Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Pink and green horizontal lines on the top of the screen with the screen freezing up.

DPC001
Beginner

A few days ago suddenly my laptop screen started freezing up.It freezes intermittently say for 5 seconds and then is okay on its own.Then within a minute this repeats.Simultaneously I have pink and green horizontal lines flashing on the top of my screen while this freezing is going on.

My screen is completely the same as it was before.No BSOD (blue screen) except for being freezed up for a few seconds with these lines on the top.

What I have noticed -

1. While freezing the screen changes from being smooth to that of a very fine pixel grid.It then again smoothens when the screen unfreezes back.
  2. This intermittent flashing of horizontal green and pink lines occurs in the safe mode restart of the PC and the boot menu as well.
  3. What I have noticed about this freezing is that this only freezes the display but not the actual memory of the PC.Say if a video is running at 1:05 and my display freezes then after unfreezing it doesn't start back from 1:05 instead it does from 1:10.Which suggests that it is a Display Problem
  4. Sometimes, the screen goes opaque intermittently with lots of horizontal pink and green lines filling up almost the entire screen except for a few white spaces between them.It occurs for say 4 seconds and then again the display is okay except for the earlier mentioned freezing.

What I have tried but didn't help -

• System Restore to an earlier date when it used to work fine
  • Uninstalling my Display Driver and Reinstalling it
  • Completely uninstalling my Display Driver its running on the Microsoft basic display adapter)
  • I have also looked up this on the web but couldn't find any definite/working solution.

PS: I have Dell Inspiron 5558 Windows 10 OS with Intel Core processor.My Graphic Driver is (was) Intel's latest driver for Windows PC.

Can anyone tell me what is actually the problem ? Hardware or Software ? How can I fix this ? At least, can anyone help me find the trigger/cause ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
DPC001
Beginner

Here is it.I had just updated the Display driver this time from Intel website instead of Dell.The display worked completely fine for the last week.No freezing or Lines flashing.I thought it was fixed.Last night , it once AGAIN started freezing and flashing these lines.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

So could you figure out the trigger ?

0 Kudos
jhold7
Beginner

hi

Graphics:Screen Freezing with pink and green horizontal lines on the top.

A few days ago suddenly my laptop screen started freezing up.It freezes intermittently say for 5 seconds and then is okay on its own.Then within a minute this repeats.Simultaneously I have pink and green horizontal lines flashing on the top of my screen while this freezing is going on.

My screen is completely the same as it was before.No BSOD (blue screen) except for being freezed up for a few seconds with these lines on the top.

What I have noticed -

1. While freezing the screen changes from being smooth to that of a very fine pixel grid.It then again smoothens when the screen unfreezes back.
  2. This intermittent flashing of horizontal green and pink lines occurs in the safe mode restart of the PC and the boot menu as well.
  3. What I have noticed about this freezing is that this only freezes the display but not the actual memory of the PC.Say if a video is running at 1:05 and my display freezes then after unfreezing it doesn't start back from 1:05 instead it does from 1:10.Which suggests that it is a Display Problem
  4. Sometimes, the screen goes opaque intermittently with lots of horizontal pink and green lines filling up almost the entire screen except for a few white spaces between them.It occurs for say 4 seconds and then again the display is okay except for the earlier mentioned freezing.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@jhold7​ You just answered th OPs question with his question.

Doc

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DPC001, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the issue with the laptop getting freeze and showing green horizontal lines still persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DPC001, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos