Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20456 Discussions

Possible problem with UHD 630

RHood1
Novice

Spec:-
H310M S2V 2.0 (1.0) mainboard (BIOS 13a) 
Intel UHD graphics 630 (using driver on CD and latest from Gigabyte's website 27.20.100.8280)
Core i9-9900
Win 10 64-bit 1909
16GB RAM (Crucial CT16G4DFD8266.16FJ1)

System was freezing so performed a fresh, clean installation of Windows 10. Still getting random freezes resulting in the need for hard power off. Often freezes as I resize a window.

Reproducible on different hard disks and also using Kingston RAM. All RAM modules used are stated as being compatible by Kingston/Crucial. Memtest diagnostics reveal no problems with any of the modules.

Installed a discrete graphics card and system has been stable for nearly two days.

Any known driver or hardware compatibility problems likely to be causing this?

0 Kudos
27 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

You may try the latest Intel Graphics DCH Driver Version: 27.20.100.8336

Leon

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

Hi Leon,

thanks for the reply.

I've looked at other threads here regarding UHD 630 but...

1. They all say to use the mainboard manufacturer's driver rather than Intel generic (though I will concede that that they at least follow the same version number convention).

2. I had already looked at that generic driver's support/download page and the readme does not mention a fix that relates to my problems, which exhibit with the immediately preceding driver release.

What would the recommendation be if I came back after trying that driver and reported that the problem persists?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Are you using the same video cable when connected to the discrete graphics card and the Intel Integrated Graphics?

Leon

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

As it happens not exactly, though I'm not sure how a cable could cause a system to freeze (with the desktop visible).

Integrated graphics was DVI (through a DVI KVM switch port 3).

Discrete graphics is VGA (through a VGA KVM switch to the same DVI KVM switch port 4).

So basically there is a common cable to the screen in both cases (DVI).

In any event, I am looking at this for my customer that has the same problem with a different screen and cable (but also DVI).

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. I saw already problems caused by DP cable.  It may happen if you have DP cable with wired pin 20

2. Can you try to see if the problem occurs if you connect your monitor with other cable, for example HDMI, without using any KVM switch between?

Leon

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

As reported, my customer is using a direct DVI cable connection (no KVM) and has the problem at their site. Display port has never been in use (assuming that's what you mean by DP), either in my workshop or at the customer's site.

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

The latest generic Intel driver still results in freezes. Tried a more powerful PSU too - still freezes

IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RHood1,

If you are still experiencing the issue reported, we would like to jump in to provide more recommendations.

• What is the resolution and refresh rate the display connected to the onboard graphics is using when freezing occurs?
  • With the display connected to the motherboard, please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers.
  1. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

• Also, please generate a DxDiag* report
  1. Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R.
  2. On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK.
  3. On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information.
  4. Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

Thanks for the reply.

The problem doesn't require too much hard work to trigger. Resizing a window seems to be the most likely way to make it happen though it is by no means guaranteed to trigger the fault and other things can also trigger it.

I tested the clean Windows installation with a new graphics card and for a day and a half I was unable to make the fault happen. The customer's original disks (and therefore Windows installation) are now back in and booted up with the new card and has similarly been stable for nearly two days.

I am guessing that neither of the reports are meaningful unless generated whilst UHD 630 is in use?

I will be assuming the unit is stable if I cannot provoke it into freezing for another day, at which time I can remove the discrete graphics card, revert to UHD 630 and get the information you require.

At that point, the customer could get their PC back, however I can retain it for further diagnosis if you think it would be worth it. However, I cannot retain possession indefinitely.

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

Files attached

1920x1080 @ 60Hz on two different displays.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would like to see more information about your system; the DXDiags and EDID reports aren't enough. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and have it save the report to a file. Then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Historically, we have always told people to stick with the drivers from their manufacturer. Fact is, the big manufacturers have all screwed up so much and left so many customers hanging, by not updating drivers and because of poor warranties, etc.

[Aside: Laptop warranties are simply a crime! Do your part to fix this situation; do not purchase any laptop that doesn't come with a minimum 3 year hardware warranty and a solid commitment to provide BIOS and driver updates (including for emerging O/S releases and versions) for a minimum of 6 years. Remember too that you are paying them for your warranty and they should be providing this support. It is NOT acceptable for them to be foisting you off on Intel or AMD or NVIDIA; they are who warranted your system and they are responsible for your support. By letting them get away with this, you are letting them pocket the money that you paid them for your warranty without their ever earning it.]

Ok, off my soapbox. Where was I? Oh yea...

Intel gave up on the manufacturers not updating their customers, especially not updating graphics drivers. They reworked their drivers so that, if you install an update from Intel, it does not wipe out the customizations the manufacturer might have included. Bottom line, you *do* want to install the latest driver updates from Intel. As for checking the release notes, grow up; no one provides detailed release notes any more; that would be exposing their dirty laundry (heaven forbid).

Sorry, I am in a mood today,

...S

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

Grow up? You ask me to do this without any knowledge of my experience? "Sorry I am in a mood today" does not excuse such rudeness (and unwarranted rudeness at that). Notwithstanding that I will provide the information requested. I will upload in a short while.

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

The previous info was obtained with the PC booted from my customer's disk. This info was obtained with the PC booted from my clean Windows (and Office) installation.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RHood1,

We would like to jump in and provide some recommendations.

• Based on the motherboard specifications, freezing may be happening due to the Dual link DVI connection it supports. For testing purposes, have you tried using other resolutions?
  • Does the freezing occur if you use another video output?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I can confirm that it didn't take long to trigger a freeze (by resizing a window) when using VGA output.

Using lower resolution is not really a solution and certainly would not be acceptable to my customer. 1920x1080 is pretty much standard these days and any hardware/driver combination really should cope. Is there even any diagnostic merit in trying lower res? I'll update in due course. If lower res is OK it will be several days before I believe it. If lower res still gets freezes I'll let you know as soon as it happens.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello,

I would like to jump in and help if that is ok.

It seems to me there is a possibility the CPU/iGPU might be defective. Try running a GPU stress application and also the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool

Obviously if you have the possibility of swapping the processor give it a shot as well just to rule out further hardware failure.

Do you experience any freeze if you switch to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" for the iGPU?

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

I have run a general, multi-function stress tester, many times. On no occasion did it make the PC freeze. Most times it only freezes when I resize a window, but occasionally for other reasons. I have given up trying to make it happen by any method other than resizing as it is almost guaranteed to cause a freeze if I keep going back and trying.

Running IPDT...

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

IPDT has been run many times at 1920x1080 and at 1680x1050 and passed 100% each time.

On and off (mostly on) whilst at the lower resolution I have been unable to trigger a freeze. However, this is not without precedent. Sometimes it can go a couple of days without freezing.

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

It is probable, though not certain, that the fault does not manifest at the lower res of 1680x1050. Just over 2 days without being able to trigger a freeze.

Now trying with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter at 1920x1080...

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RHood1,

Thank you for the update. 

Feel free to post an update about the Microsoft* Basic Display Adapter driver.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos