Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Resized Windows Resetting Size & Position By Themselves

MJone10
New Contributor I

Hi, If i resize my browser window or windows explorer then after a few days of using my computer and putting it to sleep when not in use, sometimes my resized windows reset to default size and i lose my custom resize.

This never happened with my nvidia card, but once i sold it and used the intel onboard graphics i experienced this issue.

I have tried updating my drivers and reinstalling windows but still experience the same issue.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No - and it *does* happen with my NVIDIA 1060 card as well. I curse it regularly.

...S

0 Kudos
Usid
Beginner

Same problem with Iris 650

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, this issue has been around since at least the 4th generation processors and affects practically everything since. I first saw this occur with one of the 4th generation NUCs and I complained to (ok, whined at) the NUC team over and over (I was part of that team right up until my retirement date 😇 ) - but then I saw the same issue happening on my NVIDIA-based Desktop system and I gave up. They were all blaming this on a design issue in Windows. Some workarounds have been implemented, but none have been bulletproof.

...S

0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

Strange, I never noticed this issue with my 1050ti.

You mention workarounds, are these things we can do?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Were you on a 4K monitor? In my case, I have the double whammy, 4K monitor and KVM.

No, I was talking about workarounds in the driver, unfortunately.

...S

0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

I have 1080p monitor.

0 Kudos
Usid
Beginner

¿RestoreWindows and PersistentWindows?

Original thread:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/102871?start=45&tstart=0

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Reposting my response is unnecessary.

...S

0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

This issue has happened to me a few times again since i made my first post.

It's as @Usid posted, where the windows resize to a smaller size and bunch up in the top left corner (https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490AdNSAU/nuc6i7kyk-display-sleep-windows-shrink-amp-migrate-to-upperleft-corner-of-display?start=45&tstart=0)

I have posted about this issue on the Microsoft forum, so i'm hoping someone from MS can help sort this out.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/resized-window-resizing-by-itself/996e7279-2265-4ad2-9a18-d5a1852e2adb?tm=1546813657063

Not sure if intel staff help with support here?

0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

Hey guys, so i have heard back from a MS support member Hopefully we can get this issue reported and sorted.

Please feel free to add your comments/experiences to that thread so MS can gather as much info as possible:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/resized-window-resizing-by-itself/996e7279-2265-4ad2-9a18-d5a1852e2adb?messageId=91eac329-d181-4a76-8c3c-c8aa89453004

Thanks

0 Kudos
DKirkland
Novice

Has there been any resolution to this issue? I'm experiencing the same issues with the UHD 630 and using the latest driver (27.20.100.8587). This occurs on both VGA and HDMI.

0 Kudos
DKirkland
Novice

Here's a copy of a post I had elsewhere:

As far as I can tell, the problem is that  after waking up wither Windows or the driver (I don't know which) doesn't recognize the previous configuration, so it creates a new one in the registry with a different screen size - this results in the windows being resized and repositioned in order to fit. Here's the work around that I've worked out. Essentially you need to copy the desired configuration in the registry over to the one Windows decides to use after it wakes up from sleep.

So I deleted all the registry subentries under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration  - this creates a blank slate. Set your default resolution i.e. the one you want.  Windows should create an entry - In my case it starts with ACR0011LAZ09 - which is for my ACER monitor.

You now have to wait for the machine to sleep and resize/reposition the windows. As soon as that happens go back into the registry. You should now see another entry under the configuration key. This will likely be something like NOEDID_xxxx.

I then copy all the subentries under the ACR0011LAZ09 key to the NOEDID_xxxx.  The default registry editor doesn't  allow you to copy entries, so I had to export and import the entries I wanted.

So now after waking up from sleep, it will use the configuration in NOEDID_xxx, but this is now the same as what you had before, so then configuration is compatible and it shouldn't resize/reposition the windows.

Hope that helps.

Note: If connect a bunch of different monitors to your computer, then I'm not sure this solution will work for you.

0 Kudos