Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20596 Discussions

Screen Tearing on Intel HD Graphics 4400 after Driver Update

FWaqa
Beginner

Recently i decided to update my Intel graphics drivers to the latest version which was 20.19.15.5107 and ever since i did that I've been getting really bad screen tearing on almost every game or 3D application i run. The FPS is not exceeding my refresh rate which is 60Hz so why am i still getting screen tearing? This wasn't a problem in the previous version of the graphics driver that i was using which was 20.19.15.4279. This problem occurs really frequently which ruins the experience, also the tearing is not present while pressing Win+G to bring up the Windows game overlay and also while recording.

Software Details :

VBIOS version: 1040.1.

Graphics Driver version : 20.19.15.5107.

Almost every game application i run has this issue even at lower frames than the refresh rate.

Configurations:

Display Resolution : 1600x900

Refresh Rate : 60Hz

Problem occurs in both AC and DC

Thank you, if you need further information then please ask!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

You missed to provide important information like CPU and system (PC - laptop) model, you mentioned the issue happens in both "AC or DC", what do you mean by that? (battery and plugged mode?)

0 Kudos
FWaqa
Beginner

I have an Intel core i5 4300U CPU and my laptop model is an HP Elitebook 840 G1.

0 Kudos
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

Latest drivers from Intel seem to only include security fixes based on Release notes, this CPU is 7 years old and your laptop may have dual graphics (I see also AMD drivers on HP website).

Since you have a laptop, you should use only the drivers provided by HP, customized for your system.

Download this driver from HP: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-840-g1-notebook-pc/5405360

Disconnect from the Internet, Uninstall any graphics driver first from Windows Apps and Features, then from Device Manager to ge to the Microsoft basic driver, restart, and then install the latest one from HP website 10.18.14.5074 Rev.W shared in the previous link.

If issue persists, you can either go back to 20.19.15.4279 or contact HP to get a proper and working driver, this last recommendation is the one you should for sure try as the next step.

0 Kudos
Max44
Beginner

If you still notice screen tearing you'll need to edit the 20-intel.conf file to include another option. Use your text editor to edit the 20-intel.conf file to include the TrippleBuffer option and then reboot your system. Hopefully, one of these 20-intel.conf files will fix your screen tearing problem.

0 Kudos
FWaqa
Beginner

Thanks for the advice, can you explain how can i add that option? and where can i find the 20-intel,conf file? also i am using windows 10

0 Kudos