Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

Sporadic driver crashes with UHD 630 on Windows 10

izstas
Beginner

Hello,

My M/B is ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS, CPU is i9-10900, more details in the SSU scan.

I have been experiencing graphics driver crashes on multiple versions, including ASUS-provided 27.20.100.9127 and Intel-provided Beta 30.0.100.9667.

When the crash occurs, my monitors flash black for a second and Windows logs "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.". No BSOD. There is no clear reproduction procedure, but I believe I always have Google Chrome running when that occurs. Sometimes I can go for a week without a crash, sometimes I get multiple per day.

I have also attached a WER (Windows Error Reporting) report generated during one of such crashes.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello izstas

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on the information provided, we understand that you have tested with the latest customized driver from ASUS* and with the latest Intel® generic BETA driver version 30.0.100.9667. However, we are not sure if you have tried with the latest Intel generic (stable and official) driver version 27.20.100.9466.

For this scenario and considering the error message, we would like to recommend the following steps

1- If possible, try different monitors and display cables. Use straight connections, with no video adapters/dongles in between.

2- In the case of a multi-monitor setup, check if the issue happens when only one display is attached.

3- Perform a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* using Intel® Graphics DHC driver Version: 27.20.100.9466 (Latest). During the process, please make sure all steps are followed, including disconnecting from the Internet and making sure you get to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter before trying to install the graphics driver.

4- Update the Microsoft* .NET Framework software on your computer. This may help to resolve some issues (such as the stopped responding/successfully recovered error message) with a simple update to the systems .NET Framework* software. This software is available from the Microsoft website. For proper/further assistance, please contact Microsoft* Support.

5- Ensure your Microsoft* operating system is up to date

• Open Windows Update settings (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update).
  • Click Check for updates.
  • Once the update appears, select Download and install now.
  • Restart your device to complete the update installation process.

6- Check BIOS and memory RAM settings.

• Based on the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel SSU) report, we noticed the RAM Configured Clock Speed is running at 3200 MHz¹. It is worth mentioning that the Intel® Core™ i9-10900 Processor supports a Maximum Memory speed of DDR4-2933MHz. Could you please confirm if you enabled Intel XMP or any other "auto tunning setting" either through BIOS or software on Windows?
  • If yes, we recommend reverting those changes or loading BIOS defaults and making sure the memory RAM is running within Intel®'s published specifications. Please contact your motherboard vendor (OEM) for further information.

7- Based on ASUS* website, there is a new BIOS version available for the system: Version 2401. Check with your OEM if this update may include a fix related to this behavior and if they recommend updating the BIOS.

If the behavior persists, please provide the following details

1. Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.
  2. Provide a new Intel® SSU report.
  3. Provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link.
  4. How are you connecting to the monitor? (Video ports and cable types in use?) Are you using a straight-through connection (e.g.: HDMI-to-HDMI) to connect the computer to the monitor? Or are you using video adapters or cable converters?
  5. Does the issue happen when your monitor is set to a particular setting? (Note: You may try returning the video resolution settings back to a standard refresh rate and color depth to resolve the issue)
  6. When was the last time the system worked without errors? What changes were made since then; driver updates, added hardware, or installed software? (Note: Try removing the changes. For instance, uninstall recently added hardware/software or roll back drivers to the previous version to eliminate issues).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Notes:

¹ Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Check with the manufacturers of the system and components for additional details.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello izstas

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
izstas
Beginner

Hello Andrew, thank you for checking in.

Unfortunately due to the sporadic nature of the issue it's difficult to come to conclusions. So far I haven't run into the problem since updating the BIOS to 2401. I'll keep watching and try the other provided recommendations if necessary.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello izstas

Thank you for your response. Sure, no problem, we do understand the issue was sporadic. We are checking this thread and we would like to know if the system is still running without crashes after one week since the last feedback you provided.

If you believe the issue has been solved, feel free to let us know. For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello izstas

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Do you consider the issue is solved after updating the BIOS as you mentioned before? For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello izstas

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos