Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Quantisation Range - Full/Limited - with non HDMI connections

Eugene7
Beginner

I am using a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3, which uses a USB Type-C connector for external displays.

The Intel Graphics Command Centre provides no ability to see the signal range in use - Full/Limited - or any way to actually set it.

A search reveals:

With the most recent drivers (xx.xx.100.xxxx and newer), this option will only be visible if the video output on your computer is native HDMI. Using a DisplayPort (DP) video output or adapters such as DP-to-HDMI or USB Type-C to-HDMI will cause the option to disappear.

With the external display I am presently testing, the signal from the laptop is clipping, as it seems to be sending Full Range to a TV that expected Limited.

How am I supposed to manage this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Eugene7,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the Intel® SSU report and the Intel* Graphics Command Center report to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Eugene7
Beginner
All I need is an answer to my queation.

There is no need for any SSU report, as the question has nothing to do with any specific attached display, or system configuration.

It is entirely down to the inability to set Limited/Full range (quantisation) for the Intel graphics chip set, when a non-HDMI connector is in use.

That is all that matters - nothing else
0 Kudos
Eugene7
Beginner

Let me ask the question slightly differently, as that may help...

When the connection from the PC is NOT a direct HDMI connection (so the connector is DP, USB-C, etc), how does the Intel Graphics Chip Set decide what the output signal range should be - Full or Limited?

Please be precise, and explain exactly what defines the output range.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Eugene7,

In this case, since you are using a customized system from a different vendor there are other specs we have to review.

However, with your specific question, I will proceed to check the thread internally so we can provide you the most accurate support.

Please expect an update soon.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Eugene7,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

The answer is yes, you will need a native HDMI* output, the output signal is not decided by the Intel graphics, it is handled by the Original Equipment Manufacturer design, motherboard, and Operating System.

To get that specific information, our best advice is to contact Microsoft* directly and ask for your system specs and design.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,
Maria R.

0 Kudos