Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Problem with my i7-9700k

Gio
Beginner
Hi, I have a problem with my CPU. In September I assembled a pc with:
CPU: i7 9700K
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B365-G GAMING
Video Card: MSI GTX 1660 X 6 G.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance lpx 16 G (8x2) 3000 MHz
1T SSD
and an arctic air cooler.
The pc worked and never gave me any problems.
In December I added another 16 G (8x2) of ram (HyperX Fury) which I fooled around to take them from 2666 MHz thinking that there would be no problems also because the motherboard as a frequency reaches a maximum of 2666 MHz for RAM. And I changed the cooler with a liquid one, the Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX. I also moved the GPU one slot lower for convenience. I turned on and everything worked, I found a softwere for the ram and I set all the RGB. From the next day I started to notice this problem: a "rest" the CPU has a frequency of 4.5 GHz while if I start a game or heavy programs the frequency of all the CPU cores drops to 0.8 GHz and consequently slowing down the processes a lot. Before having these problems I had never touched the BIOS except to increase the RAM frequency. The strange thing is that if I change any BIOS setting (for example I put the RAM frequency from 2666 MHZ to 2600) I start the PC and everything works correctly then I turn off the PC and turn off the power and once turned on problem. I tried to remove the HyperX RAM and leave the privateer that could be the problem but it isn't. I have no idea what the problem may be as I have never even tried to overclock the processor.
I am attaching a photo with the pc without heavy processes and one with. I really hope you can help me because I have been scrambling to try to figure out what the problem may be and I can't give me an answer, Thanks in advance.Screenshot (340).pngScreenshot (341).png
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gio, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Please provide the outcome of the following:: 

• 1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:   
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".    
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".    
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".    
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).   

2. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.  

3. Run the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and send us a screenshot of the frequencies and temperatures while running this tool. 

4. Remove the new RAM sticks that were recently added, is the issue still occurring? 

• If yes, load BIOS defaults, add the new RAM, and remove the Corsair. Check with Asus* for help on this.  
  • If not, then the issue is with the new RAM sticks you added.  

5. As a general recommendation, according to the motherboard manufacturer's manual, the video card should be installed only on the top PCI-E slot to get maximum bandwidth when using a single GPU, check that here on page 1-8: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_STRIX_B365-G_GAMING/E15361_ROG_STRIX_B365-G_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner

Intel System Support Utility

0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner
0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner

4. I have already removed the new rams but the problem persists. Later I will try to do as you say.
5. Yes, I know. I understood my mistake and moved it to the upper PCI-E slot.

P.S. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gio,  

Thank you for your reply. 

Based on those reports I have some more recommendations: 

1. Please let us know how it goes after setting BIOS to its defaults. 
  2. Additionally, verify in BIOS if Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology (or similar) is enabled. Test by disabling it because this technology can lower the CPU frequency. 
  3. Update the BIOS to the latest version available, check with Asus for help on this: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b365-g-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/ 
  4. Update the Operating System (OS) to the latest version available, check the Microsoft's recommendations: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/update-windows-10-3c5ae7fc-9fb6-9af1-1984-b5e0412c556a  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner
OK thanks.
I have already updated the bios.
Today I will take a look at these things you said to me, and I will also try to try yesterday's advice for the ram although; I fear that maybe they are not the ones to have a malfunction.
Thanks again, I'll keep you updated.
0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner

Ok, is so strange. When, after start, i change any BIOS's option the PC run well. But if I close the PC and after this i open it i have problem with cpu frequency.

After setting BIOS to its defaults, th pc is ok but after close the PC....

I disable Intel SpeedStep® Technology and is the same.

And i update the Operating System with no results.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gio,   

Thanks for the update. 

Can you please confirm what do you mean by closing the PC? Does it mean you turn it off? If yes, can you please specify how do you turn it off? Is it using the Windows start, the power button of your PC, disconnecting the power supply, etc? 

Does it also happen if you restart the PC or press and hold the power button?  

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner

Yes, I mean turn it off. I usually turn it off using the Windows start.
If I restart the PC, it run well but if I press and hold the power button I have problem with frequency.

Is possible that is a problem of BIOS buffer battery? And I have to change it?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gio,    

Thank you for your response. 

After you set BIOS defaults and/or decrease memory speed, then turn off/restart the PC, do you see any changes back on the BIOS? I.e. memory speed increasing back, some settings being enabled/disabled back, etc. If this is the case, it can be the CMOS battery as you mentioned; you may want to check with the motherboard manufacturer so you can clear the CMOS battery or see if you can replace it. 

On the other hand, I believe the best approach will be (if possible) testing this CPU in another compatible motherboard or testing another compatible CPU with this motherboard. Based on the outcome you can tell if the defective component is the processor or the board.  

Regards,    

Sebastian M     

0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner

I don't see any changes back on the BIOS.

For example if i change the DRAM frequency and  after, when i return in the BIOS the frequency is the frequency is as I had set it.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gio,     

As the BIOS settings remain after a change, then it does not seem to be a CMOS issue; however, we cannot discard this yet.  

In that case, the best approach will be the test I mentioned before:  testing this CPU in another compatible motherboard or testing another compatible CPU with your motherboard. 

Regards,     

Sebastian M      

0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner

Ehm ok, but i haven't the possibility of change the CPU or the Motherboard.

0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner

Ok, it's possible that i have the solution. When i upgrade the pc it run well, but i want to have the rgb of the ram synchronized with the others. So I use Armoury Crate and fot the occasion i instal some new driver. Then i turn off the pc and the day later the problems start. I think that this driver is the problem. 

I haven't uninstalled them yet, I'm waiting for your response to know what you think. 

Goodbye, Gio.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gio,      

Thanks for your response.  

In this case, I believe it's worth a try to revert the changes made before the issue started. You may uninstall those drivers and installing the latest updates provided by Asus. 

Please let me know about the outcome.  

Regards,      

Sebastian M       

0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner

Ok, now the PC run well. In these days I will see if it still gives me problems, I will not finish the discussion yet in case you go back to having problems but if I have nothing to report during the next week I will finish it. Thanks fo all, Gio.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gio,       

We will be looking forward to hearing back from you, feel free to post once you have an update to share.  

Regards,       

Sebastian M        

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gio,  

Do you have an update on this by any chance? Feel free to let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Gio
Beginner

Thank you very much, these days the pc has not given me any problems so I can say that it was a driver downloaded from Armory Crate that was giving problems. I would consider the discussion over, thank you very much for your support if I still have problems I will contact you. Goodbye, Gio.

0 Kudos