Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Strange issue with UHD 630 + DP 1.2 + 4k60fps HDR10

stna1981
Novice

Hello,

according to press releases, Intel supports Netflix 4K HDR starting with Kaby Lake chips. I have a strange issue with my current setup which I want to use to play Netflix in 4K HDR on my projector. HDR requires a colour depth of at least 10bpc and as Netflix content is always 60fps, UHD630 must be capable of doing 4K60fps HDR with 10bit deep colour depth.

Setup 1:

- Gigabyte C246M-WU4 with Xeon E-2144G and nVidia Geforce GTX 1080

- DP to HDMI 2.0b Converter Cable (Club 3D CAC-1082)

- EPSON EH-TW 9400 4K HDR projector

Setup 2:

- Gigabyte C246M-WU4 with Xeon E-2144G and UHD Graphics 630

- DP to HDMI 2.0b Converter Cable (Club 3D CAC-1082)

- EPSON EH-TW 9400 4K HDR projector

Setup 1 can play 4K60fps with BT.2020, HDR10, YCbCr 4:2:0 & 12bit Deep Cplour (see attached screenshot1) perfectly fine. This can be set accordingly in the nVidia Control Panel (see attached screenshot2).

That's where we come to the issue I have with setup 2. The Intel driver has an option to force YCbCr, but you cannot set whether you want to have 4:2:0 or 4:4:4. And moreover, there's no option to set the color depth (bpc).

When I set the output to YCbCr and the resolution to 3840 x 2160 @ 30fps, the Intel UHD 630 switches to 4:4:4 and 12bpc, which is fine. The bandwidth needed for this is 13.36 Gbps.

When I set the output to YCbCr and the resolution to 3840 x 2160 @ 60fps, the Intel UHD 630 switches to 4:2:0 and 8bpc, which is NOT fine. The bandwidth needed for this is only 8.91 Gbps.

Regarding the bandwidth, it would absolutely make more sense to switch the output to 4K60fps 4:2:0 and 12bps as the bandwidth needed for this is the same 13.36 Gbps as for 4:4:4 and 12bits (with 30fps). By the way, DP 1.2 offers a bandwidth of 17.28 GBit/s which is a lot more than needed for 4:2:0 with 12bit.

So how can I get the Intel UHD630 to display Netflix properly in 4K HDR as advertised by Intel?

Best regards

Stefan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @stna1981​ 

I apologize for the late reply.

Our development team is working hard on getting the option for us to manually select Color Depth and Color Space via Intel® Graphics Command Center (IGCC), which I believe is going to take care of this issue permanently. More so, the last information piece I got was that this development effort was moved to the highest priority (i.e. we might see progress by end of year or early 2020).

f it is OK with you, I'll be temporarily closing this thread since I can confirm our dev team is working on this issue (under internal bug ID 14010239023) and all we can do for now is wait for the next IGCC updates.

On a personal note, this would be one of the changes expected in Intel® Graphics Command Center that I am most excited about, because I realize not having this capability causes a lot of issues in a time where 10 or 12 bit panels are more common.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello stna1981,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

As you stated on your post, neither the Intel® Graphics Command Center nor the Intel® Graphics Control Panel have options to modify the Color Depth or Subsampling. By design, these options are not available. As a result, the operating system is in charge of this task, and not the graphics driver.

Now, we would like to gather more information to continue working on this behavior reported below:

"When I set the output to YCbCr and the resolution to 3840 x 2160 @ 60fps, the Intel UHD 630 switches to 4:2:0 and 8bpc, which is NOT fine. The bandwidth needed for this is only 8.91 Gbps."

Could you please provide us with steps to reproduce this behavior?

Note: Our support is only provided in English. We may not be able to translate screenshots attached to the thread. To better assist you, we use a translation tool embedded on this Intel® Community.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
stna1981
Novice

Hi Wanner,

steps to get the output signal of 3840 x 2160 @ 60fps 4:2:0 8bpc" are:

1. Set "Resolution" to "3840 x 2160" and "Refresh Rate" to "60p" in the "Display" tab (section "General") of the Intel Graphics Command Center.
  2. Set "YCbCr" to "On" (section "Colors") - also see screenshot.

Then the signal is sent to the receiver with 8bpc and 4:2:0. Correct would be 12bpc and 4:2:0.

Best regards

Stefan

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello stna1981,

Thank you for your response.

We will attempt to reproduce the behavior reported and get back to you as soon as possible.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello stna1981,

We have been trying to reproduce this issue in-house. Please try these steps and let us know of the outcome.

1. Use 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz but with YCbCr switched off.

Is your display reporting 4:2:0 and 10/12bpc? Please provide a photo or screenshot of Display's Info screen.

2. Use 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz with YCbCr switched off. In Windows 'Display Settings', turn on the 'HDR and WCG' option.

Is your display reporting 4:2:0 and 10/12bpc? Please provide a photo or screenshot of Display's Info screen.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
stna1981
Novice

Hi Wanner,

I made a set of tests with the following result:

First 4 tests are all with YCbCr switched off:

1. 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz @ YCbCr switched off @ HDR/WCG switched off-> No 4:2:0, no 12bpc -> instead: RGB & 8bpc

2.jpg

2. 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz @ YCbCr switched off @ HDR/WCG switched on-> No 4:2:0, no 12bpc -> instead: RGB & 8bpc

4.jpg

3. 3840 x 2160 @ 30hz @ YCbCr switched off @ HDR/WCG switched off-> No 4:2:0, no 12bpc -> instead: RGB & 8bpc

1.jpg

4. 3840 x 2160 @ 30hz @ YCbCr switched off @ HDR/WCG switched on-> No 4:2:0, but 12bpc -> instead of RGB now Component

3.jpg

Next tests are all with YCbCr switched on:

5. 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz @ YCbCr switched on @ HDR/WCG switched off-> Now we have 4:2:0, but no 12bpc -> instead: 8bpc

6.jpg

6. 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz @ YCbCr switched on @ HDR/WCG switched on-> Now we have 4:2:0, but no 12bpc -> instead: 8bpc

8.jpg

7. 3840 x 2160 @ 30hz @ YCbCr switched on @ HDR/WCG switched off-> Now we have 4:4:4 but no 12bpc -> instead: 8bpc

5.jpg

8. 3840 x 2160 @ 30hz @ YCbCr switched on @ HDR/WCG switched on-> Now we have 4:4:4 and 12bpc -> but I need to have this with 60p and not only 30p

7.jpg

Conclusions:

• To get 12bpc, we need to enable HDR/WCG in Windows (makes sense)
  • To get 4:2:0, we need to activate YCbCr (there seems to be a auto fallback from RGB to Component in some cases, but not to 4:2:0 (case 4)
  • There is enough DP/HDMI bandwidth for 4K60fps @ 4:2:0 @ 12bpc, but the driver makes a fallback to 8bpc for some reason which is not correct

Best regards

Stefan

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello stna1981,

Thank you for posting your findings.

We will review this details in-house and update this thread as soon as possible. 

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
stna1981
Novice

Hi Wanner,

I did some cross reading in this forum and I could see that you've already been involved in quite a few of discussions about the same topic. From what I could find out so far, these HDR problems only occur when an adapter from DP to HDMI is being used. A native DP connection seems to work. However, if you want to connect a TV, projector or AV receiver to your PC, DP only is not an option. So it is a valid use case for the users to use a corresponding adapter.

In its white paper about Deep Colour, Intel tells that for 2160p60 (YUV420) and 12bpc, an LSPCon is needed, defining LSPCON as "a convertor device which helps with providing HDMI2.0 output from a DisplayPort output and is soldered on board". What I've learned is that it makes no difference whether the LSPCon is soldered on the board or whether an external adapter with the same chipset is being used. Moreover, Intel tells that HDR is for "limited LSPCON vendors alone, special support required from LSPCON side".

In its white paper about HDR, Intel mentions LSPCons from MegaChips (MCDP2800) or Parade (PS175). However, even adapters with these chipsets or the successors MCDP2900 resp. PS176/PS186 seem not to work properly. As soon as the signal is converted from DP to HDMI, the colour depth per channel drops to 8bpc if 4k60p is selected, even when YCbCr 4:2:0 is being used and therefore the bandwidth is not higher than 4k30p 4:4:4 12bpc - which works totally fine.

The HDMI 2.0 bandwidth would allow for a maximum of 4K60p 4:2:2 with 12bpc.

For me this looks like a bug in the Intel Display driver as it automatically tries to adjust Chroma and (Deep) Colour according to the detected bandwidth which leads to wrong results for 4K60p 12bpc. Easiest solution would be to make the Chroma subsampling and colour depth adjustable manually like it is possible in the nVidia driver. Then we could set 4K60p 4:2:0 12bpc manually which is 13.37 Gbps (way under the HDMI 2.0 limit of 18 Gbps) and many people would be happy.

Best regards

Stefan

stna1981
Novice
0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello,

We are still investigating this situation. The first tests I have done here look a bit inconclusive on 4:4:4 vs 4:2:0 as not all display's OSD have the level of details your Projector shows (e.g. current subsampling and color space) so it requires some manual tests

We're moving this to our debug team, however I cannot provide an ETA for updates since their queue is quite busy. As soon as there is an update we'll update this thread.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
stna1981
Novice

@Ronald_Intel​ Almost one month has passed now, any update?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @stna1981​ 

I apologize for the late reply.

Our development team is working hard on getting the option for us to manually select Color Depth and Color Space via Intel® Graphics Command Center (IGCC), which I believe is going to take care of this issue permanently. More so, the last information piece I got was that this development effort was moved to the highest priority (i.e. we might see progress by end of year or early 2020).

f it is OK with you, I'll be temporarily closing this thread since I can confirm our dev team is working on this issue (under internal bug ID 14010239023) and all we can do for now is wait for the next IGCC updates.

On a personal note, this would be one of the changes expected in Intel® Graphics Command Center that I am most excited about, because I realize not having this capability causes a lot of issues in a time where 10 or 12 bit panels are more common.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

stna1981
Novice

Can I somehow volunteer to test this future driver before its public release?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

I'm not sure we'll do a public Beta or Test release when the changes are ready, but if we do I'll make sure you get notified.

Thanks for you willingness to help.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
PMeie2
Beginner

@Ronald_Intel​  @WannerG_Intel​ I am very interested in this topic too. Now, since the last answer from support, nearly half a year has passed. Is there any progress by the dev team working on this issue (under internal bug ID 14010239023)?

Best regards, Peter

0 Kudos
stna1981
Novice

So what's the status now of this internal bug ID 14010239023?

A solution was promised for early 2020, now its one year later and I can't see any improvement regarding this issue in the driver. Or did I just miss it?

Please give an update.

0 Kudos
mat1990dj
Beginner

+1

Is there anything coming?

0 Kudos