Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Resolution scaling - 2-to-1 ratio still resulting in fuzzy text

IowaNav
Beginner

I'm still getting used to my new laptop with an i7-1185g7 and Iris Xe graphics. Unfortunately, the only one available will less than a 2 month shipping delay was equipped with a 4k (3840 x 2400) display, which I despise.

It's not that 4k is bad on it's own. It's bad when all of your peripheral displays are 1080, like mine are. I'm constantly plugging into projectors (I'm a professor), my office has 1080 monitors, I've got a 1080 monitor at home, etc. etc.

I thought the solution would be simple: run my display at half it's native resolution, so that it's a clean 2:1 pixel scaling - no need for interpolation. With my laptop at 1920x1200, I figured I could keep DPI scaling at 100% and avoid the DPI scaling nightmares in Windows. 

But it won't do it. It'll run at half-native resolution, but everything is fuzzy around the edges, which makes no sense to me. On older Intel graphics, I would have turned off CMAA, but that's no longer in the control panel. I tried turning on the 'retro scaling' but it made no visible difference.

I'm getting desperate, and it's giving me headaches. Is there ANY way to force the Iris Xe to integer-scale my resolution and skip the subpixel rendering?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

IowaNav, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the laptop?

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

This problem with "fuzzy around the edges", started from day one or it was working fine before?

If not, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello IowaNav, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello IowaNav, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos