Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20454 Discussions

Radeon RX Vega M GL driver update fails (Intel Core i7-8795G) con't

TechmeQs
Beginner

Using Windows 11, latest updates,

After following instructions from a previous thread , I was able to install the graphics driver. However, this method does not update the actual Radeon Software app.

>The issue is the app launches multiple copies of itself. 

When i try to install the update from the intel website, I receive the error message in the screen shot. 

My PC OEM manufacturer (HP) instructs to use the intel software, as they have stopped providing updates to this graphics chip back in 2019. 

My second issue is the red number one update notification that appears over the Intel Driver and Support assistant icon in taskbar menu. 

Further, I've been experiencing system crashes lately while using graphics heavy apps and i suspect this discrepancy may be to blame. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
46 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello TechmeQs,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Based on our release notes for the driver version 30.0.13037.4001, it states that the driver package contains improvements update on AMD Radeon Software for user experience. So we want to confirm if you follow the driver installation steps provided on the previous thread you visited:

• Download and save the .zip file from Download Center: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19282/radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics.html
  • Go to where the .zip file is saved and unzip it.
  • Open the Device Manager:
    • Windows 11*/10*: Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.
  • Expand the Display adapters section.
  • Right-click the Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics.
  • Select Update driver.
  • Click Browse my computer for driver software.
  • Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  • Click Have Disk.
  • Click Browse. Select the location where the driver files are located. The target .inf can be found within the driver folder in Packages > Drivers > Display > WT6A_INF > U0374970.inf
  • Click Next. Drivers are being installed.
  • Reboot the computer when prompted.

However, you must consider that using the Have-Disk method bypasses the installer designed to install the drivers, thereby possibly resulting in minor to catastrophic issues on your system and system instability. We recommend only using the Installer (.exe).

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

Hello Jean O., 

Some background: when the update was first released, i experienced the same issues as user FIRDAUS posted about in the thread i linked to above.

I followed the instructions in that thread, which led to being able to install just the graphics portion of the driver, using the method as you outlined in your instructions from your last post above. "Click Browse. Select the location where the driver files are located. The target .inf can be found within the driver folder in Packages > Drivers > Display > WT6A_INF > U0374970.inf" 

This solution seems to no longer work as properly, because my system crashes using graphics intensive applications. Sometimes i can notice the memory issues and close the program before the system crashes. Then i notice the Radeon Software app has duplicated itself, sometimes multiple times. 

So I tried to install the graphics update using Intel Driver and Support assistant and using the download and run the executable install file methods. This install fails both ways, and results in the failure message that I screenshot and attached to my original post. 

Thank You

I want to edit to clarify that yes i used the have disk method to install just the graphics driver portion, but i want to reiterate that the Radeon Graphics app itself, because the Intel Driver and Support assistant retains a red number one alert indicating the driver needs to be updated. 

I've attached screenshots of the drivers listed in the Radeon Software App. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello TechmeQs,

Thank you for the information and background you provided.  

I will proceed to investigate this issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

I just notice an error in the title of this thread.

My system has installed, and my issue is with, the intel i7-8705G not i7-8795G.

Aside from that, the NUK drivers do not seem to function properly on this system. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What is the complete model number of your NUC?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

i don't have a nuc... that's why the nuc drivers don't work on my machine. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Then, why are you trying "NUC" drivers?

Provide the model number of your system/motherboard.

Have you tried the drivers provided by the system/motherboard manufacturer?

Have you updated their bios?

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

I've provided system information below. I tried the NUC driver's at one point as a test, because this CPU / GPU combo chip was released in a NUC machine at retail at one point. I attempted this test out of curiosity when the proper driver updates failed. (This latest radeon graphiccs driver for the intel i7-8705G was released in december 2021, btw, so there's been plenty of time for me to try to find a solution on my own.)

My bios is updated with the latest release from HP. 

HP does not provide updated graphics drivers for this CPU/GPU combo chip. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello TechmeQs,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

To continue with my investigation, I want to confirm some information:

• What are the apps crashing? Do we have any errors on the apps crashing? by crashing, do you mean that error messages are popping up?
  • Can you provide me with a video showing the crashing problems and app issues?
  • You previously mentioned that your system's manufacturer was HP; however, you stated that you are using Nuc drivers. Could you try to create a report using the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU)? It will provide us with the model of your system as well as other environmental information such as the Operating System and drivers versions:

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

STEAM and Chrome have been randomly freezing up my machine. No i/o input recognized when they freeze. Requires hard reboot by holding power button. It's unclear if this is a memory spike issue, or a graphics issue. It's not a networking speed issue. 

Sorry for all the confusion my typos are causing. I am not using the NUC drivers. I've attached the intel SSU scan as requested. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Use BOTH the intel and amd drivers as provided by HP, not the intel generic driver.  If you still have problems after installing both HP drivers, contact HP for support.

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

As i wrote, HP does not provide these drivers

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

To clarify, 

As you can see from the screen shot attached, the last driver update HP provided was 2018. This version no longer works with the rest of the windows, intel, and 3rd party app updates that have been released since then. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Then your problem is with HP.   Contact them for a solution.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

HP provided the original drivers for your device.  I am not talking about updated drivers.

Use both original drivers as provided by HP.  I just checked, and BOTH are there.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-ch000-x360-convertible-pc/16779588

Also, HP does not support W11 on your device.

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

My friend, i think you have gotten off topic. 

I don't have an issue installing HP drivers.

My issue is with installing the radeon software driver updates Intel released for this chip. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, not off topic.   HP is responsible for support of your device, not Intel.  

Additionally, your processor is no longer supported.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/130411/intel-core-i78705g-processor-with-radeon-rx-vega-m-gl-graphics-8m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

The intel update i'm referring to was released in December 2021, see screenshot attached. This update was faulty from its initial release. There are other threads documenting this fault besides my own. I even linked to one in my initial post. 

The page you sent shows the manufacturing of the chip is now discontinued, but it does not say support has. Your profile indicates you are not an Intel employee, so how would you come to know about the support schedule? 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello TechmeQs,

I want to clarify something. Your processor is discontinued, but the support is still active. However, after that, all the recommendations provided are correct.

Installing drivers developed for another product will not work or may cause stability issues with your system. Nuc drivers are polished to work in that specific model/family, and your system Manufacturer should provide you with new driver versions. You should know that we recommend using the drivers provided by the system manufacturer (OEM) since they are customized to work with each system. Installing this Intel generic graphics driver will overwrite any customized driver from your Computer Manufacturer (OEM). 

To void the possibility of corrupted files affecting your system performance since you install drivers from another device. I would recommend a clean installation of the graphics drivers; installing the latest driver from the OEM; it may be old, but the driver is the last one created based on your system needs.

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer (23.20.792.1280): https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-ch000-x360-convertible-pc/16779588

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters that the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 

2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded in step 1 Restart the computer. 

Reconnect to the Internet. 

As well, your system manufacturer has not validated Windows 11 operating system. Your system may not be capable of running this OS, and you can encounter some issues when using an unvalidated Operating System (OS). The System OEM is the only entity that can confirm if your system can run this OS.

Again, @AlHill suggestions are valid based on the information you have provided. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos