.intel.com/ > Product Status > "Discontinued".

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/68316/intel-core-i5-3470-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards, 

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos