Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Resolution when set in 'SETTINGS' or in 'INTEL GRAPHICS CONTROL PANEL' does not actually change the output resolution on my HDMI port.

PVail
Beginner

While I'm happy to provide additional details as necessary. When connected to a 4K display, or a 1440 display, the laptop detects the resolution of the display, and pushes out video at that resolution. But, I am unable to change that resolution using either SETTINGS or the INTEL GRAPHICS CONTROL PANEL. I do have an nVidia card in the laptop as well and that also does not impact the output resolution.

On previous computers, I've just used the SETTINGS function (right click on the desktop) to setup the output resolution.

If I set the resolution to 1920x1080, on a 4K display, for example, the display APPEARS like it is 1920x1080, but the display itself still says that the input resolution is 3840x2160@60hz.

This is a REAL problem because 2160/60hz is 18Gb/s of data, and longer HDMI cables don't support that much bandwidth. I don't understand why this is occurring. I have yet to find a solution online.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the model number of your processor?

What is the model number of your device/motherboard? Is this a laptop?

What version of WIndows 10? 1909?

If a laptop, are you using the drivers provided by your laptop manufacturer for their device?

Do you have dual graphics?

Doc

0 Kudos
PVail
Beginner

I keep writing answers and it keeps deleting things when I move away from this page... Try again I guess.

i7-8750H

Dell Precision 7530

Windows 10 Pro 1903

I believe I'm using the drivers provided by Dell. I use Support Assist to get all my drivers updated.

I have a nVidia Quadro P1000 as the installed graphics card.

It does appear that all graphics output, when it is just the desktop, is controlled by the Intel Graphics Control Panel. But, I'm happy to try different things.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, if you are using IDSA, you are getting drivers from Intel.

And, since you have dual graphics on this laptop, you must use dell's graphics for BOTH. Do not use IDSA. Instead, use dell's driver update tool, and contact Dell for support of THEIR laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
PVail
Beginner

I'm happy to reach out to Dell to try to get an answer on this as well.

By the way, I have no idea what 'IDSA' means. Google happily translates to 'Infectious Disease Society of America... I'm guessing that's not what you mean. Intel Display Settings Adapter maybe?

Since I have been using Dell's SupportAssist tool, I figured all my drivers would be coming from them when using that tool. But, I've been having issues for a while and I've tried different things to try to resolve it all.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, I misunderstood. When you said support assist, I assumed you meant the Intel Driver and Support Assistant (IDSA).

Since you are using dell's support assist, you should use Dell for support of their laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
PVail
Beginner

Well, see, now that's where my newbie shows. I had no idea that Intel had something with a similar name and I should have been specific that it was "Dell SupporAssist".

Either way, I appreciate the advice and I will reach out to Dell directly and see if they can get me some support on this issue. As it definitely seems to be an issue. Since I do Audiovisual work for a living, the ability to change between 2160/60 and 2160/30 and 1080p resolutions from my laptop are super important in testing procedures.

0 Kudos