Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Screen flickering with videos that have subtitles - UHD620 with 26.20.100.7212 driver

Eray1
Beginner

Continuation of https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006VZSQSA4

Basically, what happens is that the driver is switching display refresh rates to save power and, in doing so, the screen blacks out for a second. In the case of watching movies with subtitles, the screen refresh rate changes from 40 to 60 Hz each time there are closed captions on the screen.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I would like to know if you have tested by using the latest graphics drivers provided directly by the system manufacturer. If not, I would strongly suggest to look for the latest one and install those to see if this issue persists.

Also, I would like to request an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

I was going to request a DxDiag but I can see you attached it on the other thread, I will analyze that one and work with it. 

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner

The DWM issue happens with the OEM-provided drivers as well, the flickering - only with the aforementioned one. Here's the bullet point from the changelog related to the problem I have.

• Support for Half Refresh Rate to improve battery life during full-screen 24Hz video playback.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29074/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=128199

0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to know if you have tried the latest driver released, please refer to the link below: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29113/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=126789

Check to see if the issue is present with this one. 

David V

0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner
0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

Have you reported this issue directly with the system manufacturer? This is an important step so they can analyze your system and if by any chance the issue is hardware-related they would replace it as needed. If you haven't, I would strongly suggest you open a support ticket with them.

In the meantime, I would like to understand when this issue started exactly, was there any software or hardware changes? If so, please let me know. 

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

Were you able to check my previous post?

Let me know if you require more assistance.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner

Hello, David.

So, to recap, the flickering issue began with driver *7212. There were no hardware changes and there are no screen defects either. As I highlighted before, the new power saving feature for video playback that cuts the screen refresh rate to "half" (40 Hz in my case) introduces flickering when entering full-screen mode, pausing, exiting from full-screen, subtitles showing up, etc. Basically, whenever there is a UI element displayed, the screen switches back to 60 Hz. The display of my laptop itself does not support variable refresh rate modes of sorts (only 40 and 60 Hz), so that is why every time the refresh rate changes, it blacks out for a second.

Is that a good enough explanation? If not, do let me know.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

Have you tested this with an external display to see if the flickering issue happens? Make sure to connect only the external display and not clone or extend but only the external display. 

If the issue is not present, this means that the behavior is related to hardware limitation of the built-in display. If there is a way to disable the power saving feature you mention it would have to be disabled by the system manufacturer so please ask them if there is a way of disabling this.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Eray, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos