Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

OpenGL 1.3

JGrim4
Beginner

Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong section but just need advice.

Just bought a second hand computer for a project I'm doing, needed something with a bit more memory etc. Only problem is when I try to open the program I get an error message saying that the application requires OpenGL 1.3 but my machine only provides OpenGL 1.1.

I've checked for updates but unfortunately it's telling me that I'm up to date.

I'm not very tech savy but under Graphics is this:Intel (R) G41 Express Chipset

The computer itself isn't new or even close to it but the details of it are: Pentim (R) Dual Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80 Ghz

Really hoping this is an easy fix, it's literally the only reason I bough the computer.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Your rig supports even OpenGL 2.0 according to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005524/graphics-drivers.html Supported APIs and Features for Intel® Graphics Drivers

OpenGL 1.1 means you are using the Microsoft basic display adapter.

You need to install a graphics driver.

Get it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81517/Graphics-Drivers-for-Intel-G41-Express-Chipset Downloads for Graphics Drivers for Intel® G41 Express Chipset

0 Kudos
JGrim4
Beginner

I downloaded what you sent, an alert came up to say that the driver I had was newer than that I was downloading, tried it anyway but unfortunately having the same issue. Had a look at the website you sent and sure enough, it's saying I should be able to run OpenGL 2.0. Really have no idea how to fix this 😕

0 Kudos
JGrim4
Beginner

I should probably add that I'm using Win10 if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately Intel does not support your legacy GPU under Windows 10.

There is only a compatibility driver from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=8.15.10.2702 Microsoft Update Catalog

0 Kudos
JGrim4
Beginner

Is there anything I can do or will nothing work?

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Best choice would be to downgrade to Windows 7

0 Kudos
JGrim4
Beginner

I bought the computer with Win10 on it, I assume I'll have to buy Windows 7?

Thanks for the answers btw

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You purchased a computer with a G41 chipset, which is 10 years old. The seller did not do you any favors, and I would definitely take him/her off of your holiday card list.

Look way, way down this page under "legacy"

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

And, just to make things worse, your processor is not supported under Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
JGrim4
Beginner

Yeah I'm definitely considering it lol have to blame myself though, should have sorted this all out first.

Is there any point in trying to downgrade to Win7 or is it a waste of time?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If this is a desktop, then maybe.

However, if you have an available PCIe x16 slot, you MIGHT be able to find a COMPATIBLE add-on card (emphasis on might and compatible), that will give you the graphics you need. Be careful selecting a card. I have nothing against AMD, but their cards seem to have a lot more trouble with backward compatibility than nvidia cards. Note that your old machine is PCIe 2.0, and new graphics cards will be PCIe 3.0 (and claim backward compatibility). And, if successful, you can likely continue to run Windows 10 (until microsoft decides to pull the plug).

If you are a laptop, time to do some shopping for a new/newer machine.

Just an opinion.

Doc

0 Kudos
PLiv
New Contributor II

The downgrade to Windows 7 allows the OpenGL driver to load because it no longer gets confused. With old Intel hardware on Windows 10 if a program declares Windows 10 compatibility the OpenGL driver exits due Windows version check failing internally. It is possible to workaround. If you want to workaround it open an issue ticket here: https://github.com/pal1000/save-legacy-intel-opengl GitHub - pal1000/save-legacy-intel-opengl

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, you will still be unsupported on Windows 10. Your's is not a solution, but a hack.

Doc

0 Kudos
JGrim4
Beginner

might that idea work though? I don't need the computer for anything other than one program so I'm not too worried about long term problems or anything.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I have no idea, as your system is UNSUPPORTED.

Doc

0 Kudos
JGrim4
Beginner

I'm not too sure what the majority of that means lol do I just follow the video at the bottom of that page?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Since this is not supported here, take your discussion over there (github). Then, the provider of that hack can help you.

Doc

0 Kudos